Favorite houses

Larsky

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2016
DuPage County
Being from Chitown, there are scores. Stadiums are not considered. They suck. We have The Auditorium, Orchestra,hall, Aragon, Uptown, Riviera, Park West, The Vic, Cabaret Metro, Smart Bar, Exit, Double Door, House of blues, Empty Bottle, Cubby Bear, etc.

In Milwaukee, the Oriental Theatre, Pabst Theatre.

But my favorite is Red rocks. Only been there once, many moons ago. Good Times.

*Addendum* A few of these venues are now defunct.

p7ykgzou3hjxhvepevcq.jpg

McCormick Place. My step-dad used to run a spotlight there, before it burned down. He went on to become the stage manager for Drury Lane Theater in Oak Lawn. The guy who owned it was a Dago named Anthony De Santis.

Lived in Oak Lawn, Lombard, Villa Park, Worth, Blue Island, and Elmhurst when all those were nothing but cornfields. I left the Chicago area in 1969 and haven't been back since. Went to HS with a couple member of Styx, before they started gigging.

McCormick Place. My step-dad used to run a spotlight there, before it burned down. He went on to become the stage manager for Drury Lane Theater in Oak Lawn. The guy who owned it was a Dago named Anthony De Santis.

Lived in Oak Lawn, Lombard, Villa Park, Worth, Blue Island, and Elmhurst when all those were nothing but cornfields. I left the Chicago area in 1969 and haven't been back since. Went to HS with a couple member of Styx, before they started gigging.
Styx played at my High School in '78. Downers Grove South.

Remember the castle of toys?

Being from Chitown, there are scores. Stadiums are not considered. They suck. We have The Auditorium, Orchestra,hall, Aragon, Uptown, Riviera, Park West, The Vic, Cabaret Metro, Smart Bar, Exit, Double Door, House of blues, Empty Bottle, Cubby Bear, etc.

Maggie's whore house. Oh excuse me, you meant favorite musical venue. Yeah I liked Red Rocks too. I used to live in Denver years ago.

Styx played at my High School in '78. Downers Grove South.

Never got to see them. I did meet one of the members at a party one time. He name was John Cirleski (sp) I think. He later got kicked out of the band for drug use or something. He was playing "Louie Louie" on a cheap chord organ someone had.

I lived in Texas when Pantera was getting their start. They were from Pantego, which was the town next to the one I lived in. I could have seen them when they started playing the small clubs there, but never did for some reason. Kinda wish I'd seen them before Dimebag Daryl got shot dead.

I did go to the Dallas topless joint they owned once. It was a pretty high-classed place and they'd throw you out in a heartbeat if you caused any trouble. The ATM fees were something like $5 there.

Vaguely. Was that that big castle-looking building? I think we lived within a few miles of there once.

best Mexican food I ever had was a place called Longy's. It was a sleazy-looking bar that had rubber machines in the bathroom. But in the back was a small restaurant. The guy that cooked there had palsy and shook. Everyone said it was because he was traumatized from watching his family shot, during the Mexican revolution or something.

There's a great little theater in Phoenix, Arizona, unfortunately in a not so great area and neighborhood, The Celebrity Theater. It seats about 3,000-3,500 I THINK, and the stage ROTATES continuously throughout the whole show! I HOPE it's still there, I moved from Phoenix about 10 years ago, and I think the last show I saw there was around 2007. It was a fantastic place to see a show because you really didn't have a bad seat anywhere in the place because of the rotating stage. And the acoustics there were quite good.

Vaguely. Was that that big castle-looking building? I think we lived within a few miles of there once.

best Mexican food I ever had was a place called Longy's. It was a sleazy-looking bar that had rubber machines in the bathroom. But in the back was a small restaurant. The guy that cooked there had palsy and shook. Everyone said it was because he was traumatized from watching his family shot, during the Mexican revolution or something.
Longy's on Roosevelt Road in Lombard! I remember it well. There was a joint called the Spinnaker next door.

Longy's on Roosevelt Road in Lombard! I remember it well. There was a joint called the Spinnaker next door.

Damn. You are old. :auiqs.jpg:

That was when Longy's moved into a new building. I went there back in 1980 when I had to go to Illinois for my brother's funeral. The food wasn't near as good as it was when the place was in the back of a hole in the wall bar, and I think the old cook that had palsy had probably passed away by then. The old place had some bottles of Mexican hot sauce on the table that I've never been able to find. It was dark brown and had the consistency of A-1 sauce, but hot.

I believe there was a small kid's park somewhere near there. The park had a miniature railroad and the owner would give kids a ride on it. The old geezer who owned made us salute him and call him "Captain" or something.

Then there was Kohler's Trading Post in Lombard. We lived right behind it. Kohler's had a huge lot that was packed full of large military conexes that were packed full of surplus. Inside the building was a shitload of old stuff: Antique guns, knives, and swords hanging on the walls. Lots of stuff that would be worth a fortune today. The whole place went up in a fire at some time and rats scattered everywhere.

Back in the day, the Westbury Music Fair had some great acts including:

The Who
The Doors
Hendrix
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Sly and the Family Stone

That was when Longy's moved into a new building. I went there back in 1980 when I had to go to Illinois for my brother's funeral. The food wasn't near as good as it was when the place was in the back of a hole in the wall bar, and I think the old cook that had palsy had probably passed away by then. The old place had some bottles of Mexican hot sauce on the table that I've never been able to find. It was dark brown and had the consistency of A-1 sauce, but hot.

I believe there was a small kid's park somewhere near there. The park had a miniature railroad and the owner would give kids a ride on it. The old geezer who owned made us salute him and call him "Captain" or something.

Then there was Kohler's Trading Post in Lombard. We lived right behind it. Kohler's had a huge lot that was packed full of large military conexes that were packed full of surplus. Inside the building was a shitload of old stuff: Antique guns, knives, and swords hanging on the walls. Lots of stuff that would be worth a fortune today. The whole place went up in a fire at some time and rats scattered everywhere.
There was a Mexican joint in Warrenville called El Adobe. They were damn good. Lombard still has a few old school taverns. O'Neill's, Punky's, Otto's come to mind.

For 15 years, there used to be a really good festival in Maryville, TN every fall. The last show was in 2014. Several country singers played over them years. I was at the first one in 2000 as well as the show in 2004 and 2005.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I miss them days.

Forum List

Back