Zone1 'Everyday people', one of the great songs of the 70s.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Sly and The Family Stone was a great group and this was one of their best songs imo:

Everyday People

Sometimes I'm right and I can be wrong
My own beliefs are in my song
The butcher, the banker, the drummer and then
Makes no difference what group I'm in
I am everyday people, yeah, yeah
There is a blue one who can't accept
The green one for living with
A fat one tryin' to be a skinny one
Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby-dooby-dooby
We got to live together
I am no better and neither are you
We're all the same, whatever we do
You love me, you hate me
You know me and then
You can't figure out the bag I'm in
I am everyday people
There is a long hair
That doesn't like the short hair
For being such a rich one
That will not help the poor one
And so on and so on, scooby-dooby-dooby
We got to live together
There is a yellow one that won't
Accept the black one
That won't accept the red one
That won't accept the white one
And so on and so on and
Scooby-dooby-dooby
I am everyday people

Sly and The Family Stone was a great group and this was one of their best songs imo:

Everyday People

Sometimes I'm right and I can be wrong
My own beliefs are in my song
The butcher, the banker, the drummer and then
Makes no difference what group I'm in
I am everyday people, yeah, yeah
There is a blue one who can't accept
The green one for living with
A fat one tryin' to be a skinny one
And so on and so on and scooby-dooby-dooby
We got to live together
I am no better and neither are you
We're all the same, whatever we do
You love me, you hate me
You know me and then
You can't figure out the bag I'm in
I am everyday people
There is a long hair
That doesn't like the short hair
For being such a rich one
That will not help the poor one
And so on and so on, scooby-dooby-dooby
We got to live together
There is a yellow one that won't
Accept the black one
That won't accept the red one
That won't accept the white one
And so on and so on and
Scooby-dooby-dooby
I am everyday people

I wasn't sure, so I had to look. That old goober is still alive today. I thought he died years ago.

1660446706652.png

Hopefully he didn't turn into a hater in his old age, I'm glad he's still alive!
He fell on hard times and was homeless, living on the street in Los Angeles. Supposedly things began to look up for him after he won a lawsuit for royalties that he was not paid.

Yes, musicians and athletes seem to be very vulnerable to being victims of unethical people.
Musicians especially, due to how recording contracts are sometimes structured by unscrupulous music producers, and record labels . Unfortunately, far too many do not procure legal assistance in interpreting the fine print as to how royalties are calculated and distributed.

An ex wife of a member of one of the original Temptations(David Ruffin) is a long time good friend of mine, and explained in detail how so many Motown performers were left actually owing money to Motown even after they recorded numerous hit songs for them back in the 60's. and 70's.

You may not be old enough to recall Sam Cooke, but there has been long standing suspicion that his murder was due to him being targeted for his efforts to own the rights to all of his own music and to be free of being tethered to a record label on their terms.

I also recently saw this informative documentary about Sly Stone, and what contributed to his financial difficulties in later years, and what he went through because of it.

Last edited:
Musicians especially, due to how recording contracts are sometimes structured by unscrupulous music producers, and record labels . Unfortunately, far too many do not procure legal assistance in interpreting the fine print as to how royalties are calculated and distributed.

An ex wife of a member of one of the original Temptations(David Ruffin) is a long time good friend of mine, and explained in detail how so many Motown performers were left actually owing money to Motown even after they recorded numerous hit songs for them back in the 60's. and 70's.

You may not be old enough to recall Sam Cooke, but there has been long standing suspicion that his murder was due to him being targeted for his efforts to own the rights to all of his own music and to be free of being tethered to a record label on their terms.

I also recently saw this informative documentary about Sly Stone, and what contributed to his financial difficulties in later years, and what he went through because of it.

It really sucks that these brilliantly talented and sensitive people are exploited so badly by money grubbing scum. And it seems they are never held accountable.

Forum List

Back