First road closure under Shutnado

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Obama ordered them to make it as hard as possible, and they are following orders with enthusiasm.

"It’s almost like they are pushing to see how far they can push before the American people say enough is enough,” said Ed Mitchell, the mayor of Blount County, Tenn. “We were founded on a declaration of independence. And they are about to push the people to the line again.” Nearly a third of Blount County is inside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. So when the federal government shut down the park, it also shut down one of the area’s chief sources of revenue.
The National Park Service also closed the Foothills Parkway, a major thoroughfare in the county. The closure came without warning and left the local school district scrambling to get children back to their homes.
The children live in the eastern Tennessee community of Top of the World – serviced by School Bus 49. Normally, the bus travels along the Foothills Parkway. Other roads leading to the isolated mountain community are impassible by bus.

'All about power and leverage' -- feds shut down major roadway, block access to graveyard | Fox News

Don't worry [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION], it is a Photshop closure.

Obama is a dirtbag

Yeah, but what concerns me isn't the people at the top, it's the people doing the actual work. Why isn't there any push-back from the rank and file bureaucrats doing the work of the shutdown? Where are the refusals to put up barricades or kick people out of their homes or even just the dragging of feet and excuses of lack of resources and prioritization?

I guess a federal job and bennies trumps doing the right thing.

Obama is a dirtbag

Yeah, but what concerns me isn't the people at the top, it's the people doing the actual work. Why isn't there any push-back from the rank and file bureaucrats doing the work of the shutdown? Where are the refusals to put up barricades or kick people out of their homes or even just the dragging of feet and excuses of lack of resources and prioritization?

Exactly. I've been wondering the same thing.

Obama is a dirtbag

They will say they were just "following orders"

Obama ordered them to make it as hard as possible, and they are following orders with enthusiasm.

"It’s almost like they are pushing to see how far they can push before the American people say enough is enough,” said Ed Mitchell, the mayor of Blount County, Tenn. “We were founded on a declaration of independence. And they are about to push the people to the line again.” Nearly a third of Blount County is inside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. So when the federal government shut down the park, it also shut down one of the area’s chief sources of revenue.
The National Park Service also closed the Foothills Parkway, a major thoroughfare in the county. The closure came without warning and left the local school district scrambling to get children back to their homes.
The children live in the eastern Tennessee community of Top of the World – serviced by School Bus 49. Normally, the bus travels along the Foothills Parkway. Other roads leading to the isolated mountain community are impassible by bus.

'All about power and leverage' -- feds shut down major roadway, block access to graveyard | Fox News

Don't worry [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION], it is a Photshop closure.

That sucks. I once chaired the Tourism Committee for the Blount County Chamber of Commerce.

Obama is a dirtbag

there will always be people willing to carry out the evil deeds of a government

we have already seen it repeated many times

right here in the United States

You people wanted a government shutdown, live with it. You think that you can just shut down the government and arrange it so the consequences fall only on those you don't like?

Something to think about. A number of Interstates pass through military bases. The bases own those roads, and can shut them down at will. I-5 at Fort Lewis is one example. After 17Oct13, who knows what will happen?

Obama is a dirtbag

They will say they were just "following orders"

Sure, the men with their hands actually on the barricades and cones, but no protest in leadership?

Obama is a dirtbag

Then what is your bitch with the government shutting down? It is what you wanted. You are getting it. Damned 'Conservatives', give them what they want, and they scream bloody murder.

Then what is your bitch with the government shutting down? It is what you wanted. You are getting it. Damned 'Conservatives', give them what they want, and they scream bloody murder.

who said i was bitching about the shut down

every day the feds are closed down

shows the people how little they really need a large over inflated government

btw the government is still running

a much leaner one

Like I said, the President has been playing nice so far. We should start with the FAA. Close it down, ground every aircraft in the US.

who said i was bitching about the shut down

every day the feds are closed down

shows the people how little they really need a large over inflated government

btw the government is still running

a much leaner one

Really? That is not what I am seeing in the news. Seems some of the big money boys are getting a bit antsy. Starting to put pressure on the GOP, even putting pressure on the Teabaggers. Let's see. The GOP has alienated miniorities, women, the middle class, and now, the moneyed class. After 17Oct13, if the SS checks cease, you may even have the old white male bigots screaming at you. LOL

Like I said, the President has been playing nice so far. We should start with the FAA. Close it down, ground every aircraft in the US.

Yes he should do that... maybe harass the right wing extremist trying to get to the WWII memorial

Forum List

Back