Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

Yes.....people are grateful to work anywhere

Walmart takes advantage of that. They offer barebones wages and cut hours so they are not required to pay benefits

Who makes up for it? The taxpayer
Who reaps the profit? Walmart
Maybe the answer for you is working at a Vegan Restaurant washing dishes and working your way up the ladder. :) We are each looking for different things RW. Crippling small business effects everyone they touch or service. What is your position on unpaid Internships and those that take advantage of it? I bet a part time job at Wall-mart doesn't look so bad in comparison, at least in relation to having pocket change.

Do the taxpayers have to subsidize the workforce in that vegan restaurant so that they can make more profit?

I'd bet Wall-mart is a few steps up. :)

Maybe the answer for you is working at a Vegan Restaurant washing dishes and working your way up the ladder. :) We are each looking for different things RW. Crippling small business effects everyone they touch or service. What is your position on unpaid Internships and those that take advantage of it? I bet a part time job at Wall-mart doesn't look so bad in comparison, at least in relation to having pocket change.

Do the taxpayers have to subsidize the workforce in that vegan restaurant so that they can make more profit?

Why not just ask the taxpayer to pay their whole wage so that WalMart can make more money?

Actually. there WAS a time when the min wage was a living wage. Around 1968, would be about $11/hr today. Just before Nixon, Reagan and the Bushes ruined the American Dream, which actually worked 1950-1980...

Guess what douchebag dupes, might be coming back under Obama....

Walmart also hires 2.1 million people in the USA alone, so chances are it probably hires more people in Wisconsin than any other entity. You have to put these things in perspective. Also if Walmart paid its people substantially more, it would cut significantly into the $7 billion it pays in taxes to the federal government - additional to the state governments in which it operates - and there would be less money to fund those public health organizations. And that isn't even assuming those who would be laid off, or have their hours cut, or would never be hired plus the higher prices that the poor would pay along with everybody else for the products Walmart offers.

There is always more than one side to these things.

Nobody is forced to work for Walmart. But a whole bunch of folks who do are grateful to be offered a job.

Walmart takes advantage of that. They offer barebones wages and cut hours so they are not required to pay benefits

Why don't they quit?
From what I've seen, Walmart takes quite a few people who are unemployable and turns them into good business people. Some of them who started out stacking boxes become executives in the company. It's a win-win situation for someone who dropped out of school and were rehabilitated by Walmart.

Last edited:

Why not just ask the taxpayer to pay their whole wage so that WalMart can make more money?
Walmart shoppers have a limited number of dollars in their budget for household goods and clothing or hobbies. Customers pay the salaries and profits of Walmart associates with their dollar as a yes vote on any given product. They've been wise in the world and brought wealth into the nation through taxes, wise purchases, and wiser sales-with-returns-guaranteed recourse.

Not everyone who shops there to stretch their personal money is a taxpayer. ;)

Actually. there WAS a time when the min wage was a living wage. Around 1968, would be about $11/hr today. Just before Nixon, Reagan and the Bushes ruined the American Dream, which actually worked 1950-1980...

Exactly what sense does it make to compare 1968's minimum wage to today's purchasing power? 1968 wages has $11 of buying power today, but $11 of buying power only has $11 of buying power today. It still doesn't buy much.

Unless you have a basis point to chain your inflation to, comparing two different points in history doesn't tell you much.

Why don't they quit?
From what I've seen, Walmart takes quite a few people who are unemployable and turns them into good business people. Some of them who started out stacking boxes become executives in the company. It's a win-win situation for someone who dropped out of school and were rehabilitated by Walmart.

This has some bit of truth in it. Mike Duke is the CEO of Walmart, and he started out working for Walmart as an hourly worker.

Last edited:
What happens when employers build Widgets and don't pay a wage their employees can support their families on?

The taxpayer steps in and subsidizes food, housing and healthcare for that family. Employer gets to profit off of cheap widgets.....taxpayers make up the difference

Prettymuch this. $7.25 isn't enough.

Exactly what sense does it make to compare 1968's minimum wage to today's purchasing power? 1968 wages has $11 of buying power today, but $11 of buying power only has $11 of buying power today. It still doesn't buy much.

Unless you have a basis point to chain your inflation to, comparing two different points in history doesn't tell you much.

It tells you how much 1968's min wage $1.50 would be worth today $11.

What happens when employers build Widgets and don't pay a wage their employees can support their families on?

The taxpayer steps in and subsidizes food, housing and healthcare for that family. Employer gets to profit off of cheap widgets.....taxpayers make up the difference

Right. The welfare state is now, and has always been, a contrivance for the rich. A way to maintain an underclass of compliant workers and soldiers. If you're suggesting we get rid of it, I'm right there with you.

Last edited:
So if Walmart paid their employees more money it would go from being Walmart prices to being Barney's 5th ave prices?

You know how dumb that sounds? The free market wouldnt have that and would just shop elsewhere, which is the incentive for Walmart to keep their prices low

Which they do in part by keeping labor costs low.

Right. The welfare state is now, and has always been, a contrivance for the rich. A way to maintain an underclass of compliant workers and soldiers. If you're suggesting we get rid of it, I'm right there with you.

WTH? That's a new development as voodoo tax rates and an ever shitier min wage slowly ruin the nonrich.

More like the Pub refusal of a good work/ss ID card so we have compliant, cheap illegal labor, and a low min wage for that matter, and a crappe GOP safety net. Hypocrite GOP, distracting the dupes with BS about a useless fence and unconstitutional harassment laws...

Last edited:

WTH? More like the Pub refusal of a good work/ss ID card so we have compliant, cheap illegal labor, and a low min wage for that matter, and a crappe GOP safety net. Hypocrite GOP, distracting the dupes with BS about a useless fence and unconstitutional harassment laws...

Uh... I tried to read that. I failed.

Ahh, but you're supposed to make something of yourself, go to school, not whine and bitch because the minimum wage job you're supposedly stuck in doesn't pay you enough money. Maybe if we had a competent in the White House who encouraged initiative and self empowerment instead of apathy and self depreciation, perhaps we could have good paying jobs waiting on our college grads.

Who am I kidding? They go from a degree with confidence to a degree of hopelessness. Does it ever occur to you piddly fingered liberals that you are hampering the success of millions of kids out there? I see the Liberal gimme mentality this way:

"It's not a matter of how much I succeed, its a matter of how much others fail."

-Napoleon I of France, adapted from Hannibal

Maybe if the Federal Reserve oligarchy stopped inflating the US dollar, the market could sort the whole problem out itself.

Funny that we never needed a minimum wage until after the creation of Federal Reserve...

In the United States, statutory minimum wages were first introduced nationally in 1938;[3][4] some states enacted them as protective laws starting in 1912 until they were ruled illegal but they applied only to women and children.[5] For example, Massachusetts was the first and its laws "had the power only to investigate conditions and recommend changes".[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_minimum_wage

Last edited:

Ahh, but you're supposed to make something of yourself, go to school, not whine and bitch because the minimum wage job you're supposedly stuck in doesn't pay you enough money. Maybe if we had a competent in the White House who encouraged initiative and self empowerment instead of apathy and self depreciation, perhaps we could have good paying jobs waiting on our college grads.

Who am I kidding? They go from a degree with confidence to a degree of hopelessness. Does it ever occur to you piddly fingered liberals that you are hampering the success of millions of kids out there? I see the Liberal gimme mentality this way:

"It's not a matter of how much I succeed, its a matter of how much others fail."

building widgets typically pays good wages
even full time at wall mart has room to grow
the minimum wage as I have stated is an entry level wage that in most jobs has room to grow
out fast food chains I am un clear on there career path
I make 6 figures a year and have had 1 class beyond High school.

the reality of this is that minimum wage should be set for those in an entry level event. you work hard, you will be fine in time

Most getting "help" from the tax payer is not the corporations, it is those who refuse to work

infact what company that pays low wages in being helped by the federal govt?

congress during most of those years was run by the dems, dupe
ther has been close to 40 million jobs created sense RR trickle down and GWB tax rate(s) did more for the poor and middle class than any-one

And one of the greatest fallacies of modern American liberalism is the concept that the poor will have more if the rich have less.

Forum List

Back