FDA and CDC Caused Crucial Delay in COVID-19 Testing

mikegriffith1

Mike Griffith
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 23, 2012
Virginia
If you're upset about America's delay in large-scale testing for COVID-19, you should be upset at the FDA and the CDC, especially at the FDA, not at President. Here's an excerpt from the article on this subject by the Heritage Foundation:

Consider the dangerous delays in coronavirus testing. Research firms in both Germany and Japan quickly developed diagnostic testing for the new virus, and South Korea was soon testing large numbers of patients quickly. By comparison, the American performance was subpar.

On Feb. 5, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention deployed the first diagnostic test, which proved to be faulty, and had to develop and deploy another one. At the same time, public health authorities were restricted to using the CDC test.

Writing in the libertarian Reason magazine, Ron Bailey reports, “The CDC insistence on a top-down centralized testing regime greatly slowed down the process of disease detection as the infection was accelerating.”

Meanwhile, the Food and Drug Administration, which gives approval for diagnostic tests, initially prevented academic and commercial labs from developing their own tests. For example, a research team at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, a national center for clinical innovation in health care, was denied access to the CDC testing kit because it wasn’t a “public health” lab. It didn’t fit into the right bureaucratic box.

If you're upset about America's delay in large-scale testing for COVID-19, you should be upset at the FDA and the CDC, especially at the FDA, not at President. Here's an excerpt from the article on this subject by the Heritage Foundation:

Consider the dangerous delays in coronavirus testing. Research firms in both Germany and Japan quickly developed diagnostic testing for the new virus, and South Korea was soon testing large numbers of patients quickly. By comparison, the American performance was subpar.

On Feb. 5, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention deployed the first diagnostic test, which proved to be faulty, and had to develop and deploy another one. At the same time, public health authorities were restricted to using the CDC test.

Writing in the libertarian Reason magazine, Ron Bailey reports, “The CDC insistence on a top-down centralized testing regime greatly slowed down the process of disease detection as the infection was accelerating.”

Meanwhile, the Food and Drug Administration, which gives approval for diagnostic tests, initially prevented academic and commercial labs from developing their own tests. For example, a research team at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, a national center for clinical innovation in health care, was denied access to the CDC testing kit because it wasn’t a “public health” lab. It didn’t fit into the right bureaucratic box.

Trust the Trump.......this country is so lucky that Trump beat the clinton crime family......with their decades long sucking up of Chinese money, who knows what hilary would have done to spread more fear, panic and hysteria hear.......remember, she's the one who created the immigration nightmare in Europe when she decided to take out qadafi........

I hope this wakes people up to the problem with our government--bureaucracies. While I love most of what Trump has done for our country, I am disappointed that he did nothing to the bureaucracies. Once he got into the White House, he should have eliminated over half of them, and greatly reduced the power of all the others. There is a reason our founders gave the power to create laws, taxation, and penalties to the US Congress.

How did Trump's decision to leave unfilled hundreds of CDC positions contribute to his failure to protect America?

Trump Admin Policies Leave 700 CDC Jobs Vacant

"Yet the Washington Post reports that the CDC has nearly 700 vacant positions waiting to be filled, a backlog largely due to the president's executive order instituting a hiring freeze and a department-wide limitation on hiring that replaced the formal freeze once it was lifted."

1585596215489.png

I hope this wakes people up to the problem with our government--bureaucracies. While I love most of what Trump has done for our country, I am disappointed that he did nothing to the bureaucracies. Once he got into the White House, he should have eliminated over half of them, and greatly reduced the power of all the others. There is a reason our founders gave the power to create laws, taxation, and penalties to the US Congress.
Should Trump have disbanded the CDC instead of neglecting to fill hundreds of positions?

Trump Admin Policies Leave 700 CDC Jobs Vacant

"Similar to the Environmental Protection Agency's numbers, the CDC's frozen jobs were heavily tilted toward scientists and medical experts (26% of positions) and policy experts (19%).

"The freeze prevented the CDC from hiring advanced staff such as microbiologists, chemists, economists, statisticians, and epidemiologists.

"These are not the stereotypical 'bureaucrats' of conservative folklore -- they are folks who might very well save your life, only you'll never know it

"The CDC studies how to protect Americans from a variety of public health threats -- viral outbreaks like Zika & ebola, environmental toxins like lead, chronic diseases like asthma, chemical weapon attacks, and much, much more.

"Putting aside the policies preventing hiring and recruitment, the CDC's research is imperiled by the Trump administration's budget.

"The Department of Health and Human Services, which manages the CDC, has a proposed $15 billion cut for the next fiscal year, or 18 percent of its total budget."

A great article about this just came out at Powerlineblog.....

At Center of the American Experiment’s web site, economist John Phelan offers a textbook example from our state of Minnesota. Minnesota’s governor has ordered a draconian shutdown that is devastating the state’s economy and will bankrupt thousands of small businesses. Why? As elsewhere, to “flatten the curve.” The concern is that Minnesota doesn’t have enough hospital beds and, especially, enough ICU beds to accommodate COVID-19 patients who will need them during the height of the epidemic. That is the fundamental reason why millions of Minnesotans have been ordered to stay home, at great cost.

But why is the state so short of hospital beds? John Phelan explains. (Forgive the long quote, but the point is vitally important. Links are omitted.)

In 1984, Minnesota enacted a hospital construction moratorium. This prohibits the building of new hospitals as well as “any erection, building, alteration, reconstruction, modernization, improvement, extension, lease or other acquisition by or on behalf of a hospital that increases bed capacity of a hospital.” Whenever hospitals or provider groups propose an exception to the moratorium, the Minnesota Legislature requires the Department of Health to conduct a “public interest review.”
t is incredible to note that, as with [Certificate of Need] laws, the purpose of this system is to make it harder to provide hospital beds in Minnesota. [Researcher Patrick] Moran says: “Policymakers hoped that the moratorium would be more effective than CON in reducing the growth of hospital beds.”
They would appear to have been successful. In the twenty years from 1984 through 2004, 16 exceptions were granted permitting just 94 additional licensed beds. As the chart below shows, between 1996 and 2016, the number of licensed beds in Minnesota actually fell by 921 while the population increased by 81,000. …

Who knew the “chaos” president wouldn’t be very good at organizing a response or something?

I mean, if the national crisis centered around a leaky roof at a golf clubhouse, I’m sure he’d know what to do.

Who knew the “chaos” president wouldn’t be very good at organizing a response or something?

I mean, if the national crisis centered around a leaky roof at a golf clubhouse, I’m sure he’d know what to do.

You really are stupid....Trump has been incredible in this......shutting down travel with China.....the key.....and you morons called him a racist and xenophobe for doing it. Now he is getting the supplies, sending hospital ships.....and if it wasn't for the Trump boom in the economy, we would be way worse off than we are today....that cushion helped, and his leadership when things get moving again will take us back to economic stability........

You guys are insane and should never have power....

You really are stupid....Trump has been incredible in this......shutting down travel with China.....the key.....and you morons called him a racist and xenophobe for doing it. Now he is getting the supplies, sending hospital ships.....and if it wasn't for the Trump boom in the economy, we would be way worse off than we are today....that cushion helped, and his leadership when things get moving again will take us back to economic stability........

Trump went from “totally under control” to 100,000 deaths would be fantastic in a few weeks.

Pull your head out and actually look at what he’s saying and doing.

Trump went from “totally under control” to 100,000 deaths would be fantastic in a few weeks.

I am, you aren't.......ask Gov. Cuomo, who praised Trump and Gov. Newsom who also praised Trump....you doofus......

I am, you aren't.......ask Gov. Cuomo, who praised Trump and Gov. Newsom who also praised Trump....you doofus......

They had to, Trump himself said he will not talk to anyone that does not kiss his ass

Trump tried to downplay this for months. Told everyone is was no big deal. Ridiculed people who were concerned about it. Did you forget?

Now we should praise him if this is only the worst pandemic to hit us in the last 100 years.

Are you trying to rewrite history? Did you forget?

I don't mean to drift off the subject too much, but I just came from our local news site, and learned that J&J has a vaccine for the virus, and they are hoping to start it in humans by September. There is also another company that's already started human experimentation with their vaccine.

Forum List

Back