FBI Interviewed Dead Boston Bombing Suspect Years Ago...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
The FBI admitted Friday they interviewed the now-deceased Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev two years ago and failed to find any incriminating information about him.

As first reported by CBS News correspondent Bob Orr, the FBI interviewed Tsarnaev, the elder brother of at-large bombing suspect Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, at the request of a foreign government to see if he had any extremist ties, but failed to find any linkage.

Both Tsarnaev brothers were legal permanent residents of the U.S. There is no evidence so far that either brother received any tactical training.

CBS News correspondent John Miller reports it is likely Russia asked to have the elder Tsarnaev vetted because of suspected ties to Chechen extremists.

The FBI is likely to have run a background check, running his name through all the relevant databases, including those of other agencies, checking on his communications and all of his overseas travel. Miller reports that culminated in a sit-down interview where they probably asked him a lot of questions about his life, his contacts, his surroundings. All of this was then written in a report and sent it to the requesting government...

More:
FBI interviewed dead Boston bombing suspect years ago - CBS News
DRUDGE REPORT 2013®

A lot has changed since I left Federal service. However, to me, the mere fact that a foreign nation (in this case, most likely Russia) would contact the US about this guy should have been all the evidence necessary for the feds to keep a very close eye on this guy.

I understand that the FBI and probably DHS did cursory investigations of the suspect and (of course) would have found nothing. Apparently, at this point, they dropped their investigation for lack of evidence.

We never want to become the KGB. However, when this bombing took place, this man's name should have popped up IMMEDIATELY (and who knows, it may have).

We always hear that we (the Government) has to be right "100% of the time" while terrorists only have to be right "1 time". This was an extremely good example of the Feds dropping the proverbial ball - yet again.

Lately, there seem to be more and more examples of this happening......

A lot has changed since I left Federal service. However, to me, the mere fact that a foreign nation (in this case, most likely Russia) would contact the US about this guy should have been all the evidence necessary for the feds to keep a very close eye on this guy.

I understand that the FBI and probably DHS did cursory investigations of the suspect and (of course) would have found nothing. Apparently, at this point, they dropped their investigation for lack of evidence.

We never want to become the KGB. However, when this bombing took place, this man's name should have popped up IMMEDIATELY (and who knows, it may have).

We always hear that we (the Government) has to be right "100% of the time" while terrorists only have to be right "1 time". This was an extremely good example of the Feds dropping the proverbial ball - yet again.

Lately, there seem to be more and more examples of this happening......

Well said. Thanks.

Who led whom?...
:eusa_eh:
For bombing suspects, question may be who led whom
Apr 20,`13 -- Tamerlan Tsarnaev ranted at a neighbor about Islam and the United States. His younger brother, Dzhokhar, relished debating people on religion, "then crushing their beliefs with facts."
The older brother sought individual glory in the boxing ring, while the younger excelled as part of a team. Tamerlan "swaggered" through the family home like a "man-of-the-house type," one visitor recalls, while Dzhokhar seemed "very respectful and very obedient" to his mother. The brothers, now forever linked in the Boston Marathon bombing tragedy, in some ways seemed as different as siblings could be. But whatever drove them to allegedly set off two pressure-cooker bombs, their uncle is certain Dzhokhar was not the one pulling the strings. "He's not been understanding anything. He's a 19-year-old boy," Ruslan Tsarni said of his brother's youngest child, who is clinging to life in a Boston hospital after a gunbattle with police. "He's been absolutely wasted by his older brother. I mean, he used him. He used him for whatever he's done. For what we see they've done. OK?"

Criminologist James Alan Fox says the uncle's intuition is justified. In cases like this, he says, it is highly unusual for the younger participant - in this case, a sibling - to be the leader. "I would be surprised," says Fox, a professor of Criminology, Law and Public Policy at Boston's Northeastern University. "Very surprised." Whatever their fraternal pecking order, when the bullets began flying in Watertown on Thursday night and 26-year-old Tamerlan went down, his younger brother ran him over - dragging him for about 30 feet - before ditching the car and fleeing on foot. After a 24-hour manhunt that shut down most of the Boston metropolitan area, police cornered the gravely wounded Dzhokhar hiding in a boat in a backyard, only blocks from where his brother bled out.

Officials said Dzhokhar was in serious condition Saturday, unable to communicate. So, at least for now, investigators and the public are left with only enigma. The ethnic Chechen family came to this country in 2002, after fleeing troubles in Kyrgyzstan and then Dagestan, a predominantly Muslim republic in Russia's North Caucasus. They settled in a working-class part of Cambridge, where the father, Anzor Tsarnaev, opened an auto shop. He returned to Dagestan about a year ago.

Luis Vasquez went to high school with Tamerlan and later helped coach Dzhokhar's soccer team at Cambridge Rindge and Latin. With the father gone, Vasquez said, the older brother assumed a kind of paternal role, at least where the girls in the family were concerned. "He was very protective of his (younger) sister, Bella," Vasquez said. "He would keep an eye out, making sure she's good, making sure she's not having a hard time." Vasquez chalked it up to "his culture" and "what his family expected out of him."

MORE

See also:

Chechnya experts caution against seeing international conspiracy
April 20, 2013 — The revelation that the two men suspected of carrying out the bombing that killed three people and injured more than 170 at the Boston Marathon on Monday are originally from Chechnya fueled speculation that the attack was politically motivated and part of an organized international plot led by Chechen nationalists.
But two Connecticut professors with expertise in Russian history don't believe that is the case. Peter Rutland, a professor of government at Wesleyan University who has studied Russia extensively, said Friday that he believed that the men were not part of an international conspiracy hatched by Chechen rebels, based on the amount of time that they lived in the U.S. and that they hadn't appeared to have gone back for military training. "It's more of a lone-wolf operation," Rutland said. Rutland said that the United States' sympathetic support of the Chechen separatist movement also leads him to believe that the attack was not motivated by Chechen nationalism.

Rutland said that he expected the Chechen government to deny any involvement in the bombings and that he also could see the Russian government trying to put the two together. "It fits (Russian President Vladimir) Putin's narrative. He will say, 'We told you so. You gave them asylum and see what happened,'" said Rutland, an author of three books on Russia and fellow of the Davis Center for Russian Studies at Harvard.

Emma Gilligan, an assistant professor of Russian history and human rights at the University of Connecticut and an expert on Chechnya, said it's also essential to be aware of the brutality that the family fled. There were two brutal conflicts in Chechnya during the 1990s that included horrific human rights abuses — including a hostage crisis in 2004 in which Chechen rebels took over a school in Beslan, Russia. More than 380 people died when Russian troops stormed the building, where more than 1,000 people had been held for three days. "The first thing that comes to mind is why would these young men choose the Boston Marathon to conduct such a horrible act,'' said Gilligan, author of "Terror in Chechnya," an account of Russian war crimes in Chechnya. "The other question is when did they come to the United States and what was their experience prior to this." "The historical context of what you are dealing with is important here. What was the context in which these boys may have come out of and what had they encountered?"

Gilligan said that the radical wing of Chechen rebels came under the control of more extreme foreign fighters, who sought a broader battle. "We know that a nationalist movement has turned into a radical Islamic movement that was seeking an Islamic state from the Black to the Caspian Sea." The movement "is still active. It is nowhere near as strong as it used to be,'' because it is split between moderates and extremists. "Maybe they were just disturbed victims of two very horrific wars,'' she said.

Source

Last edited:
Obama and cronies along with their political correctness are going to be the downfall of America!

This is perhaps one of the reasons the FBI dropped the ball with Boston bomber!

" ..... around the same time the bureau interviewed Tsarnaev, changes in the FBI training manual took place as well. The FBI's own departmental counter-terrorism analytic lexicon was purged of key words that could reference Islamic terrorism. Words like Muslim, Islam, Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas, and sharia were not mentioned once in the FBI's counter-terrorism lexicon afterwards...."

Flashback: FBI Training Manual Purged References to Islamic Terror

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJXk1iGzllQ]NY TIMES SAYS FBI STAGED TERROR ATTACKS - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRuGpqk7jFU]FBI DHS STAGED BOSTON BOMBS: NEVADA GOVERNOR 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, we must be more diligent in punishing people for things they may do.

You can't be too careful nowadays.

It is proven fact that the FBI & CIA do fund and fascilitate Terror Plots. The idea is to arrest them before the attacks can be carried out. But maybe on occasion, they're not in time. Fast & Furious is one of those well-known debacles. This could be an operation that went terribly wrong. But who really knows? And i have my doubts we ever will know.

Last edited:
Typical rw crap that they would jail an American citizen(s) based on what he (they) might be thinking or might do in the future while simultaneously saying they should be able to buy any gun they want.

I posted this elsewhere -

I've been reading that several Republicans (as well as nutters here) have been in favor of torturing the surviving suspect. Some of these brain dead fools have said that we should have jailed them based on the info from Russia. (IOW, punish them for what they might have been thinking/planning instead of actual criminal behavior. George Orwell is doing flip flops in his grave!)

Interesting because those are the same people who want known terrorists to be able buy guns, assault rifles, high capacity clips - all legally.

I want guns to go to law abiding citizens. Idiot R reactionaries want illegals, known terrorists, criminals and the mentally ill to have the same rights I have.

DUH.

Typical rw crap that they would jail an American citizen(s) based on what he (they) might be thinking or might do in the future while simultaneously saying they should be able to buy any gun they want.

I posted this elsewhere -

I've been reading that several Republicans (as well as nutters here) have been in favor of torturing the surviving suspect. Some of these brain dead fools have said that we should have jailed them based on the info from Russia. (IOW, punish them for what they might have been thinking/planning instead of actual criminal behavior. George Orwell is doing flip flops in his grave!)

Interesting because those are the same people who want known terrorists to be able buy guns, assault rifles, high capacity clips - all legally.

I want guns to go to law abiding citizens. Idiot R reactionaries want illegals, known terrorists, criminals and the mentally ill to have the same rights I have.

DUH.

who said arrest him? the only thing i read was to watch him more closely.

Obama and cronies along with their political correctness are going to be the downfall of America!

This is perhaps one of the reasons the FBI dropped the ball with Boston bomber!

" ..... around the same time the bureau interviewed Tsarnaev, changes in the FBI training manual took place as well. The FBI's own departmental counter-terrorism analytic lexicon was purged of key words that could reference Islamic terrorism. Words like Muslim, Islam, Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas, and sharia were not mentioned once in the FBI's counter-terrorism lexicon afterwards...."

Flashback: FBI Training Manual Purged References to Islamic Terror

I don't understand why it matters who does the terrorism.
Isn't all terrorism to be countered - whether it be Muslims or anyone?
Perhaps those words were removed to ensure that the focus was on all terrorism.

Those Boston "Terrorists" used High Capacity Rice Cookers.

Low Info Luddy strikes again.

Cherry picking again so you can pretend you don't understand.

Go ahead. Find where I said anything that supports your stupid post.

FACT: the Rs and the brain dead gun nutters want known terrorists, illegals, criminals to be able to buy any weapon they want.

That is FACT and you cannot deny it.

who said arrest him? the only thing i read was to watch him more closely.

It was said here but don't expect any of the nutters to admit to it today.

Forum List

Back