‘Everywhere jam-packed’: mayor of Santorini warns of overtourism crisis

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

Ive never been to Santorini but I always wanted to go. But I think I will give it a miss now. It sounds horrific.

The greeks are in a bit of a bind. They need tourists but if they have too many it destroys the very thing that people want to see.

Its not just Santorini. Venice, Prague, Amsterdm are among other spots under threat.

At least they can take action locally. It sounds like Santorini is managed by the national govt.

Maybe the world needs to find somewhere else to visit ?

Ive never been to Santorini but I always wanted to go. But I think I will give it a miss now. It sounds horrific.

The greeks are in a bit of a bind. They need tourists but if they have too many it destroys the very thing that people want to see.

Its not just Santorini. Venice, Prague, Amsterdm are among other spots under threat.

At least they can take action locally. It sounds like Santorini is managed by the national govt.

Add Barcelona to that list Tommy:

My Barcelona is being destroyed by mass tourism – but kicking visitors out isn’t the answer

Greece has been in a bit of a bind since it overspent and was unable to pay its debt back. In 2023, they were still at 160.2% debt-to-GDP ratio, and they still haven't recovered from the massive overspending and mismanagement of their funds.

Greece has been in a bit of a bind since it overspent and was unable to pay its debt back. In 2023, they were still at 160.2% debt-to-GDP ratio, and they still haven't recovered from the massive overspending and mismanagement of their funds.
Tourism is their only earner.Same as Turkey really.

What free stuff ?
Overspending on infrastructure, high spending on wages and pensions, early retirement incentives, universal healthcare, poverty alleviation programs, overstaffed public sector, energy and transportation subsidies, over-support of state-owned enterprises (i.e. utilities and transportation), and piss-poor management of their revenue.

Overspending on infrastructure, high spending on wages and pensions, early retirement incentives, universal healthcare, poverty alleviation programs, overstaffed public sector, energy and transportation subsidies, over-support of state-owned enterprises (i.e. utilities and transportation), and piss-poor management of their revenue.
I was hoping that you could give an example.

I am glad they overrun Santorini, Mykonos, and all the other popular Greek islands, when you know which ones are overrun, you find one of the other hundreds of islands to chill on. I went to Vietnam hoping there would be less Westerners than in Thailand, but it was as bad, possibly even worse.

I wonder if this is the post-Covid effect?

Tourism is their only earner.Same as Turkey really.
I'm seeing Turkey is a really underrated place, lots of beauty and history, and hotel prices are around $35 to $50, but Turkey has islands too, and on those rooms start at $150 a night in peak season. Unlikely to find one cheaper, most cost more. One drawback to Turkey is finding alcohol like you do in Greece and other nearby countries.

This should go in the Travel forum.

Last edited:
I'm seeing Turkey is a really underrated place, lots of beauty and history, and hotel prices are around $35 to $50, but Turkey has islands too, and on those rooms start at $150 a night in peak season. Unlikely to find one cheaper, most cost more. One drawback to Turkey is finding alcohol like you do in Greece and other nearby countries.

This should go in the Travel forum.
My brother used to go there every year. You can get a beer or a glass of wine everywhere. Efes is the biggest beer btand.
Its a muslim country but they are quite relaxed. Nice people.

Forum List

Back