Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

I wonder if the nutters here would do me a favor and list their top five choices for a place to live and raise a family. Anywhere in the world?

I'd also like to know why they think that a person making who makes $8 per hour today and is willing to pay $2.00 for a hamburger will, if his pay is raised to $20 per hour, be willing to pay $4.00 for the same hamburger tomorrow? Will the the increased labor cost that the restaurant faces necessarily double the price of the burger? Hmmmmm?

Oh absolutely, increased labor costs have absolutely no effect on prices.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What happens when employers build Widgets and don't pay a wage their employees can support their families on?

The taxpayer steps in and subsidizes food, housing and healthcare for that family. Employer gets to profit off of cheap widgets.....taxpayers make up the difference

So the employees have no option to get another job? Learn another skill?

If the market will only buy widgets at $5 do you really think all those people will still have a job when demand drops because widgets are now $20?

Why is it that you libbies have so little faith in people that you believe they can never improve their lot in life?

That market is being subsidized by the taxpayers. You can build and sell your product at a profit while you expect the taxpayer to pay for your workforce

That is the REAL welfare

The widget market?

really?

If everyone was forced to pay a $15 per hour minimum wage then the price of everything would rise and the people who are at the new minimum wage would be no better off than they are now.

Besides entry level jobs that pay minimum wage are supposed to be the first step on the ladder not a bed to lie in your entire life.

I wonder if the nutters here would do me a favor and list their top five choices for a place to live and raise a family. Anywhere in the world?

I'd also like to know why they think that a person making who makes $8 per hour today and is willing to pay $2.00 for a hamburger will, if his pay is raised to $20 per hour, be willing to pay $4.00 for the same hamburger tomorrow? Will the the increased labor cost that the restaurant faces necessarily double the price of the burger? Hmmmmm?

How about the person making $8/hour work two jobs. Then they can afford the $2 burger instead of buying the meat and making one themselves.

Any increase in the minimum wage does two things in the restaurant industry. Lay offs and increased pricing...

How about the person making $8/hour work two jobs. Then they can afford the $2 burger instead of buying the meat and making one themselves.

Any increase in the minimum wage does two things in the restaurant industry. Lay offs and increased pricing...

I know it is too much to ask of you.....it's OK.

the equivalent of the min wage in 1968, $10.50.

I started working in 1971 for $2.10 an hour. Working minimum wage jobs over the summers I was able to pay for four years of college. You could buy a new car for what you made on minimum wage. You could afford the rent on an apartment for what you made on a minimum wage job.

Kids now working minimum wage jobs can't afford to leave their parents house

I started to work for minimum wage well before 1971 and it NEVER was able to provide more than the barest necessities for me unless I worked two or three jobs which I often did. I put myself through college by working at whatever I could get whenever I could get it--at times 60 cents an hour--and as neither my husband or I were blessed with wealthy parents, we had almost nothing given to us over the years. And yes we worked at lots of minimum wage jobs starting out but it took a lot of hours and improvision to make ends meet and we went into debt until we could get our income up to a wage that would accommodate not only the necessities but a few simple luxuries and a savings account. None of that hurt us in the least.

Last edited:

The mainstream of the industry has a tight bottom line and is far more fragile than some may think.

If someone is working a full time minimum wage job, they probably don't have a college degree.

So, at the very least, it would be reasonable to pay them enough that they could afford to work and go to college at the same time. We have grants that are available to help out with this, but unfortunately, there has been talk of ending them.

If that happens, we're going to have a lot more people on welfare than before.

Are we talking an 18 year old senior in high school or a 30 year old man with a wife and kid? In an earlier post I talked about the choices we make in life. No 30 year old man with a family should be working a minimum wage job. A guy who lost his job and is doing it temporarily to have some cash flow until he finds a job that pays more for his skill set is one thing. If he has been working minimum wages jobs since he was a kid, he has made some really poor choices along the road of life. That is what I don't get when everyone keeps talking about minimum wage jobs should be a living wage. No, they shouldn't. Minimum wage jobs are entry level jobs to get your feet wet in the workplace, get some experience and move up. It isn't a stopping point.

A certain amount of accountability is vital in every society, but shit happens.

There are 30 year olds working minimum wage jobs. Sometimes people make dumb decisions. They pay for it by working a job like that, but my point is that paying them just a tad more isn't a bad thing.

The comment was made earlier that if a living wage was the same as minimum wage, there would be no motivation to move up, but that's not true for about 95% of the population. Almost no one wants to work that kind of job for the long term, even if they can live off of it.

Of course they do! Once an individual has reached a comfort level they have no inclination to move beyond it. They only move when it's uncomfortable. They are especially resistent to move up if it takes more effort than they wish to put forth.

Basically............

Liberals want the pay of a 40 year old for the behavior of a 20 year old.

Sorry boys. We told you the real world would suck once you get out of your college lecture hall. Well.....we told ya so. Fill out that application and start at the bottom boy.....like we did.

That is the reality of our welfare programs. If taxpayers are footing the bill to support YOUR employees........YOU are making money off of the taxpayer

The taxpayers aren't supporting my employees.

Do any of your employees receive food stamps, low cost housing or subsidized healthcare?

I used to have an employee on Medicaid. Should I have stipulated that I wouldn't hire single moms?

Are we talking an 18 year old senior in high school or a 30 year old man with a wife and kid? In an earlier post I talked about the choices we make in life. No 30 year old man with a family should be working a minimum wage job. A guy who lost his job and is doing it temporarily to have some cash flow until he finds a job that pays more for his skill set is one thing. If he has been working minimum wages jobs since he was a kid, he has made some really poor choices along the road of life. That is what I don't get when everyone keeps talking about minimum wage jobs should be a living wage. No, they shouldn't. Minimum wage jobs are entry level jobs to get your feet wet in the workplace, get some experience and move up. It isn't a stopping point.

A certain amount of accountability is vital in every society, but shit happens.

There are 30 year olds working minimum wage jobs. Sometimes people make dumb decisions. They pay for it by working a job like that, but my point is that paying them just a tad more isn't a bad thing.

The comment was made earlier that if a living wage was the same as minimum wage, there would be no motivation to move up, but that's not true for about 95% of the population. Almost no one wants to work that kind of job for the long term, even if they can live off of it.

Of course they do! Once an individual has reached a comfort level they have no inclination to move beyond it. They only move when it's uncomfortable. They are especially resistent to move up if it takes more effort than they wish to put forth.

I could live off of my current salary for the rest of my life, but I still want to move up in my company.

My comfort level is pretty high, but that doesn't eliminate my ambition.

I rarely bought $2 hamburgers when I was making $25 and hour. Too expensive.

Another intentional miss of the point. Well done.

"Fair share" means one thing: equal income.

They are using the ideal of equal taxation as a disguise for their true goal......equality in income for all jobs, regardless of skill or education necessary for it.

Libs believe that they are entitled to a certain amount of money. They will never consider living within their means, the means should rise up to the level of entitlement. Minimum wage was never supposed to be a living wage. It would be detrimental to have minimum wage one that someone could live on. If that were so, there would be little to no incentive to move beyond minimum wage. Entry level would be quarantined into itself. Workers are expected to move out of minimum wage quickly. Unless they are kids with summer jobs, or elderly looking for pin money, minimum wage jobs are not supposed to last very long, a year perhaps.

I have known and worked for companies that have a minimum wage time limit. As short as 90 days, as long as a year. Either you become qualified to move up, or you are out of a job.

If minimum wage is something that you shouldn't be able to live on, then what are you supposed to do when the only job you have pays minimum wage? Getting a second job isn't exactly something you can quickly acquire in this economy.

You're supposed to do something else. If the only job you have pays minimum wage and you are at the age where you have to provide for yourself, you fucked up somewhere along the line.

Been there done that. It isn't always easy and it isn't always fun but those determined to get ahead in this country will generally be able to find a way to do that. We eventually reached the point that we preferred the luxury of setting our own schedule and not having to share the fruit of our labor with an employer and went into business for ourselves. We made less money, but enjoyed life more. But that isn't for everybody either. Each of us brings our own skill set and ambition to the mix and most of us choose somewhat different roads to get where we want or hope to be.

But all in all, it is still counterproductive to expect the government to take property away from somebody else so that I/you/we can have what we want.

Last edited:

Another intentional miss of the point. Well done.

What was your point?

If it takes 15.00 an hour to have a "living" wage, well I really dont have an issue with that except that really all your doing is raising the cost to build a widget, or grow a widget to a point in which the 8.00 an hour becomes 15.00 an hour it seems to me
What is a living wage?

Minimum wage was, and should be again, a living wage....meaning one person working a 40 hour a week job makes enough money to rent their own apartment, provide their own transportation, pay their medical bills, their utility bills, and buy their clothes.

Today you can't even get an apartment on minimum wage.

In 1968, my brother, on a mw job, got his own apartment, his own car(brand spanking new), and went to college part time in the evenings....can't do that anymore on a mw job.

No you shouldn't. You turn the entire dynamic of an economy on its ear when you start insisting that the goal of a business is in part to provide YOU with a standard of living. That is YOUR job. Not theirs. There actually is a legitimate place in an economy for jobs that pay less than what one can live on. Teens getting their first jobs, supplemental household income, second jobs, etc. People like you who insist that it's someone elses job to provide for your needs absolutely disgust me.

Forum List

Back