Football Stars Make 2,150 times More Than the Average Worker

KevinWestern

Hello
Mar 8, 2012
Chicago, IL
I'm not trying to call anyone out here because I think those concerned about CEO pay have nothing but good intentions. However..

Peyton Manning - a guy who throws a leather football around for entertainment, 6 months out of the year - makes about $43 million annually. This is about 2,150 times more than the stadium worker earning $20,000/year, busting his ass up and down the stairs in the heat for minimum wage pay (and dealing with all the drunk idiots in between).

How come I’ve never heard the phrase, does “Peyton work 2,150 times harder than the hot dog guy”? Why are (some) people only upset when it is the CEO of a 900,000 employee company making that $15 million? If anything, I’d be much more ticked about the Peyton situation, given that he – again – only throws a football around for 6 months out of the year in front of a bunch of drunk people.

This thread is just an exploration into the idea of a potential double-standard here...

Last edited:
Athletes salaries are ridiculous and out of hand. It's part of why it's so damn expensive to try and take your family to see a game live.

I'm not trying to call anyone out here because I think those concerned about CEO pay have nothing but good intentions. However..

Peyton Manning - a guy who throws footballs to other guys in helmets for 6 months for entertainment purposes - makes about $43 million annually. This is about 2,150 times more than the stadium worker earning $20,000/year, busting his ass up and down the stairs in the heat for minimum wage pay.

How come I’ve never heard the phrase, does “Peyton work 2,150 times harder than the hot dog guy”? Why are (some) people only upset when it is the CEO of a 900,000 employee company making that $15 million? If anything, I’d be much more ticked about the Peyton situation, given that he – again – only throws a football around for 6 months out of the year.

This thread is just an exploration into the idea of a potential double-standard here...

Manning has some skills -How much income do his skills provide for everyone involved with professional football, particularly in the Denver area "?

Athletes salaries are ridiculous and out of hand. It's part of why it's so damn expensive to try and take your family to see a game live.

Like CEOs, athletes are being paid the market rate. As long as people pay the prices to attend the games they will continue to pay them those high salaries. Ultimately it will have to peak.

Like CEOs, athletes are being paid the market rate. As long as people pay the prices to attend the games they will continue to pay them those high salaries. Ultimately it will have to peak.

Oh I get it. Doesn't mean they "deserve it" but if they can get it in a capitalistic society, then they have every right to.

Great post kevinand let me add for the liberals.

Yep and what about movie stars?

what about big time liberal Harvey Weinstein? He apparently doesnt care about the current liberal talking point

Oh I get it. Doesn't mean they "deserve it" but if they can get it in a capitalistic society, then they have every right to.

If someone would offer you that youd turn it down? Youre full of shit. You wouldnt think twice about it.

and who decides who deserves it? How is that quantified?

Last edited:

This may be true, but why are teams willing to pay Manning this much money?

No one pays to watch the guy who cleans the toilets. But does Peyton Manning work 2,150 times harder than that guy. Of course not. And that's the real point being raised.

If someone would you that youd turn it down? Your e full of shit. You wouldnt think twice about it.

Of course I wouldn't turn it down. Did I give the impression that I would. But that doesn't change the fact that the system we've established doesn't put value on HARD work, just work that can make someone else richer. So to look down on the working poor who often work VERY, VERY hard simply because they are poor and to stereotype them as "moochers" or "lazy" isn't fair, because it isn't true.

He does deserve it, he is putting customers in the seats.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

No one pays to watch the guy who cleans the toilets. But does Peyton Manning work 2,150 times harder than that guy. Of course not. And that's the real point being raised.

no its not. You have a warped since of that. People get paid on hard work AND talent. The talent part js why peyton gets paid alot more than a ditch digger.

Anyone can dig a ditch, not everyone can qb the broncos. Again its alot harder to manage a company than to do the menial, hard working tasks.

Which is why being a manager will require a college degree and a ditch digger will not. Omg domyoh really need this explanation?

It's funny how liberals define the term "deserve". People who have a skill or talent that people are willing to pay a premium for do not deserve what they get. People who lack skill and talent and do a menial job like sack groceries that virtually anyone can do deserve a living wage for it. And yes, I sacked groceries as an unskilled laborer when I was a teenager and got paid $1.60 minimum wage. I never did that job with the intention to still be doing it 40 years later as a career. Jobs have value attached to them and it varies greatly.

He does deserve it, he is putting customers in the seats.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

Let me rephrase, he deserves it from the aspect of the value he brings to the organization. But that value has nothing to do with how hard he works. High salary does not automatically equal hard working. Just as low salary does not equal lazy.

If someone would you that youd turn it down? Your e full of shit. You wouldnt think twice about it.

Of course I wouldn't turn it down. Did I give the impression that I would. But that doesn't change the fact that the system we've established doesn't put value on HARD work, just work that can make someone else richer. So to look down on the working poor who often work VERY, VERY hard simply because they are poor and to stereotype them as "moochers" or "lazy" isn't fair, because it isn't true.

How "hard" a job is is only a small fraction in determining the worth of the job in terms of compensation.

Supply and demand. These guys are the top of the line athletic freaks. Doctors have the smarts, athletes have the muscles.

How "hard" a job is is only a small fraction in determining the worth of the job in terms of compensation.

I never once mentioned how hard a job is as being a factor. I talked about someones effort, but that has nothing to do with the difficulty of the job itself.

Why do people accept the fact that football stars are "talent" that are paid accordingly while ignore this conclusion when speaking about a CEO? Does it not take talent to run a 900,000 person organization, and wade through all the politics, navigate egos, make complex decisions about the future and where to invest in, foresee which manufacturing strategies to avoid, how to communicate to the media, etc?

Isn't it possible that CEOs are also paid in accordance to the "value" they bring to the team much like Manning?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back