What happened to the Republican party?

The republicans have been left for years. Reagan ruined conservatism.
Reagan was a figurehead for the folks running the show. Propped up by Michael Deaver, who would have made a great Hollywood producer. The revisionist history of the era is one of the most impressive feats of propaganda ever pulled off.

Read, "Sleepwalking Through History" by Haynes Johnson.

Yeah. There had been (and I guess we didn't see it) a pretty fucking deep reservoir of rage and resentment building over the last three decades or so, amplified 100x by 24/7/365 talk radio and Fox and the internet.
Quite a lot of that can be traced to the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine.........and thus Reagan......as I'm sure you know.

Someone who isn't taking sides on the culture war. Someone who isn't trying to use the government to "reshape" society.

Joe Manchin wouldn't be great, but he'd be way better than Harris or Trump. We need someone who most voters can find acceptable. The two party circle jerk just doesn't work.
Someone who isn't taking sides on the culture war? What, are we just supposed to stay neutral on bigotry? Someone who isn't trying to use government to reshape society? What? Governments job is to create the necessary things to make society function, if there is a problem government must fix it.

Joe Manchin is a pos who is a paid for by coal. He is no centrist and he quit the Senate because he was going to lose to Jim Justice. This is why I laugh at you so called centrists because the people you guys tak about are no better than anyone else. IMO this society needs to be restructured. And we have more than 2 parties. What needs to happen is that the other parties need to present sane patforms and run people who can captivate those who are distisifed with the 2 big parties. Ji Stien, Cornel West and RFK Jr in't it.

Quite a lot of that can be traced to the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine.........and thus Reagan......as I'm sure you know.
Yes, the end of the fairness doctrine opened up the airwaves to race hustlers who played on resentments held by people who had been angry ever since the Civil Rights Movement ended various laws.

Yeah. There had been (and I guess we didn't see it) a pretty fucking deep reservoir of rage and resentment building over the last three decades or so, amplified 100x by 24/7/365 talk radio and Fox and the internet. And then a shameless con man came along and let it all out.

I'm not saying their concerns are without merit, and I have some general agreements with them. But the way they have been manipulated into advocating for them has put this country right on the fucking edge, and you see people across the political spectrum saying it.
Actually many of their concerns were without merit.

Someone who isn't taking sides on the culture war? What, are we just supposed to stay neutral on bigotry?
No. You're supposed to recognize that people have different opinions, and they're entitled to them. Government is not there to dictate social norms.
Someone who isn't trying to use government to reshape society? What? Governments job is to create the necessary things to make society function, if there is a problem government must fix it.
Government is there to protect our rights. To protect our freedom to decide the shape of society for ourselves, voluntarily and collaboratively. It's not there for once side to force its values on the other.
Joe Manchin is a pos who is a paid for by coal. He is no centrist and he quit the Senate because he was going to lose to Jim Justice. This is why I laugh at you so called centrists because the people you guys tak about are no better than anyone else.
I'm not really a "centrist", and I've never promote Joe Manchin. But if we don't start electing consensus candidates, leaders the whole country can accept, we're doomed.
IMO this society needs to be restructured.
Exactly. You're a left partisan. Part of the problem.
What needs to happen is that the other parties need to present sane patforms and run people who can captivate those who are distisifed with the 2 big parties.
They have. And do. But it's pointless because people keep falling for the fear-monger of Ds and Rs. As long as most voters are playing the "lesser-of-two-evils" game, we're gonna keep getting "evil".

Yes, I agree. He had his propaganda MEU and ushered in the belief of no compromise with democrats. Gingrich led an extremist movement in congress and it still affects us now.
Yup. He figured out a way, through lies and deceit, to break the stranglehold Dems had had on Congress for decades. With it out the door went decorum, comity, and mutual respect.

• Fact
Reactions: IM2
Yes, the end of the fairness doctrine opened up the airwaves to race hustlers who played on resentments held by people who had been angry ever since the Civil Rights Movement ended various laws.
It's no coincidence that right wing talk radio exploded on the scene after the repeal. Conservatives like Limbaugh could lie all day with impunity.

No. You're supposed to recognize that people have different opinions, and they're entitled to them. Government is not there to dictate social norms.
The government enacts laws. laws dictate social norms.

Government is there to protect our rights. To protect our freedom to decide the shape of society for ourselves, voluntarily and collaboratively. It's not there for once side to force its values on the other.
One side has consistently tried forcing their values on others. You seem opposed to any response to that.

I'm not really a "centrist", and I've never promote Joe Manchin. But if we don't start electing consensus candidates, leaders the whole country can accept, we're doomed.

Most work done in congress happens because of a consensus. Each party has phiosophy and that is what they run on. In a nation of 330 million there is not going to ever be a consensus candidate.

Exactly. You're a left partisan. Part of the problem.

Wrong. I just happen to be a member of a popuationin America that has continually been fucked over by society and see that some things need to change.

“Justice for black people will not flow into this society merely from court decisions nor from fountains of political oratory…White America must recognize that justice for black people cannot be achieved without radical changes in the structure of our society.”
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

They have. And do. But it's pointless because people keep falling for the fear-monger of Ds and Rs. As long as most voters are playing the "lesser-of-two-evils" game, we're gonna keep getting "evil".

I think some people have falsely believed that it has been a choice between two evils. In this election there is only one evil. Harris and Trump do not offer the same thing, nor do they both equally endanger the country.

The government enacts laws. laws dictate social norms.
Yes. That's the premise of the modern liberal. I prefer freedom.
One side has consistently tried forcing their values on others.
Yes, but now Republicans are doing the same thing in response.
Most work done in congress happens because of a consensus. Each party has phiosophy and that is what they run on. In a nation of 330 million there is not going to ever be a consensus candidate.
Bullshit. I'm not talking about lock step agreement. But we shouldn't end every fucking election with half the county in denial, chanting "Not my President". We need someone that half the country doesn't hate right out of the gate.
Wrong. I just happen to be a member of a population in America that has continually been fucked over by society and see that some things need change.
I'm not really interested in your personal circumstances. As voters, as citizens, I think we have a responsibility to look past our personal welfare and vote for leadership that will be good for the country as a whole. The back and forth partisan shit is killing us.
I think some people have falsely believed that it has been a choice between two evils. In this election there is only one evil. Harris and Trump do not offer the same thing, nor do they both equally endanger the country.
Again, you're a true believer. But neither party's candidate seems to have any intention of uniting the country. They just want to score points for their side.

Last edited:
es. That's the premise of the modern liberal. I prefer freedom.

No its how things actually work.

Yes, but now Republicans are doing the same thing in response.
Republicans aren't responding. Republicans are the ones doing it. They have been doing this for 60 years. This is a mutiracial, multicultural nation and so whites don't get to decide what society is by themselves.

Bullshit. I'm not talking about lock step agreement. But we shouldn't end every fucking election with half the county in denial, chanting "Not my President". We need someone that half the country doesn't hate right out of the gate.

There will aways be part of the country that doesn't like whoever is president no matter what. What really needs to happen is that we get rid of a method whereby the loser of the popular vote ends up as president. Then we do something about the disinformation networks that spead lies.

I'm not really interested in your personal circumstances. As voters, as citizens, I think we have a responsibility to look past our personal welfare and vote for leadership that will be good for the country as a whole. The back and forth partisan shit is killing us.
And this is not just my personal circumstance. It is the circumstance of over 130 million Americans and rising. So what's good for the country is for whites to stop thinking like you do on this matter. Society must be restructured to become more inclusive and accepting of others besides whites.

Again, you're a true believer. But neither party's candidate seems to have any intention of uniting the country. They just want to score points for their side.

Nah, I'm no true believer. But thats what those such as yourself always try when the reality of your position is shown. Both candidates do not offer the same thing. Both candidates are not trying to divide ths country. But this country cannot unite when people like you dismiss something that affects millions of people as somebodys personal circumstance. You don't want a united country unless it is united only on your terms.

Last edited:
There will aways be part of the country that doesn't like whoever is president no matter what.
We've gone far past "doesn't like". Partisans convince themselves that the other side is "pure evil'. They completely flip out. And then the losers work feverishly to block everything the winner tries to do. They completely forget that we're all on the same side, that we're all Americans.
What really needs to happen is that we get rid of a method whereby the loser of the popular vote ends up as president. Then we do something about the disinformation networks that spead lies.
Yes. Ranked choice voting would help a great deal. It would also tone down the divisive fear monger and let other parties get some real feedback on voter preferences.
And this is not just my personal circumstance. It is the circumstance of over 130 million Americans and rising. So what's good for the country is for whites to stop thinking like you do on this matter.
I'm pretty sure you don't understand how I'm thinking. Most partisans don't. I just doesn't fit in their worldview.
Society must be restructured to become more inclusive and accepting of others besides whites.
Well, sorry. But we don't get to just "restructure" society. That's not what government is for, and trying to use it for that creates the kind of frantic division and fear that we're now living through. People don't much like being "restructured".
Nah, I'm no true believer. But thats what those such as yourself always try when the reaity of your position is shown. Both candidates do not offer the same thing. Both candidates are not trying to divide the country.
I'm calling flat out bullshit on that. Dems are just as divisive as Republicans.

Trump's GOP shows its extremism could be a problem in November

If former President Trump and his fellow Republicans lose in November, weeks like this might be to blame.
Why it matters: Trump is beloved by the Republican Party's MAGA base. But the far-right stamp he's put on the GOP is bursting into view in ways that are giving even some Republicans pause — and could complicate their push for the swing voters they'll need in November.

• By week's end, Trump's GOP was tied to calling frozen embryos children, appeals to kill democracy, and giving Vladimir Putin a pass on targeting his enemies.
  • It's all giving Democrats another chance to cast MAGA Republicans as extremists bent on destroying rights and traditions that most Americans support.

The movement to the far right by the former GOP, now POT, is well documented and well understood. As is the cost the party has paid as MAGAist candidates have been largely rejected for their allegiance to the extremism of trumpery. It's a big part of the reason what was supposed to be the congressional Red Wave in the last election cycle completely fizzled.

Far more difficult to explain than their radicalization, which actually began in the 80's, is their choice of a current leader. He does not possess conservative bona fides. Or any coherent political philosophy for that matter. Yet he has galvanized support like no other figure in US history around his boorish personality.

As a consequence, the party has morphed in to one working on a national ban on abortions, virtually unrestricted gun ownership of any kind of gun, is in denial of the scientifically proven affect of burning fossil fuels which releases billions of tons of CO2 in to the atmosphere, support for voter suppression laws, turning back the clock on gay rights, centralized power in the hands of the executive, the right of the minority to rule, etc.

It didn't use to be this way. Repubs from Eisenhower to McCain were reasonable men who sought compromise rather than confrontation. Their impulse when addressing a national problem was, "how can we fix this?" "We" meaning both Repubs and Dems. The first impulse of MAGAists is to ask, "how can we blame this on Dems and then obstruct anything they want to do to address the problem."
Why do you even care?

The rank & file became convinced that talk radio rhetoric, MAGA "news" sources and from-Mom's-basement conspiracy websites were "The Truth", simply because they agreed with what was said.

Then they allowed those voices to create an entirely separate, self-contained informational ecosystem that made its own reality as it went. And they went right along with it, hook, line and sinker.

Then they fell for the most obvious con man in the history of the country simply because he was a flamboyant, shameless celebrity who was willing to pretend he likes them, and attacked those they hate.

Now they're in danger in handing the keys to the Left, and if they do, they'll play the victim, as usual.
1725053032477.png

First of all. I’m so “blinking” sick and tired of this nonsense about the embryos talks and to my conservative friends. You guys really want to die on this hill because it is working really well for you guys. You guys are so dumb. At this point people should keep it under their hippa rights and never talk about it. WOULD YOU FOOLS WAKE UP AND REALIZING THAT THIS WILL NEVER GO YOUR FAVOR and the funny thing is we are a bunch of idiots who talks two ways out of our mouths. Some people talk about oh well we are ok with certain stages but others don’t care about stages. It’s beyond pathetic that these are the same people who don’t care about the kids who are in the system right now but we have to save them. Give me a break

Last edited:

Forum List

Back