🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Federal appeals court rules religious businesses can refuse same-sex weddings

And gay couples will continue to marry. This will simply open up new business for others.

As it should be, it is wrong to force complains to do these things.

Considering Libertarians are fine with any sort of discrimination and that creates scenarios like segregation and inequality. Everything from lunch counters to banks redlining is just A-OK in a Libertarian paradise.

Libertarians are not "fine" with discrimination. They just don't support all the government created laws to address it.

They're fine with it in that government shouldn't be involved even though that's the most effective way of combating discrimination.

Whether it's the most effective way of fighting discrimination is an open question. Regardless, we do reject 'ends-justifies-the-means'. Losing the right to decide who we associate with is far worse than the discrimination these laws attempt to thwart.

It's been effective with desegregating the South. "Letting the markets' decide" is a nice way of saying that the racists in the rural South could band together and promote discrimination and it turned out "the markets" were just fine with it until Liberal protesters came in followed by the federal government.

Remember you Lefties: Discrimination happens all the time that you don't give a fuck about. The Asian community is notorious for discriminating in both hiring and housing renting. And what about black businesses that hire blacks. Where are the Lefties on those topics? Nowhere.
That's the thing. They pretend this is about equal rights, that what they want is for businesses to treat everyone equally. But that's not what these laws mandate. They merely target a few types of discrimination that are currently unpopular with the government (and its lobbyists). Everything else is fair game.
the truly Religious should be not for the profit of lucre, but for the profit of our immortal souls.
Piss off, troll.

The best solution is to allow every business to decide whom they wish to serve or not serve at their own discretion. The free market will decide if these business practices will be rewarded or rebuked. I would never give a business my money that enacted such polices or my run business in such a fashion, but you should be able to.
You can already do that on private property. You cannot do that in Public Accommodation.

Public accommodation laws are bullshit that violate my property, individual, and, business rights. They should be scrapped.

The best solution is to allow every business to decide whom they wish to serve or not serve at their own discretion. The free market will decide if these business practices will be rewarded or rebuked. I would never give a business my money that enacted such polices or my run business in such a fashion, but you should be able to.
You can already do that on private property. You cannot do that in Public Accommodation.

Except the federal court just ruled otherwise
American Exceptionalism instead of Commerce, well regulated and consistent?

Public accommodation laws are bullshit that violate my property, individual, and, business rights. They should be scrapped.
Your property is not private in public accommodation or you could run your business from home.

A constitutional right...freedom of religion

"Letting the markets' decide" is a nice way of saying that the racists in the rural South could band together and promote discrimination and it turned out "the markets" were just fine with it until Liberal protesters came in followed by the federal government.

No, "let the markets decide" is a nice way of saying "let the people decide".

They're effective is what they are.

Depends. Are you a landlord that accepts HUD?

"Letting the markets' decide" is a nice way of saying that the racists in the rural South could band together and promote discrimination and it turned out "the markets" were just fine with it until Liberal protesters came in followed by the federal government.

Not if the majority of the people don't care about protecting peoples' rights like in the segregated South. I'd argue that "the markets" preferred segregation.

The fatal flaw of libertarianism is the assumption that 'the markets' will always do the right thing. In the meantime our environment is going down the tubes, it took government intervention to overcome segregated societies and 'the markets' aren't going to even clean up dirty restaurants if there is not at least a government agency to establish and enforce health codes.

A constitutional right...freedom of religion
the non-Religious should be able to say the same thing, in our secular and temporal Republic.

Effective at what exactly? Establishing government control of business (people)? They're not effective at ensuring equal rights. All they do is suppress the expression of unpopular opinions.

Not if the majority of the people don't care about protecting peoples' rights like in the segregated South. I'd argue that "the markets" preferred segregation.
We already have a supreme law of the land. Our Civil War could have been avoided through eminent domain since abolition was federal policy.

Well, we'd have to agree on the definition of rights. I'm adamant that everyone should equal rights under the law. Government has that responsibility to the people. But someone making you a cake isn't a right. When you inject inane crap like that, we can no longer discuss rights coherently. And government can no longer protect them equally.

Effective at what exactly? Establishing government control of business (people)? They're not effective at ensuring equal rights. All they do is suppress the expression of unpopular opinions.

What government control? Saying that your business has to do the bare minimum in not throwing people out of it for their race or religion is not exactly government control. Being a libertarian is a privilege for only those in the majority. Everyone else? Just go to the next business, the one in the dilapidated neighborhood that our local banks won't give loans to...cuz freedom.

What government control? Saying that your business has to do the bare minimum in not throwing people out of it for their race or religion is not exactly government control. Being a libertarian is a privilege for only those in the majority. Everyone else? Just go to the next business, the one in the dilapidated neighborhood that our local banks won't give loans to...cuz freedom.
they should be doing it, for the Sake of the Art.

We already have a supreme law of the land. Our Civil War could have been avoided through eminent domain since abolition was federal policy.

I don't think we're going back that far.

I don't think we're going back that far.
the point was about letting markets not the coercive use of force of the State or the Union, decide.

Forum List

Back