‘Everywhere jam-packed’: mayor of Santorini warns of overtourism crisis

I am glad they overrun Santorini, Mykonos, and all the other popular Greek islands, when you know which ones are overrun, you find one of the other hundreds of islands to chill on. I went to Vietnam hoping there would be less Westerners than in Thailand, but it was as bad, possibly even worse.

I wonder if this is the post-Covid effect?

What's wrong with "Westerners"?

No, you just recited a list out of your atse.
LOL .. Greece overspent. Period. This is just across the categories I listed, and doesn't include their high-interest payments for borrowing money, the military (which was the highest in the EU compared to GDP), social programs (child benefits, disability benefits and housing subsidies), as well as their mismanagement of social programs which led to inefficiencies and higher costs.

CategorySpending as % of GDP (2009-2010)
Pensions and Social Security17-18%
Public Sector Wages12-13%
Healthcare6-7%
Public Investments and Infrastructure4%
Support for State-Owned Enterprises1-2%
Energy and Transportation Subsidies1%
Poverty Alleviation Programs1-2%

LOL .. Greece overspent. Period. This is just across the categories I listed, and doesn't include their high-interest payments for borrowing money, the military (which was the highest in the EU compared to GDP), social programs (child benefits, disability benefits and housing subsidies), as well as their mismanagement of social programs which led to inefficiencies and higher costs.

CategorySpending as % of GDP (2009-2010)
Pensions and Social Security17-18%
Public Sector Wages12-13%
Healthcare6-7%
Public Investments and Infrastructure4%
Support for State-Owned Enterprises1-2%
Energy and Transportation Subsidies1%
Poverty Alleviation Programs1-2%
Greece spends a lot on their military due to their long standing conflict with Turkey.

Since every tourist in Santorini arrived by cruise ship, it's fairly simple to control the crowds: limit cruise ships to the number the island can comfortably tolerate.

Forum List

Back