Fascinating maps reveal the literal translations of every country in the world

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
4CED02C700000578-0-image-a-4_1528190886487.jpg

Six maps to give you chuckles. You should take the time to check them out.

Most people would say they've never heard of the 'Land of Many Rabbits', the 'Place of Pomegranates' or the country called 'Hippotamus'.

But it turns out they are actually the literal translations of Spain, Grenada and Mali.

I’d personally be interested in discovering similar information for the sub-entities in each country. Such as what the various shires in England stand for. Or each state in the USA.

They are found @ Fascinating maps reveal the literal translations of every country in the world | Daily Mail Online

4CED02C700000578-0-image-a-4_1528190886487.jpg

Six maps to give you chuckles. You should take the time to check them out.

Most people would say they've never heard of the 'Land of Many Rabbits', the 'Place of Pomegranates' or the country called 'Hippotamus'.

But it turns out they are actually the literal translations of Spain, Grenada and Mali.

I’d personally be interested in discovering similar information for the sub-entities in each country. Such as what the various shires in England stand for. Or each state in the USA.

They are found @ Fascinating maps reveal the literal translations of every country in the world | Daily Mail Online
Thanks for link, I have been interested in thios for a while. The US is very poor in teaching history outside of US, this will help shed some light on it!

Complete load of shit. New Zealand is the translation of the Dutch Nieuw-Zeeland.
Land of the Long White Cloud is the translation of the Maori Aotearoa.

I shudder to think what other howlers the author made. I'm guessing the author got Wales wrong, if it was possible to read it, which should be Cymru or Cambria.

Last edited:
Complete load of shit. New Zealand is the translation of the Dutch Nieuw-Zeeland.
Land of the Long White Cloud is the translation of the Maori Aotearoa.

I shudder to think what other howlers the author made. I'm guessing the author got Wales wrong, if it was possible to read it, which should be Cymru or Cambria.

Sorry you're so riled up. I posted it for the fun of it.

Forum List

Back