Ferguson Police Violating the Constitution Again

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Police in Ferguson, Mo., on Monday began telling protesters – who have been gathered for days demanding justice for the death of an unarmed teenager at the hands of police – that they were no longer allowed to stand in place for more than five seconds, but had to keep moving.

“When inquiries were made to law enforcement officers regarding which law prohibits gathering or standing for more than five seconds on public sidewalks,” the ACLU of Missouri wrote in its emergency federal court filing to block the apparent policy, “the officers indicated that they did not know and that it did not matter. The officers further indicated that they were following the orders of their supervisors, whom they refused to name.”

ACLU: First Amendment 'suspended in Ferguson' | MSNBC

They can't answer the question because it's an unlawful order which the protesters are under no obligation to follow. Every single one of them should stop right where they are. The police can't arrest them all.

“The attorney general came to court via phone and announced that there was an alternative speech zone that was being set up,” Tony Rothert, the legal director of the ACLU of Missouri, told msnbc. That satisfied the judge, who agreed it was a close call but denied the ACLU’s request to block the policy.

Last I checked the entire country was a First Amendment zone.

And supporters of the authoritarian police state can't understand why the people don't respect the police anymore.

They can't answer the question because it's an unlawful order which the protesters are under no obligation to follow. Every single one of them should stop right where they are. The police can't arrest them all.

And supporters of the authoritarian police state can't understand why the people don't respect the police anymore.

There are city and county ordinances against obstructing traffic, blocking sidewalks, having a parade/march without a permit and disturbing the peace...not to mention arson, looting, breaking and entering, robbery, battery, illegally discharging weapons and mayhem.

So no...they can't just mob up and take over a street/block. Other people have the right to go about their business unmolested.

These people aren't protesting. They're looting and destroying..

The people marching up and down Florissant Street are doing none of those things. You view them as criminals for no other reason than they're black. You've made plenty of posts here in the last few days eluding to that view.

They are protecting and serving the people of their state...as per powers found in 10th Amendment.

SCOTUS incorporated the Bill of Rights a long time ago. The states have to abide by it just as the feds do.

I agree.

I hate "free speech zones".

Unconstitutional violations of free speech.

It seems as though the problem lies in the late part of the evening when the protesters turn into looters.

SCOTUS incorporated the Bill of Rights a long time ago. The states have to abide by it just as the feds do.
But where does it say states have to give up 10th Amendment powers? It does not. 14th Amendment applied Bill of Rights to states. Gideon ruling reinforced this. People are supposed to be off streets at night due to state of emergency.

But where does it say states have to give up 10th Amendment powers? It does not. 14th Amendment applied Bill of Rights to states. Gideon ruling reinforced this. People are supposed to be off streets at night due to state of emergency.

The First Amendment comes before the Tenth and if you read the article you'll see that they aren't making them leave the street.

Them ACLU lawyers are going to get tired trying to walk and talk to the daytime protesters, nighttime looters.

Forum List

Back