Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

Why don't they quit?
From what I've seen, Walmart takes quite a few people who are unemployable and turns them into good business people. Some of them who started out stacking boxes become executives in the company. It's a win-win situation for someone who dropped out of school and were rehabilitated by Walmart.

This has some bit of true in it. Mike Duke is the CEO of Walmart, and he started out working for Walmart as an hourly worker.

100% my point
career paths exist in most all companies
starting @ 8.00 with benifits @ 18 years old will be 13-15 by 25

Actually. there WAS a time when the min wage was a living wage. Around 1968, would be about $11/hr today. Just before Nixon, Reagan and the Bushes ruined the American Dream, which actually worked 1950-1980...

Guess what douchebag dupes, might be coming back under Obama....

Exactly what sense does it make to compare 1968's minimum wage to today's purchasing power? 1968 wages has $11 of buying power today, but $11 of buying power only has $11 of buying power today. It still doesn't buy much.

Unless you have a basis point to chain your inflation to, comparing two different points in history doesn't tell you much.

It tells you how much 1968's min wage $1.50 would be worth today $11.

And?

Prettymuch this. $7.25 isn't enough.

Ahh, but you're supposed to make something of yourself, go to school, not whine and bitch because the minimum wage job you're supposedly stuck in doesn't pay you enough money. Maybe if we had a competent in the White House who encouraged initiative and self empowerment instead of apathy and self depreciation, perhaps we could have good paying jobs waiting on our college grads.

Who am I kidding? They go from a degree with confidence to a degree of hopelessness. Does it ever occur to you piddly fingered liberals that you are hampering the success of millions of kids out there? I see the Liberal gimme mentality this way:

"It's not a matter of how much I succeed, its a matter of how much others fail."

-Napoleon I of France, adapted from Hannibal

And one of the greatest fallacies of modern American liberalism is the concept that the poor will have more if the rich have less.

Exactly... they see things as finite, i.e., there is only so much money and the rich have it all. They completely ignore the reasons why people are poor.

Guaranteed.. if you give most poor people a bundle of money, in a very short period of time they will be poor again.

Ahh, but you're supposed to make something of yourself, go to school, not whine and bitch because the minimum wage job you're supposedly stuck in doesn't pay you enough money. Maybe if we had a competent in the White House who encouraged initiative and self empowerment instead of apathy and self depreciation, perhaps we could have good paying jobs waiting on our college grads.

Who am I kidding? They go from a degree with confidence to a degree of hopelessness. Does it ever occur to you piddly fingered liberals that you are hampering the success of millions of kids out there? I see the Liberal gimme mentality this way:

"It's not a matter of how much I succeed, its a matter of how much others fail."

And one of the greatest fallacies of modern American liberalism is the concept that the poor will have more if the rich have less.

Exactly... they see things as finite, i.e., there is only so much money and the rich have it all. They completely ignore the reasons why people are poor.

Guaranteed.. if you give most poor people a bundle of money, in a very short period of time they will be poor again.

Making a marriage work
Live within your means
find a career path and stick to it
Minimum wage is a place to start. with your abilities no matter what path you take as well as a partner for life who is there to help matters

Making a marriage work
Live within your means
find a career path and stick to it
Minimum wage is a place to start. with your abilities no matter what path you take as well as a partner for life who is there to help matters

Like I said the other day, JRK, you work your way to the top, you don't demand it.

Prettymuch this. $7.25 isn't enough.

building widgets typically pays good wages
even full time at wall mart has room to grow
the minimum wage as I have stated is an entry level wage that in most jobs has room to grow
out fast food chains I am un clear on there career path
I make 6 figures a year and have had 1 class beyond High school.
the reality of this is that minimum wage should be set for those in an entry level event. you work hard, you will be fine in time

Most getting "help" from the tax payer is not the corporations, it is those who refuse to work

infact what company that pays low wages in being helped by the federal govt?

Dude, you don't count the numbers on the RIGHT side of the decmil point.
But lets say you do make 100k a year. Divided by 52 weeks. Divided by 40 hours. YOU make $48.08 an hour. And in a further post, you tout how someone starting out at 8 bucks an hour, after hard word and several years, they could make 13-15 dollars an hour. WOW eh?

So who in the fuk decided to pay you 48 dollars an hour. And why? It sure wasn't your writing skills. Or even your common sense.

So how'd you convince some company to pay a person not to literate (you), with 1 class of education beyond HS, 100k a year? That is 48 dollars an hour for us hourly wage slaves.

Inquiring minds and a lot of college grads want to know.

the minimum wage as I have stated is an entry level wage that in most jobs has room to grow
the reality of this is that minimum wage should be set for those in an entry level event. you work hard, you will be fine in time

Most getting "help" from the tax payer is not the corporations, it is those who refuse to work

But lets say you do make 100k a year. Divided by 52 weeks. Divided by 40 hours. YOU make $48.08 an hour. And in a further post, you tout how someone starting out at 8 bucks an hour, after hard word and several years, they could make 13-15 dollars an hour. WOW eh?

So who in the fuk decided to pay you 48 dollars an hour. And why? It sure wasn't your writing skills. Or even your common sense.

So how'd you convince some company to pay a person not to literate (you), with 1 class of education beyond HS, 100k a year? That is 48 dollars an hour for us hourly wage slaves.

you know nothing about me and yet you judge me?
you liberals have a serious issue with calling people liars you know nothing about

what I make, how many hours I work has nothing to do with commitment, training, and a can-do attitude that will take you far in this world
BTW I make 39.00 an hour. I work an avg of 50 hours a week
that is 109,000 a year
make it happen, go to where the work is.
Train
It is out there.
You jst got to want it

I have 21 year old son who work an average an avg of 60 hours a week in the Oil and gas industry
he makes 15 an hour
That equates to 55,000 a year plus expenses
you wonder why there paying people in N.D 15 an hour to work @ Burger King?
it is out there
my spelling?

About $15 / hour.

That should be the minimum wage starting yesterday.

If that means that prices go up, or incomes of the higher paid employees of a business must go down , to fund this, I'm okay with that.

The Liberal has no understanding of the problems the current admin, is causing us. the oil and gas sector is creating 100s of thousands of jobs
BTW I do not work in that sector, heavy industrial
Point being hte harm BHO done to the coal industry as well as not allowing the oil and gas sector to expand has cost us 100,s of thousands in jobs

you know nothing about me and yet you judge me?
you liberals have a serious issue with calling people liars you know nothing about

what I make, how many hours I work has nothing to do with commitment, training, and a can-do attitude that will take you far in this world
BTW I make 39.00 an hour. I work an avg of 50 hours a weekthat is 109,000 a year
make it happen, go to where the work is.
Train
It is out there.
You jst got to want it

I have 21 year old son who work an average an avg of 60 hours a week in the Oil and gas industry
he makes 15 an hour
That equates to 55,000 a year plus expenses
you wonder why there paying people in N.D 15 an hour to work @ Burger King?
it is out there
my spelling?

You have one of those hated by the right wing union jobs. Don't ya? Cause their is no non union jobs paying uneducated people 39 dollars an hour. Without a union.

btw, can YOU live on 15 an hour? Even if you do work 60 hours a week. What fun that is right?

Can you at least share the industry that is paying you so well. With a HS education.

About $15 / hour.

That should be the minimum wage starting yesterday.

If that means that prices go up, or incomes of the higher paid employees of a business must go down , to fund this, I'm okay with that.

I have no issue with it either except the goods from overseas would double
there would be a need to address that

The Liberal has no understanding of the problems the current admin, is causing us. the oil and gas sector is creating 100s of thousands of jobs
Point being hte harm BHO done to the coal industry as well as not allowing the oil and gas sector to expand has cost us 100,s of thousands in jobs

Oh bullshit. Post up a credible link showing there are hundreds of thousands of jobs being created by the oil and gas industry. I mean, your son works in that industry.

And is the industry creating that many jobs (as you said) or is it that you THINK they could create that many. See the difference?

Is the area you live in short on energy? No gas? No electricity? What? Where do you think there is an energy shortgage in this country?

Oh bullshit. Post up a credible link showing there are hundreds of thousands of jobs being created by the oil and gas industry. I mean, your son works in that industry.

And is the industry creating that many jobs (as you said) or is it that you THINK they could create that many. See the difference?

Is the area you live in short on energy? No gas? No electricity? What? Where do you think there is an energy shortgage in this country?

Oil, gas industry created 9 percent of new U.S. jobs in 2011:WEF | Reuters
Reuters) - A booming U.S. oil and gas sector was responsible for generating some 9 percent of all new jobs last year, with three indirect jobs for every one directly involved in the industry, a study released on Wednesday found.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/...as-industry-created-17-million-jobs-this-year
The U.S. oil and natural-gas rush is hacking away at unemployment, manufacturing a total of 1.7 million jobs this year, according to a study released Tuesday by economic forecaster IHS Global Insight. That number will spike to 2.5 million by 2015, and to almost 3.5 million by 2035, creating “high-quality and high-paying” work at wages on average of about $35 an hour — “dramatically higher” than the average

Last edited:

If you judge via syntax, spelling, or grammar skills, I wouldn't be judging another person's literacy if I were you.

I have one nephew who has had no education beyond highschool who is now a millionaire. I have a niece with only a little college who is a high ranking professional in the medical business. Neither my husband nor I have college degrees in fields requiring specialized degrees but we have been hired just the same because of our experience, expertise, and track record. Admittedly our children, who did acquire advanced degrees, have done better than us all, but that is because they also mastered their trades whle acquiring those degrees.

Somebody else already touched on this, but the recipe for prosperity is:

1. Get rid of any kind of notion that anybody owes you any form of livelihood or success. Mentally impress upon yourself that success is earned, never distributed. It is not your employer's job to support you.

2. Stay away from illegal substances and illegal actiivities and don't have kids before marriage and educate yourself.

3. Be willing to accept any honorable work at any wage to acquire a work ethic, acquire marketable skills, acquire references. If necessary, work two or more jobs while you increase the value of your work. The person with a job and looking to improve himself is more attractive to employers than those who are out of work.

4. Understand that your wages are worth no more than the profit you earn for your employer and make yourself as valuable to your employer as you have the intelligence and skills to do. Your labor is worth only as much as it helps the employer to prosper.

No one who does this will rarely need to work for minimum wage for long. Too often an unskilled, untrained, unproven workers isn't worth even minimum wage to his employer. But once he proves his value as being above and beyond the less motivated workers, the employer will usually pay him whatever he has to pay to keep him. But the employer will rarely ever pay anybody more wages than profits generated for the employer.

Minimum wage was never intended to support a family. It was intended to be a fair wage for menial work while people learned a trade, acquired a work ethic, and generated references so that they would be able to support themselves and a family.

Last edited:

Bwahahahahahahaha! Guess college doesnt teach you work ethics.. my dad never went to college, he retired a few years ago making a $125 grand a year. I never went to college (execpt a 3 year night time trade school that my boss paid for, I never used my mold making journey man, trade though) , According to that S.S. crap I used to get I hit $75 grand a few times over the years with O.T. And note Him or I were never in a stinking union. I started out at $3.35 and worked my way up and busted my ass for respect and contacts.

$1000 in 1970 had the same buying power as $5,440 today. The minimum wage in 1970 was $1.60. So today's $7.25 per hour is only somewhat less in buying power than that $1.60 in 1970. There are other factors, however, in that mandatory employer contributions for combined FICA, medicare, SUTA, FUTA, and healthcare along with work comp, general liability, and other costs of doing business have also substantially increased and this cuts into money available to be paid as salary and wages.

Currently the economy generally sucks and employers are hiring only as many employees as they absolutely have to have to get by. Few are expanding or looking to increase operations, most especially with the huge extra expense of Obamacare hanging over their heads.

If we want employers to put people to work and give them a chance to prove themselves and prosper, raising the minimum wage is not the way to accomplish that.

Bwahahahahahahaha! Guess college doesnt teach you work ethics.. my dad never went to college, he retired a few years ago making a $125 grand a year. I never went to college (execpt a 3 year night time trade school that my boss paid for, I never used my mold making journey man, trade though) , According to that S.S. crap I used to get I hit $75 grand a few times over the years with O.T. And note Him or I were never in a stinking union. I started out at $3.35 and worked my way up and busted my ass for respect and contacts.

good for you
trade unions are okay (the ones I managed), the rest are staeling

If you judge via syntax, spelling, or grammar skills, I wouldn't be judging another person's literacy if I were you.

I have one nephew who has had no education beyond highschool who is now a millionaire. I have a niece with only a little college who is a high ranking professional in the medical business. Neither my husband nor I have college degrees in fields requiring specialized degrees but we have been hired just the same because of our experience, expertise, and track record. Admittedly our children, who did acquire advanced degrees, have done better than us all, but that is because they also mastered their trades whle acquiring those degrees.

Somebody else already touched on this, but the recipe for prosperity is:

1. Get rid of any kind of notion that anybody owes you any form of livelihood or success. Mentally impress upon yourself that success is earned, never distributed. It is not your employer's job to support you.

2. Stay away from illegal substances and illegal actiivities and don't have kids before marriage and educate yourself.

3. Be willing to accept any honorable work at any wage to acquire a work ethic, acquire marketable skills, acquire references. If necessary, work two or more jobs while you increase the value of your work. The person with a job and looking to improve himself is more attractive to employers than those who are out of work.

4. Understand that your wages are worth no more than the profit you earn for your employer and make yourself as valuable to your employer as you have the intelligence and skills to do. Your labor is worth only as much as it helps the employer to prosper.

No one who does this will rarely need to work for minimum wage for long. Too often an unskilled, untrained, unproven workers isn't worth even minimum wage to his employer. But once he proves his value as being above and beyond the less motivated workers, the employer will usually pay him whatever he has to pay to keep him. But the employer will rarely ever pay anybody more wages than profits generated for the employer.

Minimum wage was never intended to support a family. It was intended to be a fair wage for menial work while people learned a trade, acquired a work ethic, and generated references so that they would be able to support themselves and a family.

Very good
My spelling gets bad from time to time, simply because I do not copy and paste from word when I am in a hurry.
Libs freak about nothing and ignore what really matters
it is not easy, but if you want it making 100k a year is out there
the point you made about making profit for the corporation you work for is spot on. I am in hi demand because I get the job done while at the same time treat people fair. skills such as these are not taught at any school
havin a can do attitude, good work ethic while keeping up with the change in your industry is the key
Being a certified "rigger" sounds like a joke, but as an example there are many trades that
becoming NCCER certified means work, ot certified means no work
that takes more skill than teaching a 5th grade class how to sing praise the king Obama

Reuters) - A booming U.S. oil and gas sector was responsible for generating some 9 percent of all new jobs last year, with three indirect jobs for every one directly involved in the industry, a study released on Wednesday found.

Unconventional Oil and Gas Industry Created 1.7 Million Jobs This Year
The U.S. oil and natural-gas rush is hacking away at unemployment, manufacturing a total of 1.7 million jobs this year, according to a study released Tuesday by economic forecaster IHS Global Insight. That number will spike to 2.5 million by 2015, and to almost 3.5 million by 2035, creating “high-quality and high-paying” work at wages on average of about $35 an hour — “dramatically higher” than the average

Interesting sources you chose. One source (Reuters) claimed in the article you linked to, that 37000 direct jobs were created in the oil and gas industry. And that 114000 indirect jobs were created. No where near hundreds of thousands or even the millions that the other source (you know, the right wing rag you selected) claimed were being created by the oil and gas industry.

Did you know that the guy in the gas station making minimum wage is included in the job creation numbers. Temp workers are counted. job placement agencies on line, there are jobs available in the oil and gas industry. For engineers and other high tech. But nowhere near the number of jobs you all claimed.

And to those that got in an industry where they made 100k plus. Where are those jobs?
What field? How much education.

I lived in s GM town for years. Knew many GM factory workers making 100k. Thank God for the unions eh? The city I lived in also was a machining capital. Tool and die makers, top level machinists, mold makers, they all made a real good living. Where did all those jobs go?

Just because large numbers of people were able to make real good incomes before we quit manufacturing things, does not mean that large numbers of people today can make that much.

In other words, your past performance does not guarantee someone elses future results.

And if any of you really made 100k with a high school education, please thank a union member. Either you work for a union shop or the company you work for is paying union scale to keep a union out. Either way, no company pays39 dollars an hour to high school educated people with out some extra incentive.

Unconventional Oil and Gas Industry Created 1.7 Million Jobs This Year

Interesting sources you chose. One source (Reuters) claimed in the article you linked to, that 37000 direct jobs were created in the oil and gas industry. And that 114000 indirect jobs were created. No where near hundreds of thousands or even the millions that the other source (you know, the right wing rag you selected) claimed were being created by the oil and gas industry.

Did you know that the guy in the gas station making minimum wage is included in the job creation numbers. Temp workers are counted. job placement agencies on line, there are jobs available in the oil and gas industry. For engineers and other high tech. But nowhere near the number of jobs you all claimed.

And to those that got in an industry where they made 100k plus. Where are those jobs?
What field? How much education.

I lived in s GM town for years. Knew many GM factory workers making 100k. Thank God for the unions eh? The city I lived in also was a machining capital. Tool and die makers, top level machinists, mold makers, they all made a real good living. Where did all those jobs go?

Just because large numbers of people were able to make real good incomes before we quit manufacturing things, does not mean that large numbers of people today can make that much.

In other words, your past performance does not guarantee someone elses future results.

And if any of you really made 100k with a high school education, please thank a union member. Either you work for a union shop or the company you work for is paying union scale to keep a union out. Either way, no company pays39 dollars an hour to high school educated people with out some extra incentive.

Forum List

Back