Florida GOP Wants a WAR With Disney - Attempting to Remove the Rights they've had since 1967

Let me also point out that the title of this thread is complete garbage. These are not "rights" that Disney has at all; they are PRIVILEGES, which Disney has because the state of Florida chose to give them, not because Disney is in any way entitled to them.

You think that Disney can't create a new theme park in, say, liberaltopia Maryland, just outside of liberaltopia DC? I realize that it's not as simple as tossing everything into a big box and sending it UPS. But what makes Disney unique to other companies who allegedly might pick up and move their headquarters and/or operations because of taxes, labor laws, or whatever else excuse is thrown about?

Actually they were going to build an american history theme park at one point outside DC on the Virginia side but the deal fell through after a company's VP's comment set off a chain reaction of WTF's. The Story Of The D.C.-Area Disney Park That Almost Was

Florida GOP lawmakers are seeking to punish Disney by revoking the self-governing charter they’ve had since 1967. Disney has it’s own police, fire, and building codes.

GOPers are MAD that Disney does not support the Don't Say Gay Bill. Disney is one of the LARGEST companies on the planet - this is an unwise war by the GOP, but then again...

Well...nevermind...

what's Disney going to do, move?

You think that Disney can't create a new theme park in, say, liberaltopia Maryland, just outside of liberaltopia DC? I realize that it's not as simple as tossing everything into a big box and sending it UPS. But what makes Disney unique to other companies who allegedly might pick up and move their headquarters and/or operations because of taxes, labor laws, or whatever else excuse is thrown about?
how much MORE damage to the brand due to woke behavior a majority don't want?

No, they can't. Do you know why Disney opened its resorts in southern California and Florida in the first place? It's called "weather". One does not make a profit on a huge, expensive theme park that one has to close down for six months of every year due to snow and rain. California and Florida have mild, temperate climates all year round.

Furthermore, shutting down Disneyworld, with all its decades of VERY expensive building and development and going off to build a whole new expensive theme park somewhere else, just because *sob,sob* they have to abide by the same legal strictures as every other corporation would be the stupidest business decision in the history of ever.

Bottom line, I think the state of Florida can withstand the hit a lot better than Disney can.
You make it sound like no amusement park has ever been able to exist north of the panhandle.

Six Flags Astro World
Six Flags over Texas
Schlitterbahn
great. you have 6 flags GA also - above the panhandle of Florida if you want to be a CORRECT SMARTASS.

there are amusement parks all over the world. Disney CA is above the panhandle. why can you not grasp the obvious.

now, the problem is the investment and location in orlando. you're suggesting they move it by pointing to a water park in new Braunfels, tx. clever, but cleverly stupid.

name any amusement park that packed up their park and moved it. i can name tons that have shut down, but none that moved locations.

now if they want to open a theme park in DC, feel free. i don't think the global tourist has as much interest in vacation in DC in as much as Florida and warmer weathered climates.

You make it sound like no amusement park has ever been able to exist north of the panhandle.

Of course they can. But they aren't anything like the enormous, expensive, involved enterprises that Disney theme parks are, because they can't sustain the profit margin necessary for that due to the shut downs/limited operating hours, not to mention that other places don't have the built-in levels of tourism already present. I invite you, once again, to consider why it was that Disney chose California and Florida to start with.

Also, do you have any idea how much Disney World cost to build? The original construction, back in 1972, cost approximately $331,000,000. Care to estimate how much that would be in today's dollars? And that's just what was constructed in 1972; it doesn't include all the things that have been added since then.

But sure, Florida TOTALLY needs to cower in fear of them abandoning all that, pulling up stakes, and moving. You just keep right on cuddling with your treasured notion that Disney has the whip hand in this situation.

They weren't near as retarded in '67 as they are now.....Look like they need them some oversight.
They've had at least one employee arrested for molestation every year for the last decade. You'd think that by now, people would begin keeping their kids away. I saw a post online where some guy said we should begin to refer to sexual deviants as "Disney's" and give the social media companies nightmares because they couldn't censor us all. :badgrin:

Oh are they mad because the their right to be masked groomers is being taken away awwww too bad so sad.

Florida GOP lawmakers are seeking to punish Disney by revoking the self-governing charter they’ve had since 1967. Disney has it’s own police, fire, and building codes.

GOPers are MAD that Disney does not support the Don't Say Gay Bill. Disney is one of the LARGEST companies on the planet - this is an unwise war by the GOP, but then again...

Well...nevermind...

Why should nay corporation be self governing?

Imagine if every corporation was able to set their own building codes.

I thought the left was all about NOT giving special treatment for corporations

Forum List

Back