Veterans Groups Hit Back At J D Vance For Claiming Tim Walz Had Stolen Valor

JD Bowman served in the Marines for just 4 years. He was a journalist in a uniform.

There simply is no comparison to a 24 year Command Sergeant Major.
He wasn't a CSM. He fled in violation of his contract so he is a Master Sgt. No more.

If you actually watch the video posted a few posts above, he said he "carried weapons in war"

The closest he got to Iraq was Italy.

Sorry, I did not see the video as I have that person on ignore.

I went back and watched it and he does say he carried them in war, and that is wrong for him to say.

Didn't have an opportunity to go to combat, like Walz, and chose not to go.

When did he drop his papers and request his retirement?

I know it took mine over 14 months to go through the chain and be approved.

That is about average from my experience.

When did he drop his papers and request his retirement?

I know it took mine over 14 months to go through the chain and be approved.

That is about average from my experience.
His retirement date was set for 9/18/2005, but he took an early retirement on 5/16/2005, right before the rest of the unit was deployed to Iraq.

His retirement date was set for 9/18/2005, but he took an early retirement on 5/16/2005, right before the rest of the unit was deployed to Iraq.

If his date was set for Sept of 2005 he would not have deployed with his unit even if he did not retire 4 months early.

In fact it turns out his unit did not leave for Iraq till March of 2006, thus he would have been long retired either way.

It also turns out that the unit did not receive their orders till July of 2005, after he was retired.

You are way off base with this one. This is unbecoming of one that claims to be a Veteran.

It's about his service, and him elaborating on it.

My Father was in the Navy in the late 60's early 70's, but Atlantic Fleet, so he NEVER said he was a Vietnam Vet.
He has served his country. He deserves your respect for that. STFU. Trump and MAGA disrespecti vetrans who do not support Trumpism . Your disgusting cult judges everything on how they treat your cult leader. It is sick.

He has served his country. He deserves your respect for that. STFU. Trump and MAGA disrespecti vetrans who do not support Trumpism . Your disgusting cult judges everything on how they treat your cult leader. It is sick.

He said something that wasn't true. He claimed war experience he never had.

You can't even respond to an obvious fact. The video is there for all to see.

Oh, and you are going to show Vance ALL SORTS of respect, right?

If his date was set for Sept of 2005 he would not have deployed with his unit even if he did not retire 4 months early.

In fact it turns out his unit did not leave for Iraq till March of 2006, thus he would have been long retired either way.

It also turns out that the unit did not receive their orders till July of 2005, after he was retired.

You are way off base with this one. This is unbecoming of one that claims to be a Veteran.

According to his Report of Separation and Record of Service, he re-enlisted for 6 years in 9/2001 (although Walz claims 4 years). His unit received an alert order in July 2005 and was mobilized in October 2005. According to a Department of Defense Directive, he could have requested permission from the Secretary of Defense to enter active duty, as many reservists have done. He didn't even complete his paperwork or coursework and was demoted to Master Sergeant with a retirement pay grade of E-8.

The guy is just not being honest about his service.

From ABC News

What to know about Walz's military record and Vance's accusations of 'stolen valor'​

According to records by the National Guard, the 1st Battalion of the 125th Field Artillery received an alert order on July 14, 2005, – two months after Walz retired. The mobilization order came in August and the unit mobilized in October.

According to his Report of Separation and Record of Service, he re-enlisted for 6 years in 9/2001 (although Walz claims 4 years). His unit received an alert order in July 2005 and was mobilized in October 2005. According to a Department of Defense Directive, he could have requested permission from the Secretary of Defense to enter active duty, as many reservists have done. He didn't even complete his paperwork or coursework and was demoted to Master Sergeant with a retirement pay grade of E-8.

The guy is just not being honest about his service.

From ABC News

So, now you are going from he retired to specifically avoid going to Iraq to he could have volunteered to unretire if he had wanted but choose not to

You are not being honest here.

There seem to be some good reasons to criticize Walz, saying he carried a weapon in war, for example.

This retirement thing is just a lie, plain and simple. And you do him and yourself a disservice pushing it the way you are

Sen. J.D. Vance (R-OH) began his Wednesday this week by attacking his vice-presidential opponent, Gov. Tim Walz (D-MN), for supposedly misleading people about his 24-year service. According to Vance, Walz is deploying "stolen valor" to promote himself.

Veterans and pro-vet groups, however, are hitting back at Vance for questioning Walz's service and rank.

"We're setting the record straight," Vote Vets said with a post on the social media site X. They created a graph showing the "fact and fiction" of Walz's military record. Among the fictional claims, "Walz retired because he knew he was going to deploy to Iraq. Walz is using a rank he didn't attain and that's Stolen Valor."

Vote Vets labeled this claim "Bulls--t," and then explained why.

"Tim submitted his retirement request to the U.S. Army National Guard months prior to the notification of his unit's deployment," they explained. "His unit was fully sourced (staffed), and his request was approved. He retired in May 2005."

On the claim about his rank, the group called that "Bulls--t," as well.

"The Minnesota National Guard says it's bulls--t," they write. "It is entirely accurate to describe Tim as having been a Command Sergeant Major -- the rank under which he served -- and the Minnesota National Guard has emphasized in public statements that he can be referred to as such."

Veterans For Responsible Leadership, a non-partisan advocacy group, similarly posted a photo of Walz where he was coaching football. "Do you notice what shirt he's wearing," the org asked. "It's Mission 22 - a great organization with the great mission of preventing veteran suicide. He walks the walk."

Walz served on the House Veterans Affairs Committee when he was in Congress.

Afghanistan veteran and director of Common Defense Perry O'Brien similarly called out Vance saying, "Veterans who attack each other's service are weird." He championed Walz and his service.

Lets see,

Vote Vets
US Army National Guard
Minnesota National Guard
Veterans For Responsible Leadership
Common Defense

You USMB losers sticking with your stories?
Hey asshole, Walz DESERTED his fellows. He NEVER fought, NEVER deployed, and ran like a coward upon the news he was going to have to deploy. Then claimed to have fought. Stolen valor.

Fake news.

His unit did not leave for Iraq till March of 2006, long after he was retired.

The unit did not receive their orders till July of 2005, again after he was retired.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/07/politics/tim-walz-military-record-vance-attack/index.html#:~:text=The unit first mobilized in,during US operations in Iraq.
Not fake. Reports from the men IN THAT UNIT say different you lying leftist. CNN? Of course you use a leftist source. Defending a stolen valor liar....

He said something that wasn't true. He claimed war experience he never had.

You can't even respond to an obvious fact. The video is there for all to see.

Oh, and you are going to show Vance ALL SORTS of respect, right?
Have you listened to the quote that is being referred to. He said "weapons of war that I carried" He never said he served in a war zone. He is a marksman. He trained the use of weapons while serving.

It is what he did. He served for 24 years while teaching coaching and raising his own fmily.
He did a hell of a lot more than me. So did Vance. I honor his service. But after service I don't respect what he has done and more important what he is doing.

Tell me about your service. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Forum List

Back