Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

How about the person making $8/hour work two jobs. Then they can afford the $2 burger instead of buying the meat and making one themselves.

Any increase in the minimum wage does two things in the restaurant industry. Lay offs and increased pricing...

I rarely bought $2 hamburgers when I was making $25 and hour. Too expensive.

Another intentional miss of the point. Well done.

Intentional? What was your point? Mine is that $2 hamburgers are luxuries.

"Fair share" means one thing: equal income.

They are using the ideal of equal taxation as a disguise for their true goal......equality in income for all jobs, regardless of skill or education necessary for it.

Are you crazy?

The taxation goal is letting the bums be bums and have the ones who work....pay for their lives.

The living wage goal is getting what you WANT out of life over what you need to survive... so to speak.

Ah. So.....how about we tell employers we'll give you a tax break, and in exchange pay your employees more, and thus the gov't wont have to subsidize stuff.

BUT......then morons like you would be bitching about "TAX BREAKS FOR THE RICH' because the widget factory owner earns $250,000 a year.

Business owners cannot make a good profit without good help. The thing I like about a 9-9-9 type program is that the 50-100k a year worker would get the most benefit and it would do the economy so much
Cash on hand from 91-11, were talking about 130-140,000 difference in my bring home. Thats jobs people and may even be a living wage in that kind of cash

Yep. And biz owners can't hire good help if their taxes go up.

Why not?

Your costs of employee wages are not taxed......only profits

"Fair share" means one thing: equal income.

They are using the ideal of equal taxation as a disguise for their true goal......equality in income for all jobs, regardless of skill or education necessary for it.

How does a living wage meaning you earn enough to support yourself somehow morph into everyone gets paid the ame?

Business owners cannot make a good profit without good help. The thing I like about a 9-9-9 type program is that the 50-100k a year worker would get the most benefit and it would do the economy so much
Cash on hand from 91-11, were talking about 130-140,000 difference in my bring home. Thats jobs people and may even be a living wage in that kind of cash

Why not?

Oh yes they are.... FUTA, SUTA, etc. are all based on payroll dollars, not to mention increased taxes lowers your bottom line.

Have you ever been involved in any way in running a business?

Just a thought...

What ever happen to the idea of working two jobs to EARN your "living" wage?

Many do. But is it fair to ask a single mother to work 80 hours a week at the expense of watching her kids? What does that do to the kids?

Take a single mother raising one kid in El Portal, Miami (a neighborhood with about 22% living below the poverty line). According to the living wage calculator, one adult would need to earn $18/hr to care for one kid. Since Miami's minimum wage is only $7.50 an hour, this woman would have to work 2.5 full-time minimum wage jobs (100 hours a week) to care for one kid. This assumes she doesn't have more. She can earn enough to just stay above the poverty line with a minimum wage job, however.

This also assumes she's able to find more than one job.

Just a thought...

Many do. But is it fair to ask a single mother to work 80 hours a week at the expense of watching her kids? What does that do to the kids?

Take a single mother raising one kid in El Portal, Miami (a neighborhood with about 22% living below the poverty line). According to the living wage calculator, one adult would need to earn $18/hr to care for one kid. Since Miami's minimum wage is only $7.50 an hour, this woman would have to work 2.5 full-time minimum wage jobs (100 hours a week) to care for one kid. This assumes she doesn't have more. She can earn enough to just stay above the poverty line with a minimum wage job, however.

Perhaps these people should stop cranking out kids.... just a thought. I waited until I was out of college and married... so I guess it can be done.

Why not?

Well, on the place on the planet where I live, the employer IS required to carry workers compensation that is almost always based on employee wages and liability insurance which in labor intensive businesses is based on employee wages and the employer's half of FICA and state and federal unemployment insurance taxes. A raise in any of those impacts how much money the employer will have to pay existing employees, let alone new ones.

And where do you think the employer gets the money to increase salaries and benefits of existing employees and to expand operations so that he needs to hire additional employees? It is his profits that provide that ability and the more of those that are taxed away, the less the employer has to expand, increase compensation, or hire new people.

What happens when employers build Widgets and don't pay a wage their employees can support their families on?

The taxpayer steps in and subsidizes food, housing and healthcare for that family. Employer gets to profit off of cheap widgets.....taxpayers make up the difference

Both of you are right, and there in lies the problem.

If you do nothing Business will take advantage of Labor. If you go from a 7.50 an hour to a 15.00 an hour Minimum wage. You absolutely will see Inflation of prices that will eat up most if not all of any gain the workers will see in their actual ability to get ahead.

Raising the Minimum wage has unintended consequences that hit the poor very Hard.

First of course is the inflation of Prices Business that rely on Minimum Wage Workers charge. The Very places the Poor rely on, Like their grocery store, Walmart, Fast food, basically the things that are cheap, are usually things made, or provided by companies that Employ Minimum Wage workers. The Cost of all that stuff will go up. If you Double the Minimum Wage they will sky rocket.

Second it makes small Businesses reluctant to hire, and likely even to lay off people. It puts a big Damper on Entry level Job Hiring.

Last edited:
Intentional? What was your point? Mine is that $2 hamburgers are luxuries.

Boring.

Why are you here? All you do is post random, absurd premises then get all pissy when people respond in kind.

I'm sure Huff 'n Puff Post has a blog where you can find like-minded people.

Listen....my post was not meant to open the discussion on the merits of a $2 hamburger. Anyone with a brain and a desire to have meaningful discussion can see that. That two people zoned in on the cost of the fucking burger means only that two people didn't want to address the post. Who the fuck has time for that shit?

Why not?

Less reward for higher risk.

Why not?

That's right.... running and owning a business is ALL about profits. If raising the minimum wage for everyone is the same amount of pay for one employee... then those businesses will be cutting one employee and making the rest take up the slack. Some will benefit from an increase in minimum wage and a good deal will lose their jobs becasue of it.

Why not?

Well, on the place on the planet where I live, the employer IS required to carry workers compensation that is almost always based on employee wages and liability insurance which in labor intensive businesses is based on employee wages and the employer's half of FICA and state and federal unemployment insurance taxes. A raise in any of those impacts how much money the employer will have to pay existing employees, let alone new ones.

And where do you think the employer gets the money to increase salaries and benefits of existing employees and to expand operations so that he needs to hire additional employees? It is his profits that provide that ability and the more of those that are taxed away, the less the employer has to expand, increase compensation, or hire new people.

They must carry Workers comp Insurance.

They must pay 7.5% Fica tax on every employee.

They must pay 10% of what they pay you on the first 9 Grand I think it is, into unemployment Insurance.

I work for a small business, I know the owner very well, and have since before I ever worked for him. For the entire time I have worked with him, we have been 1 bad Month away from closing the doors. He pays 10.00 an hour to most of his employees to start, and can hardly cover it. I guarantee you if he had to pay everyone 5 or 10 dollars an hour more. There would be no company anymore.

Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

It depends on location and family size:

The amount of money families need to be economically
self-sufficient varies drastically depending on family size
and the geographic region of residence. For example,
Table 3 shows that in Philadelphia County the Self-
Sufficiency Standard varies substantially depending on
family type:

A single adult needs to earn $10.13 per hour to be able
to meet his or her basic needs.

• One parent caring for a preschool-aged child needs
$19.82 per hour to be self-sufficient.

• One parent with two children—a preschooler and
schoolage child—needs $25.90 per hour to meet basic
needs.

http://www.pathwayspa.org/10-11_SS_Standard.pdf

Just a thought...

Then don't have kids you cant afford.... that is the simple part of personal responsibility.

Yes it is very fair to ask that of a single mother. Her child, her responsibility. What does fair to the child have anything to do with any of this?

If working 80 hours a week is what it takes for her and her child to make it... then yes...tough...work the 80 hours. I am sure she is not the only single mother out there.... band together and take care of each others kids. That is not such a far out idea ya know.

Forum List

Back