Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

If it takes 15.00 an hour to have a "living" wage, well I really dont have an issue with that except that really all your doing is raising the cost to build a widget, or grow a widget to a point in which the 8.00 an hour becomes 15.00 an hour it seems to me
What is a living wage?

Minimum wage was, and should be again, a living wage....meaning one person working a 40 hour a week job makes enough money to rent their own apartment, provide their own transportation, pay their medical bills, their utility bills, and buy their clothes.

Today you can't even get an apartment on minimum wage.

In 1968, my brother, on a mw job, got his own apartment, his own car(brand spanking new), and went to college part time in the evenings....can't do that anymore on a mw job.

Just a thought...

What ever happen to the idea of working two jobs to EARN your "living" wage?

Millions of Americans are looking for ONE job...

You want them to find two?

If it takes 15.00 an hour to have a "living" wage, well I really dont have an issue with that except that really all your doing is raising the cost to build a widget, or grow a widget to a point in which the 8.00 an hour becomes 15.00 an hour it seems to me
What is a living wage?

Minimum wage was, and should be again, a living wage....meaning one person working a 40 hour a week job makes enough money to rent their own apartment, provide their own transportation, pay their medical bills, their utility bills, and buy their clothes.

Today you can't even get an apartment on minimum wage.

In 1968, my brother, on a mw job, got his own apartment, his own car(brand spanking new), and went to college part time in the evenings....can't do that anymore on a mw job.

sorry... i dont think so.

Get some room mates and split bills. OR work two jobs, that is not a new concept.

Libs believe that they are entitled to a certain amount of money. They will never consider living within their means, the means should rise up to the level of entitlement. Minimum wage was never supposed to be a living wage. It would be detrimental to have minimum wage one that someone could live on. If that were so, there would be little to no incentive to move beyond minimum wage. Entry level would be quarantined into itself. Workers are expected to move out of minimum wage quickly. Unless they are kids with summer jobs, or elderly looking for pin money, minimum wage jobs are not supposed to last very long, a year perhaps.

I have known and worked for companies that have a minimum wage time limit. As short as 90 days, as long as a year. Either you become qualified to move up, or you are out of a job.

If minimum wage is something that you shouldn't be able to live on, then what are you supposed to do when the only job you have pays minimum wage? Getting a second job isn't exactly something you can quickly acquire in this economy.

Throw your arms up in the air and demand that you be paid $45,000/yr to work a french fry machine.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think anyone has suggested a living wage needs to be that high.

Just a thought...

If you have to work two jobs to make a living wage, how on earth are you ever going to make enough money to go to college and get a better job?

Define "EARN"?

Hey, I worked full-time and took out student loans which then took 10 years to pay back.

It can be done.

Libs believe that they are entitled to a certain amount of money. They will never consider living within their means, the means should rise up to the level of entitlement. Minimum wage was never supposed to be a living wage. It would be detrimental to have minimum wage one that someone could live on. If that were so, there would be little to no incentive to move beyond minimum wage. Entry level would be quarantined into itself. Workers are expected to move out of minimum wage quickly. Unless they are kids with summer jobs, or elderly looking for pin money, minimum wage jobs are not supposed to last very long, a year perhaps.

I have known and worked for companies that have a minimum wage time limit. As short as 90 days, as long as a year. Either you become qualified to move up, or you are out of a job.

If minimum wage is something that you shouldn't be able to live on, then what are you supposed to do when the only job you have pays minimum wage? Getting a second job isn't exactly something you can quickly acquire in this economy.

Well that begs the question, why are you working a minimum wage job?

Throw your arms up in the air and demand that you be paid $45,000/yr to work a french fry machine.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think anyone has suggested a living wage needs to be that high.

Ok, then give me the number.

Just a thought...

They are looking for the ONE job they WANT to work at. I am very sure all of those college grads would never consider baby sitting, housekeeping or picking fields.

If someone is working a full time minimum wage job, they probably don't have a college degree.

So, at the very least, it would be reasonable to pay them enough that they could afford to work and go to college at the same time. We have grants that are available to help out with this, but unfortunately, there has been talk of ending them.

If that happens, we're going to have a lot more people on welfare than before.

Just a thought...

They are looking for the ONE job they WANT to work at. I am very sure all of those college grads would never consider baby sitting, housekeeping or picking fields.

I worked at a veterinarian clinic cleaning kennels, a tuxedo rental store and I sold encyclopedias.

Just a thought...

If you have to work two jobs to make a living wage, how on earth are you ever going to make enough money to go to college and get a better job?

Define "EARN"?

life sucks..... why should a "living wage" include enough for a college tuition?

Earn... old concept. Work.

Just a thought...

of Americans are looking for ONE job...

My sons friends are all recent college graduates and they ARE working jobs in childcare, bar tending and lawn maintenance

None are paying a living wage

If someone is working a full time minimum wage job, they probably don't have a college degree.

So, at the very least, it would be reasonable to pay them enough that they could afford to work and go to college at the same time. We have grants that are available to help out with this, but unfortunately, there has been talk of ending them.

If that happens, we're going to have a lot more people on welfare than before.

Sure, if the job is worth that much. Otherwise, not so much. That's not my responsibility. If I have 10 people wiling to do it for $7.50/hr, why would I pay you $10? That's stupid. Do you go to Wal-Mart and offer to pay more than sticker?

of Americans are looking for ONE job...

My sons friends are all recent college graduates and they ARE working jobs in childcare, bar tending and lawn maintenance

None are paying a living wage

Good for them.

And if they want more money.... get a second job.

27-29 a year with some help on insurance should do it
That is 13-14 an hour and you pay 30-40% of you ins.
@ 8.00 16640 per year. you can make it, with a room mate etc...

Forum List

Back