Exercise/diet motivation...

I think the best motivation is early success. When I first started paleo two years ago I lost 11 pounds in a week just by removing grains and junk from my diet. That led me to remove other horrible things from my diet like fruit juices and to start exercising. After 5 months I'd lost 40 pounds and have kept it off ever since. Since then it's just become my lifestyle and no real motivation is necessary.

We are creatures of habit, and some discipline, after the goal has been reached. :thup:

I think the best motivation is early success. When I first started paleo two years ago I lost 11 pounds in a week just by removing grains and junk from my diet. That led me to remove other horrible things from my diet like fruit juices and to start exercising. After 5 months I'd lost 40 pounds and have kept it off ever since. Since then it's just become my lifestyle and no real motivation is necessary.

How about exercise? Have you continued to workout consistently? Even skinny people need to workout. Also, cut out the crappy food, yes but also be sure to add food with good nutritional value. My issue right now is getting outside and working out consistently.

How about exercise? Have you continued to workout consistently? Even skinny people need to workout. Also, cut out the crappy food, yes but also be sure to add food with good nutritional value. My issue right now is getting outside and working out consistently.

At least two heavy workouts a week, and when it warms up I'll add sprints back into the mix one day a week. And you're absolutely right about adding food with better nutritional value. I've added more fatty fish, nuts (minus peanuts), berries, clean carbs like sweet potatoes, healthy fats, and began eating liver. I'm considering trying other organ meats as well.

Studying can be hard work, and you’ll need some serious brain fuel to get you through acing that exam and breezing through getting your degree. Yet the foods many students reach for when they’re deep in a study session are often not only unhealthy, but not exactly ideal choices for energy, concentration and boosting your brainpower. Instead of going for salty, sweet or fatty snacks — however satisfying they may be — try these healthy alternatives instead. Your grades, your brain and your waistline will thank you.

Instead of Potato Chips:

Those crispy taters are delicious, but these snacks are healthier and pack more of a nutritional punch. Plus, they’ll still give you that crunch you’re looking for.

Popcorn. As long as you don’t go for the super buttery version, popcorn can be a delicious and incredibly satisfying alternative to chips.

Kale Chips. They might not sound appealing, but give these crisps a try. They not only taste good, but are loaded with nutrients.

Veggies. Baby carrots, sugar snap peas, celery and bell peppers offer up a crisp, crunchy snack that’s full of the stuff your body needs.

Pita Chips. You can make or buy whole grain pita chips that are healthier than potato chips, but still pretty delicious.

Salted Cucumber Slices. Cucumbers are an excellent choice for giving you that crunch you crave. Add a little salt (maybe some spice) and you get a great study snack.
Ants on a Log. Bring back your childhood with this snack that offers up a serious crunch and some protein to power your brain.

Whole Wheat Pretzels. Whether you go for the soft version or the crunchy, these snacks are better for you than chips, in moderation of course.

Almonds. Roasted almonds are an excellent source of protein and fiber, making them perfect for study snacking.

Cashews. Go for the unsalted version and you can enjoy all the healthful benefits of this nut without any of the drawbacks.

Trail Mix. If you don’t want to eat plain nuts, mix them up with dried fruits and pretzels to make your own healthy trail mix.

Whole Grain Crackers. Skip those weak crackers and go for the whole grain, fibrous ones instead. They’ll do a better job filling you up and they’re better for you to boot.
Sunflower Seeds. If you want to mindlessly chew on something while you study, these small seeds are a great choice.

Peanuts. Grab a handful of peanuts while you’re studying to get a quick energy boost from this protein-loaded nut.

Fruit Chips. There’s more than one way to eat fruit; in this chip form they may make you not even miss the potato kind.

Veggie Chips. If you just really need to eat some kind of chip, choose a healthier alternative. Veggie chips have more nutrients and can be even better for you if they’re baked.

Pickles. Pickles are loaded with sodium, it’s true, but if you only have a couple they’re a healthier, lower calorie snack than chips by far.

100 Healthy Study Snacks You Should Reach For Instead - Associate Degree.com

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp seasoning (chipotle, for a salt-free blend I like Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle)
1 tbsp fresh rosemary (finely chopped + pinch more after roasting)
1 pinch chili powder (or cayenne, to taste)
1 pinch salt (to taste)
1 pinch black pepper (to taste)
1 cup almonds (I used smoked but raw, roasted, salted, plain, smoked; use what you have and prefer)

Rosemary Chipotle Roasted Almonds (Vegan; Gluten, Soy, & Dairy Free) Recipe | Yummly

Successfully losing weight and getting into great shape makes working out become addictive. I started working out and running when I quit smoking. Instead of gaining weight after I quit smoking, I lost 17 lbs. within three months. Now if I could just lose those last two inches in my gut, lol. I have an issue with eating; I enjoy it too much. I consume 3000 to 4000 calories per day, but because of my active lifestyle and high metabolism, my weight is holding steady right around 140 lbs. I was down to 137 at my peak which was Thanksgiving. By mid January I was back up to 145, but I was sick for a couple of weeks and unable to work out. It took me about a month to get back down to 138.

As for eating, rather than count calories, I just dumped all the wasted calories. I quit drinking soda and stopped putting flavored creamer in my coffee. I started drinking more water and now I drink my coffee black. As for food, I eat until I am full, not stuffed, and I eat whenever I feel like it. I generally eat four meals per day with a lot of snacks late at night. Breakfast at 10, lunch at 1, dinner at 4, second dinner at 8 or 9, late night snacks before bed. During warm weather months, I run five days per week, about 25 miles per week, and lift weights two days per week. I take one day off per week. During winter, I go to the gym and run on the treadmill or use the ARC trainer. If you go to the gym, try it out. It beats the hell out of any elliptical or stair stepper. I can burn 1000 calories per hour on that machine, although I usually only use it for 40 minutes, two 20 minute sessions.

After smoking for 30 years, I finished my last 5K in 22 minutes and finished 4th out of 80 in my age group. Bottom line is if you want motivation, set goals that you can achieve and make sure you achieve them. As you see success, it will drive you to set higher goals. Just don't make your goals too high so that you cannot reach them in a reasonable amount of time.

Successfully losing weight and getting into great shape makes working out become addictive. I started working out and running when I quit smoking. Instead of gaining weight after I quit smoking, I lost 17 lbs. within three months. Now if I could just lose those last two inches in my gut, lol. I have an issue with eating; I enjoy it too much. I consume 3000 to 4000 calories per day, but because of my active lifestyle and high metabolism, my weight is holding steady right around 140 lbs. I was down to 137 at my peak which was Thanksgiving. By mid January I was back up to 145, but I was sick for a couple of weeks and unable to work out. It took me about a month to get back down to 138.

As for eating, rather than count calories, I just dumped all the wasted calories. I quit drinking soda and stopped putting flavored creamer in my coffee. I started drinking more water and now I drink my coffee black. As for food, I eat until I am full, not stuffed, and I eat whenever I feel like it. I generally eat four meals per day with a lot of snacks late at night. Breakfast at 10, lunch at 1, dinner at 4, second dinner at 8 or 9, late night snacks before bed. During warm weather months, I run five days per week, about 25 miles per week, and lift weights two days per week. I take one day off per week. During winter, I go to the gym and run on the treadmill or use the ARC trainer. If you go to the gym, try it out. It beats the hell out of any elliptical or stair stepper. I can burn 1000 calories per hour on that machine, although I usually only use it for 40 minutes, two 20 minute sessions.

After smoking for 30 years, I finished my last 5K in 22 minutes and finished 4th out of 80 in my age group. Bottom line is if you want motivation, set goals that you can achieve and make sure you achieve them. As you see success, it will drive you to set higher goals. Just don't make your goals too high so that you cannot reach them in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm up early today, 4 am E getting some work out of the way before I go to the Y. I see they open at 4 so that may be an option if I don't like going later in the morning.

I'm goal oriented for sure. I've set goals for myself for motivation and to save time. There was a time where I was a single mom doing all the things single moms have to do and work a 40 plus hour a week job and setting goals helped me get everything in.

Nice post. I like seeing how everyone else does this. :)

At least two heavy workouts a week, and when it warms up I'll add sprints back into the mix one day a week. And you're absolutely right about adding food with better nutritional value. I've added more fatty fish, nuts (minus peanuts), berries, clean carbs like sweet potatoes, healthy fats, and began eating liver. I'm considering trying other organ meats as well.

I've been working out for a couple of days now. They're really nice there, showing me how everything works. I've been shopping carefully, trying to keep everything easy so I will stay consistent.

Luck with everything, guys.

Thoughts after 40 years of trying:

(1) The key to exercise is that you have to DO IT. You have to find an activity or a group of activities that you ENJOY. If you think that you will continue doing something that you hate through willpower, you are kidding yourself. It won't last. If you don't look forward to your exercise sessions, then you have to find something else to do.

(2) Fitness has at least three components: (a) strength, (b) flexibility, and (c) cardiovascular fitness. In MY case, I have settled on (a) weight training (body-weight exercises, free weights, and selected machines), (b) whole body stretching routines, and (c) interval training, mainly on a stationary bike but also running intervals occasionally. Distance running and distance bicycling are good, but not sufficient as an exclusive form of exercise.

(3) Exercise involves EXERTION. If you find something that you can do while relaxed (e.g., jogging on level terrain, distance swimming, walking) you are getting minimal benefit. It may burn calories if done for a long period of time, but it does nothing for your strength or flexibility, and not much for your heart & lungs.

(4) As a general proposition, YOU CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT BY EXERCISING. Exercising can help you lose weight if you are dieting because obvioiusly it burns a few calories. It can prevent you from hitting a "plateau" when you are dieting, and it can allow you to overeat without gaining weight (which I do all the time), but if anyone tells you that if you do some new exercise you will lose 40 pounds (without dieting), they are lying. Especially if the person is on television.

Thoughts after 40 years of trying:

(1) The key to exercise is that you have to DO IT. You have to find an activity or a group of activities that you ENJOY. If you think that you will continue doing something that you hate through willpower, you are kidding yourself. It won't last. If you don't look forward to your exercise sessions, then you have to find something else to do.

(2) Fitness has at least three components: (a) strength, (b) flexibility, and (c) cardiovascular fitness. In MY case, I have settled on (a) weight training (body-weight exercises, free weights, and selected machines), (b) whole body stretching routines, and (c) interval training, mainly on a stationary bike but also running intervals occasionally. Distance running and distance bicycling are good, but not sufficient as an exclusive form of exercise.

(3) Exercise involves EXERTION. If you find something that you can do while relaxed (e.g., jogging on level terrain, distance swimming, walking) you are getting minimal benefit. It may burn calories if done for a long period of time, but it does nothing for your strength or flexibility, and not much for your heart & lungs.

(4) As a general proposition, YOU CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT BY EXERCISING. Exercising can help you lose weight if you are dieting because obvioiusly it burns a few calories. It can prevent you from hitting a "plateau" when you are dieting, and it can allow you to overeat without gaining weight (which I do all the time), but if anyone tells you that if you do some new exercise you will lose 40 pounds (without dieting), they are lying. Especially if the person is on television.

Point number 4 is extremely important I think. Exercise is important, but in terms of weight loss it's simply a compliment to diet.

Point number 4 is extremely important I think. Exercise is important, but in terms of weight loss it's simply a compliment to diet.
If your exercise burns calories (which it should) you will lose weight unless you are building muscle (which you should). Muscle is heavier than fat so that's another reason the scale doesn't give the full story.

If your exercise burns calories (which it should) you will lose weight unless you are building muscle (which you should). Muscle is heavier than fat so that's another reason the scale doesn't give the full story.

Exercise burns calories in about the same ratio as it causes hunger to replace those calories. That's greatly simplified and generalized, of course, but without dietary modifications a person who tries to rely on only exercise for weight loss is likely to fail as they'll find that they crave sugar to replace that which they burned.

Exercise burns calories in about the same ratio as it causes hunger to replace those calories. That's greatly simplified and generalized, of course, but without dietary modifications a person who tries to rely on only exercise for weight loss is likely to fail as they'll find that they crave sugar to replace that which they burned.

As an addition to this post, however, adding exercise will lead to more weight loss than dietary modifications alone. That's why I said in terms of weight loss it is a compliment to diet. If you're only going to do one or the other, however, modifying your diet will have a much greater impact on weight loss by itself than exercise by itself would. In most cases.

That would be considered eating more, not eating the same. Yes, it would take discipline but so does exercise. If you burn more calories than you take in you lose weight, physics is physics.
As an addition to this post, however, adding exercise will lead to more weight loss than dietary modifications alone. That's why I said in terms of weight loss it is a compliment to diet. If you're only going to do one or the other, however, modifying your diet will have a much greater impact on weight loss by itself than exercise by itself would. In most cases.
Well sure. Just look at the prisoners in concentration camps. Obvious both is what you need to be healthy, no question.

That would be considered eating more, not eating the same. Yes, it would take discipline but so does exercise. If you burn more calories than you take in you lose weight, physics is physics.
Well sure. Just look at the prisoners in concentration camps. Obvious both is what you need to be healthy, no question.

Yes, and that's why so many people fail to lose weight on exercise alone. Forcing themselves to essentially starve, not literally starve but I hope you catch my meaning, is a recipe for failure.

This is a thread for those who are trying to exercise and/or lose weight but cannot get motivated. We can use this thread to post what diet/exercise activities people are engaged in to help us keep fit and to support each other in our diet/exercise routine.

"...some of us who are really interested in making changes can post articles and ideas...and make support friends to PM privately when we need to have extra encouragement." (drifter)

I guess I'll start off the thread by posting this article which maybe helpful to some.

Get off your butt: 16 ways to get motivated when you're in a slump

Look at yourself naked in a large mirror every night for 3 minutes.

Count calories and fat calories and carbs. No more than 1500 calories a day for women and 2000 for men. Go light on fat, carbs, and gluten. You will start dropping weight right away and then start brisk walking every morning beginning with 5 minutes and working your way longer. Up to 20 minutes a day or 30 minutes every other day.

Weigh yourself naked every morning, after relieving yourself and before ingesting anything at all. Make sure the bathroom scales is in exactly the same place everyday, and the line marking the zero is in the center. ( this has always worked for me and some weight-loss experts agree and others don't. )

Every time you have a negative thought about something, look for the positive one. There is a positive and negative side to everything.

“There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.” – W. Clement Stone

Good luck and get going. :D
Count calories, stay away from bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, and corn, limit alcohol consumption, eat lots of fruits and vegetable, and maintain a vigorous exercise schedule. Here is a test by Northwestern Mutual Life that proves my point.

It's interesting that there are only 13 questions
Yet, they can predict how long you're likely to
live.

Lifespan Calculator – Test Your Life Expectancy || NM

I think it really depends upon the individual. In my case, I started working out when I quit smoking. Due to my new exercise regimen and quitting smoking, I began eating significantly more, yet I still lost weight. The thing is that my exercise routine was quite aggressive and I really did increase my metabolism.

This is a thread for those who are trying to exercise and/or lose weight but cannot get motivated. We can use this thread to post what diet/exercise activities people are engaged in to help us keep fit and to support each other in our diet/exercise routine.

"...some of us who are really interested in making changes can post articles and ideas...and make support friends to PM privately when we need to have extra encouragement." (drifter)

I guess I'll start off the thread by posting this article which maybe helpful to some.

Get off your butt: 16 ways to get motivated when you're in a slump

Count calories and fat calories and carbs. No more than 1500 calories a day for women and 2000 for men. Go light on fat, carbs, and gluten. You will start dropping weight right away and then start brisk walking every morning beginning with 5 minutes and working your way longer. Up to 20 minutes a day or 30 minutes every other day.

Weigh yourself naked every morning, after relieving yourself and before ingesting anything at all. Make sure the bathroom scales is in exactly the same place everyday, and the line marking the zero is in the center. ( this has always worked for me and some weight-loss experts agree and others don't. )

Every time you have a negative thought about something, look for the positive one. There is a positive and negative side to everything.

“There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.” – W. Clement Stone

Count calories, stay away from bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, and corn, limit alcohol consumption, eat lots of fruits and vegetable, and maintain a vigorous exercise schedule. Here is a test by Northwestern Mutual Life that proves my point.

live.

Calculator said I will live to 120.

Okay, j/k. It said 93.

live.

Calculator said I will live to 120.

Okay, j/k. It said 93.

Mine's 89 right now. The questions are pretty generalized so I don't know if I really trust it to be anywhere near accurate but I would love it to be. :)

Working early again today so I can go workout. It was crowded yesterday but after, I drove around a little and I see the bike path we have in the city goes right by the back of the Y. This bike path is around six miles and runs through all kinds of nice places. One is a great metropark here. There's a good parking area there where you can hop on the path.

You can check your city for things like that, it's absolutely free and safer than riding on the streets.

Last edited:

I think it really depends upon the individual. In my case, I started working out when I quit smoking. Due to my new exercise regimen and quitting smoking, I began eating significantly more, yet I still lost weight. The thing is that my exercise routine was quite aggressive and I really did increase my metabolism.

Most people don't do aggressive, and if they do they don't do it for long. One hard workout for somebody who doesn't work out and that's enough to demotivate them for a long time.

Forum List

Back