Feast of Eid

I disagree

America is one of if not the most accepting nations on earth

It would be better for everyone if tje left acknowledged that fact

The political left often accuses the political right of singling out minority Americans in one way or another, for some kind of persecution. And yet, the political left does nothing but single out minorities and draw endless attention to how they are different from everyone else. If I was a Muslim school student I'd want to be treated like any other American kid, not like some kind of oddity or exhibit in a museum. Contrary to popular belief all minorities of a given religion, race or culture do not share a hive mind. Frankly, I suspect the OP did this for himself. But . . . I could be wrong.

........ I wonder if you serve your students similarly by the Christian calendar? ....

Of course. My wife baked Christmas cookies for my classes before Christmas break, and I brought some left over osechi ryori when we returned to school after New Year's.

A few of my classes have one or two Muslim students in them, so we had a little mini Feast of Eid in one class today. I tried my hand at preparing a few traditional dishes (and a few store-bought ones). I think the students appreciated a little recognition (in most classes they are very much in the minority), and the other students got to try some foods they'd never had before.

What did you do for Easter and Passover?

What did you do for Easter and Passover?
Easter always falls during a school break week, and it would be tough to bring a fully cooked ham or turkey to school anyway. This year two of my Muslim students asked me what Easter is about so I told them (without proselytizing and emphasizing that different people have different beliefs). They were very respectful and interested to learn about it. Maybe a one minute conversation.

In middle school, my daughter made some Eid food for just such a school event. She was friends with one of the only Muslim girls in the school. She said that her friend tasted her dish, some combination of corn and curry, apparently, and said, "It's just like my mother and grandmother make!" while winking at my daughter. The teacher, of course, fell for it completely.

While helping my daughter research the topic, we found a picture that I wish I could find again. It was a family in a compact care with a goat squeezed in between two children in the backseat. The goat appeared to have a smile, as animals sometimes do, as if he were happy to be on a road trip with his humans. Little did he know that he was to be the guest of honor . . .

I have no problem with public schools celebrating the religions of the world, as long as no religion is excluded. If there is one religion that is just too unpopular for the school to mention, then don't talk about any of them except for their historical significance. Don't wanna talk about

Lupercalia​

Celebration of bodily autonomy, sexual liberation, and reproduction of The Satanic Temple?

No Easter Bunny for you!

Many muslims here in the U.S. have adopted certain aspects of American customs and culture after they became U.S, citizens.
Of course they still fulfill the Islamic obligations such as Ramadan and Eid.
But a lot muslims participate in 4th of July celebrations and have no problem having Thanksgiving Day dinner with their American friends when invited to their homes.

The way I see it is: they're Americans. Right? So why would they not participate in the 4th of July and Thanksgiving? Am I missing something?

In middle school, my daughter made some Eid food for just such a school event. She was friends with one of the only Muslim girls in the school. She said that her friend tasted her dish, some combination of corn and curry, apparently, and said, "It's just like my mother and grandmother make!" while winking at my daughter. The teacher, of course, fell for it completely.

While helping my daughter research the topic, we found a picture that I wish I could find again. It was a family in a compact care with a goat squeezed in between two children in the backseat. The goat appeared to have a smile, as animals sometimes do, as if he were happy to be on a road trip with his humans. Little did he know that he was to be the guest of honor . . .

I have no problem with public schools celebrating the religions of the world, as long as no religion is excluded. If there is one religion that is just too unpopular for the school to mention, then don't talk about any of them except for their historical significance. Don't wanna talk about

Lupercalia​

Celebration of bodily autonomy, sexual liberation, and reproduction of The Satanic Temple?

No Easter Bunny for you!

Well. I teach music and we are often on the frontline for this stuff so I am fairly well-versed on the law. Schools get into trouble when we "celebrate" holidays unattached to any curricular content. I have straight up had children tell me "You can't say 'God' in school" when we sing, say, Spirituals....you cannot teach any American music without teaching Spirituals. To which I say "Oops well we just did". I'm well-covered (that is, am not afoul of the law) for two reasons: first, because I'm always covering curriculum; second, because we learn all manner of music from many cultures. You almost cannot do any Indigenous music without religious content, for example.

Music programs are often on the front line because what we do is public performance. So if we sing "Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho" or "Hava Nagila" at a concert--there it is. While meanwhile in schools all kinds of non-curricular recognitions of holidays are often going on.

The way I see it is: they're Americans. Right? So why would they not participate in the 4th of July and Thanksgiving? Am I missing something?
Not all Americans celebrate the 4th of July so it's no big deal if they don't.
Many muslims view Thanksgiving as a Christian holiday, plus the food isn't very appealing to them.

eidmubaraklove.jpg

Don't be silly. I am as conservative as it gets and I love Middle Eastern food and treasured the time I spent learning about Muslim culture. Ditto with the Jewish people I've known. And I was married to an American of Japanese descent whose Issei and Nissei parents kept us happily surrounded by Japanese culture.

Are right wingers supposed to eschew everything that is not American culture, in your opinion? Don't you dare eat Italian food. Ditto anything Mexican. I even like Ethiopian food.
Do most Americans know what Italian and Mexican food look and taste like?

I mean a lot of them think Taco Bell is authentic while not knowing it is garbage and is insulting to true Mexican Food and let me not start on Italian dishes and how Americans make their dishes more like the Filipino way than the Italian way…

A few of my classes have one or two Muslim students in them, so we had a little mini Feast of Eid in one class today. I tried my hand at preparing a few traditional dishes (and a few store-bought ones). I think the students appreciated a little recognition (in most classes they are very much in the minority), and the other students got to try some foods they'd never had before.
I am glad you are doing this but like another poster wrote be careful because in today society you have so many that will make a fuss over this…

If they are fully melted into the pot already then there is no reason to promote muslim differences

But I suspect the teacher wants a smorgasbord of differences that undermines American culture
What is truly American culture?

Yesterday I was in Borene, Texas and it is heavily German influenced because of the German Colony that was setup here…

We have heavy Mexican culture throughout Texas along with a heavy Vietnamese and Muslim culture in Houston, so explain to me what is American Culture and please note I am former Catholic from a mother that was Scottish/Norwegian/German and a father that was French, so tell me does my culture reflects yours and if not then tell me what is truly American culture?

Is it Californian?

Is it West Coast?

Is it Western?

Is it Midwest?

Is it Ohio Valley or Southern of New England?

Get my drift?

I’m not Jewish but I’ve celebrated a Seder.

I can’t fathom any reason not to show a bit of courtesy to some Muslims. The handful I’ve known fairly well have all been great people. Two of the young women (sisters in fact) happen to be stunning. Very pretty, polite, intelligent, sweet and sociable.

Unk. just know “you done good.” Hope the food was tasty.
Friday I took a man to his religious prayer and he was Muslim and he was from Pakistan and all he could do is say thank you and bless me…

Do we have evil in all societies of life?

Yes and why?

Ignorance and what the OP was doing was showing his students what their fellow students eat during a religious time for them.

Now the reaction from some so far in this thread is why people tend to walk a fine line while on eggshells but Unkotare in my opinion is being a teacher first which I applaud…

Forum List

Back