Feast of Eid

I’m not Jewish but I’ve celebrated a Seder.

I can’t fathom any reason not to show a bit of courtesy to some Muslims. The handful I’ve known fairly well have all been great people. Two of the young women (sisters in fact) happen to be stunning. Very pretty, polite, intelligent, sweet and sociable.

Unk. just know “you done good.” Hope the food was tasty.

If they are fully melted into the pot already then there is no reason to promote muslim differences

But I suspect the teacher wants a smorgasbord of differences that undermines American culture
You are off the scale. We know that most teachers are giving infants instruction in bumming and cock sucking techniques. Handing out a few fig rolls is a lot less harmful.

I’m not Jewish but I’ve celebrated a Seder.

I can’t fathom any reason not to show a bit of courtesy to some Muslims. The handful I’ve known fairly well have all been great people. Two of the young women (sisters in fact) happen to be stunning. Very pretty, polite, intelligent, sweet and sociable.

Unk. just know “you done good.” Hope the food was tasty.
I dont think the only choice is disrespect or pandering

What our resident teacher did was pander

I dont think Americans have to be herded to a buffet table and told to “Try it, you’ll like it” even if they are children under the influence of a teacher with a political agenda

Most cities have foreign cuisine for those who are curious
You really don't get it do ya. Are you looking to be the Torquemada of your version of American culture? If you haven't read How to Win Friends and Influence People you should. If you have read it you might want to reread it, you don't make people feel welcome and included by alienating them.

If they are fully melted into the pot already then there is no reason to promote muslim differences

But I suspect the teacher wants a smorgasbord of differences that undermines American culture

You suspect wrong, as usual.

A few of my classes have one or two Muslim students in them, so we had a little mini Feast of Eid in one class today. I tried my hand at preparing a few traditional dishes (and a few store-bought ones). I think the students appreciated a little recognition (in most classes they are very much in the minority), and the other students got to try some foods they'd never had before.
The Saudi embassy used to have a cultural program. They would come to your school with films and food.

I dont think the only choice is disrespect or pandering

What our resident teacher did was pander
I was only addressing unk.‘s OP. I noticed that it was immediately greeted with predictions about how conservatives would denigrate it. I happen not to. I believe that some cultural sharing (especially on a level like breaking bread together) is a generally good thing.

I wasn’t suggesting that it’s an “either or” dichotomy between pandering and respect. Few things in life translate into simple dichotomies.

You really don't get it do ya. Are you looking to be the Torquemada of your version of American culture? If you haven't read How to Win Friends and Influence People you should. If you have read it you might want to reread it, you don't make people feel welcome and included by alienating them.
Not pandering to them is not the same thing that you suggest

We dont have to be a zig saw puzzle to make America work

Someone mentioned Italians

The best parts of their culture were accepted naturally and freely rather than through cultural acceptance workshops with mandatory attendance

Actually, great Americans have no problem with the tremendous Muslim religion.

President Trump used to roast an iftar every year for all of his muslim friends at the WH.

BTW, did you see where the Trumpster endorsed devout muslim physician Mehmet Oz for the US Senate? Oz gave Trump a clean bill of health back in 2016 and the Trumpster is appreciative and a classy fellow.

Oz is Greek Orthodox...

I
I was only addressing unk.‘s OP. I noticed that it was immediately greeted with predictions about how conservatives would denigrate it. I happen not to. I believe that some cultural sharing (especially on a level like breaking bread together) is a generally good thing.

I wasn’t suggesting that it’s an “either or” dichotomy between pandering and respect. Few things in life translate into simple dichotomies.
I understand

But this thread is an attempt to support what Unk did

So I dont think its wrong to present an alternate point of view also

Bringing some food for my students once in a while is not "religious instruction."

It would be if you brought it for recognition of a Christian holiday or feast.

In California they moved "spring break" so that it wouldn't coincide with Easter.

I have no problem with recognizing the Muslim holiday - just pointing up the hypocrisy given the extreme hostility toward Christianity.

Many muslims here in the U.S. have adopted certain aspects of American customs and culture after they became U.S, citizens.
Of course they still fulfill the Islamic obligations such as Ramadan and Eid.
But a lot muslims participate in 4th of July celebrations and have no problem having Thanksgiving Day dinner with their American friends when invited to their homes.

Not pandering to them is not the same thing that you suggest

We dont have to be a zig saw puzzle to make America work

Someone mentioned Italians

The best parts of their culture were accepted naturally and freely rather than through cultural acceptance workshops with mandatory attendance
And in some cases that took two or three generations, same with the Irish and Asians. Assimilation doesn't happen overnight and if forced then that typically results in a backlash. He was not pandering, your assessment to the contrary is parochial at best.

I

I understand

But this thread is an attempt to support what Unk did

So I dont think its wrong to present an alternate point of view also
Again. That’s not what I was saying. I just happen to be amongst those who don’t have a problem with it — on most levels.

A few of my classes have one or two Muslim students in them, so we had a little mini Feast of Eid in one class today. I tried my hand at preparing a few traditional dishes (and a few store-bought ones). I think the students appreciated a little recognition (in most classes they are very much in the minority), and the other students got to try some foods they'd never had before.

My wife's brother-in-law is a Bangladeshi Muslim. I look forward to Eid's end and the buffet of tandoori chicken prepared for him by my mother-in-law which means tons of leftovers for everyone. Her lemon raisin rice is to die for and her aloo roti is heaven. That being said, and while kids should get a taste of round the world cuisine from time to time, I wonder if you serve your students similarly by the Christian calendar? Why treat 'minority' students any differently?

Forum List

Back