Fact-check: No, the CDC didn't lower the coronavirus death toll

He is simply repeating a buzzfeed story-
the CDC also includes cases where COVID-19 was the probable cause of death, not simply the confirmed cause of death. As the CDC states, "A probable case or death is defined by one of the following: Meeting clinical criteria AND epidemiologic evidence with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19; Meeting presumptive laboratory evidence AND either clinical criteria OR epidemiologic evidence; Meeting vital records criteria with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19."

This is how the cdC comes up with their number vs
Weekly statistics from the National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System (NNDSS).
Notice table 1 is no longer viewable

the CDC also includes cases where COVID-19 was the probable cause of death, not simply the confirmed cause of death. As the CDC states, "A probable case or death is defined by one of the following: Meeting clinical criteria AND epidemiologic evidence with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19; Meeting presumptive laboratory evidence AND either clinical criteria OR epidemiologic evidence; Meeting vital records criteria with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19."

Weekly statistics from the National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System (NNDSS).
All that blah blah blah without proving a decrease in reported deaths?
Typing long paragraphs isn't proof of a change in numbers.

Right wingers on Twitter and rinky dinky message boards are saying that CBC lowered the death toll to 30 something thousands.
Actually the CDC still has it at 65000, as you can see in their website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.
A separate agency that is part of the CDC has data that goes only up to April 25th.
and that particular website never had it higher than that. That's the number that right wingers are citing.
Remember, rinky dinky message boards are for entertainment only. Don't get your news from said places.
Besides the CDC link above debunking this lie, here are additional fact-checks:
I hate to stick a pin in your ballon but snopes has been debunked numerous times for being partisan and entirely wrong in their so called fact checking.
Anyone that actually cites them as fact shows that they can be taken in by the Internet.
No, it hasn't.

Perfect. Now prove that the NCHS had a number higher
Your link says "Death counts are delayed" and you can't prove the NCHS was ever above 37,000.
The CDC has always had an updated figure and a delayed figure.
Can you tell me what the NCHS's delayed number figure before 37,000?

Right wingers on Twitter and rinky dinky message boards are saying that CBC lowered the death toll to 30 something thousands.
Actually the CDC still has it at 65000, as you can see in their website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.
A separate agency that is part of the CDC has data that goes only up to April 25th.
and that particular website never had it higher than that. That's the number that right wingers are citing.
Remember, rinky dinky message boards are for entertainment only. Don't get your news from said places.
Even your anchor for the right wing OANN debunked it

Anyway yas slice it the left is always full of shit and wrong 94.8% of the time

Meister's link from the CDC shows 37,308 COVID deaths as a 1 May. Which sorta begs the question: WTF? Where's the 60k+ number? One other fact I see that I haven't seen in the MSM: over the past 2 weeks the numbers are going DOWN.
The 65,000 number has been given to you like 5 times in this thread, but you pretend not to know where it is.

they also said if it is a facility and the facility had a confirmed case, then any death within the facility is wuhan flu.

they will not waste test kits on the dead.

Meister's link from the CDC shows 37,308 COVID deaths as a 1 May. Which sorta begs the question: WTF? Where's the 60k+ number? One other fact I see that I haven't seen in the MSM: over the past 2 weeks the numbers are going DOWN.
The 65,000 number has been given to you like 5 times in this thread, but you pretend not to know where it is.

Ah, I think I see what's going on here. The 65,000 number includes confirmed cases plus presumptive cases, as in speculation where they have no real data that says the person died of COVID but let's list it as such because then the hospital will get more gov't money. They call it death by COVID-19. They automatically overestimate the real COVID death numbers, by their own admission, doctors are admitting this. Prior to COVID-19, people were more likely to get an accurate cause of death written on their death certificate if they died in the hospital. Why more accurate when a patient dies in the hospital? Because hospital staff has physical examination findings labs, radiologic studies, et cetera, to make a good educated guess. It is estimated that 60 percent of people die in the hospital. But even [with] those in-hospital deaths, the cause of death is not always clear, especially in someone with multiple health conditions, each of which could cause the death. They're calling it a COVID death where a laboratory confirmation is inconclusive or not available.

From a March 24 CDC memo from Steven Schwartz, director of the Division of Vital Statistics for the National Center for Health Statistics, titled “COVID-19 Alert No. 2.”:

Should “COVID-19” be reported on the death certificate only with a confirmed test? COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death.

This is liberal-minded assholes deliberately misleading the public as to the severity of COVID.

True, they failed lowering the death toll with their diverse work force.

President Trump and his merit based selection criteria on the other hand did successfully lower the death toll from millions to being comparable with regular flu season.

Ah, I think I see what's going on here. The 65,000 number includes confirmed cases plus presumptive cases, as in speculation where they have no real data that says the person died of COVID but let's list it as such because then the hospital will get more gov't money. They call it death by COVID-19. They automatically overestimate the real COVID death numbers, by their own admission, doctors are admitting this. Prior to COVID-19, people were more likely to get an accurate cause of death written on their death certificate if they died in the hospital. Why more accurate when a patient dies in the hospital? Because hospital staff has physical examination findings labs, radiologic studies, et cetera, to make a good educated guess. It is estimated that 60 percent of people die in the hospital. But even [with] those in-hospital deaths, the cause of death is not always clear, especially in someone with multiple health conditions, each of which could cause the death. They're calling it a COVID death where a laboratory confirmation is inconclusive or not available.

From a March 24 CDC memo from Steven Schwartz, director of the Division of Vital Statistics for the National Center for Health Statistics, titled “COVID-19 Alert No. 2.”:

Should “COVID-19” be reported on the death certificate only with a confirmed test? COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death.

This is liberal-minded assholes deliberately misleading the public as to the severity of COVID.
Perfect. Now prove that the NCHS had a number higher
Your link says "Death counts are delayed" and you can't prove the NCHS was ever above 37,000.
The CDC has always had an updated figure and a delayed figure.
Can you tell me what the NCHS's delayed number figure before 37,000?
Dude, you asked, and I provided....and it wasn't Fox News.
Now....go be a liberal twit, ok?

Snopes is a liberal rag that twists its lies around.

Is the CDC a liberal rag?

I don't know, is it?

This is CDC website... look it up yourself.

1588608039102.png

Taking what Snopes is saying for granted, instead of looking at the chart yourself. Idiotic. Do you always need someone to explain things to you?

If you notice they have an "% of expected deaths" column. How do they get over 20% extra on 11th April when the deaths were not even high then? And look at the months previously, they are not getting to 100% of expected, they are simply taking the deaths from that period & now counting them as COVID deaths and putting them on the death certificate. Major fiddling of the figures. Not that there are no COVID deaths, they are padding them, five-fold.

You do realize that he has already shown he only understands simple English and his understanding of more then see Dick run is problematic don't you. So trying to explain anything as complicated as what you wrote is way beyond him.

You're going from "They went from 65k to 30k" to "the numbers make no sense".
That lie didn't last.

You still have no clue do you. I have not said anything about the numbers you dimwit. I have tried to explain to you that snopes is not a reliable source. I have pointed out to another poster that you have a problem understanding simple things. Point out any time on any post where I have desputed any numbers.

Damn and people wonder why I say that people on the left are extremely stupid.

Taking what Snopes is saying for granted, instead of looking at the chart yourself. Idiotic. Do you always need someone to explain things to you?

If you notice they have an "% of expected deaths" column. How do they get over 20% extra on 11th April when the deaths were not even high then? And look at the months previously, they are not getting to 100% of expected, they are simply taking the deaths from that period & now counting them as COVID deaths and putting them on the death certificate. Major fiddling of the figures. Not that there are no COVID deaths, they are padding them, five-fold.

You do realize that he has already shown he only understands simple English and his understanding of more then see Dick run is problematic don't you. So trying to explain anything as complicated as what you wrote is way beyond him.

You're going from "They went from 65k to 30k" to "the numbers make no sense".
That lie didn't last.

You still have no clue do you. I have not said anything about the numbers you dimwit. I have tried to explain to you that snopes is not a reliable source. I have pointed out to another poster that you have a problem understanding simple things. Point out any time on any post where I have desputed any numbers.

Damn and people wonder why I say that people on the left are extremely stupid.

Americano has you covered.

Your own dingbat source says "didn't substantially lower it". Now check your thread title.

I hate to stick a pin in your ballon but snopes has been debunked numerous times for being partisan and entirely wrong in their so called fact checking.
Anyone that actually cites them as fact shows that they can be taken in by the Internet.
No, it hasn't.
You mean just about every fact checking site calls them out for their bias and you say no it hasn't. Got anything to back that up? There has already been a couple of posts proving that they are not a good source of fact checking. But you go with your best guess there.

Snopes is a liberal rag that twists its lies around.

Look you special kind of extreme moron, you've been given the link to the CDC. It clearly shows that there's over 65 thousand deaths.

To say that snoops is lying is a lie on your part.

Stop being a moron. Here's the home page of the CDC. If you can continue to say that snoops is lying you seriously need to get help. Now. Today.

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 11.20.03 AM.png

Forum List

Back