Football Stars Make 2,150 times More Than the Average Worker

Athletes salaries are ridiculous and out of hand. It's part of why it's so damn expensive to try and take your family to see a game live.

I know it. How unfair?

Maybe they'll come up with the Affordable Game Act, Obamagame!!!!!!!!

Athletes salaries are ridiculous and out of hand. It's part of why it's so damn expensive to try and take your family to see a game live.

Like CEOs, athletes are being paid the market rate. As long as people pay the prices to attend the games they will continue to pay them those high salaries. Ultimately it will have to peak.

Oh I get it. Doesn't mean they "deserve it" but if they can get it in a capitalistic society, then they have every right to.

Don't you think it's an inalienable right to receive as much money as someone is willing to pay you?

Oh I get it. Doesn't mean they "deserve it" but if they can get it in a capitalistic society, then they have every right to.

He does deserve it, he is putting customers in the seats.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

Let me rephrase, he deserves it from the aspect of the value he brings to the organization. But that value has nothing to do with how hard he works. High salary does not automatically equal hard working. Just as low salary does not equal lazy.

thats true, what is your point, why are we discussing this? Its a combination of both. If peyton didnt work hard, he wouldnt be as successful

that why the min wage is a joke.youll never raise a family on those jobs, you need to work hard and find your talent and move up tom ake rwal money.

working hard is one component of it, but it helps with all the others. In order to make real money you have to be good at something and then move up.

I'm not trying to call anyone out here because I think those concerned about CEO pay have nothing but good intentions. However..

Peyton Manning - a guy who throws a leather football around for entertainment, 6 months out of the year - makes about $43 million annually. This is about 2,150 times more than the stadium worker earning $20,000/year, busting his ass up and down the stairs in the heat for minimum wage pay (and dealing with all the drunk idiots in between).

How come I’ve never heard the phrase, does “Peyton work 2,150 times harder than the hot dog guy”? Why are (some) people only upset when it is the CEO of a 900,000 employee company making that $15 million? If anything, I’d be much more ticked about the Peyton situation, given that he – again – only throws a football around for 6 months out of the year in front of a bunch of drunk people.

This thread is just an exploration into the idea of a potential double-standard here...

Personally, I think he should be taxed at 95% level and redistribute it to the stadium workers.

/sarcasm.

Then stop supporting the pimps. They only make what they do because idiots line up to pay for overpriced seats and buy retarded sports packages on cable.

I don't get the mania over watching pro sports.

This may be true, but why are teams willing to pay Manning this much money?

No one pays to watch the guy who cleans the toilets. But does Peyton Manning work 2,150 times harder than that guy. Of course not. And that's the real point being raised.

Why do people accept the fact that football stars are "talent" that are paid accordingly while ignore this conclusion when speaking about a CEO? Does it not take talent to run a 900,000 person organization, and wade through all the politics, navigate egos, make complex decisions about the future and where to invest in, foresee which manufacturing strategies to avoid, how to communicate to the media, etc?

Isn't it possible that CEOs are also paid in accordance to the "value" they bring to the team much like Manning?

I don't think anyone is advocating they make the same pay. I think it's the difference in pay that highlights that the CEO is not X% of a harder worker than the average employee. I'm fine with CEO's making every last dollar they can, but we need to recognize as a nation that we have a growing class of working poor who work their asses off and shouldn't be called "lazy" or "moochers" and should get help when they need it. If we are going to reward hard work, we should actually reward hard work, not just those who make a lot of money.

High salary does not equal hard worker.

Let me rephrase, he deserves it from the aspect of the value he brings to the organization. But that value has nothing to do with how hard he works. High salary does not automatically equal hard working. Just as low salary does not equal lazy.

Then why do some people judge CEOs only on "how hard they work" vs (the more appropriate measure of) "the value they bring to the organization"?

Again, not really a question for you and you alone to answer, just trying to get the wheels spinning.. :)

Last edited:

Then why do some people judge CEOs only on "how hard they work" vs (the more appropriate measure of) "the value they bring to the organization"?

Again, not really a question for you and you alone to answer, just trying to get the wheels spinning.. :)

I think its a matter of reframing the way we view our workforce. We can't be of the mindset that $ = the amount of effort you give. It happens on both sides of the equation.

I don't think anyone is advocating they make the same pay. I think it's the difference in pay that highlights that the CEO is not X% of a harder worker than the average employee. I'm fine with CEO's making every last dollar they can, but we need to recognize as a nation that we have a growing class of working poor who work their asses off and shouldn't be called "lazy" or "moochers" and should get help when they need it. If we are going to reward hard work, we should actually reward hard work, not just those who make a lot of money.

I agree that this isn't a bad thing to think about and consider – 100%.

However, I don’t think it’s all that productive to (in a blanket way) condemn “CEOs” for making “400x more than the average worker”. Why? Because there are a lot of well meaning, hardworking CEOs out there that do nothing but work in the best interests of the shareholders, and to include them in this witchhunt is absolutely counterproductive.

Instead of saying that ALL football stars make more than they’re worth, how about we target the guy who’s still making $10 million a year after 4 losing seasons? Doesn't that make a lot more sense?

However, I don’t think it’s all that productive to (in a blanket way) condemn “CEOs” for making “400x more than the average worker”. Why? Because there are a lot of well meaning, hardworking CEOs out there that do nothing but work in the best interests of the shareholders, and to include them in this witchhunt is absolutely counterproductive.

Instead of saying that ALL football stars make more than they’re worth, how about we target the guy who’s still making $10 million a year after 4 losing seasons? Doesn't that make a lot more sense?

Totally makes sense. Don't disagree at all. I don't like sweeping generalizations and feel like they are used way too often. They are plenty of CEO's who earn every dime they make. Just like there are plenty of poor and middle class who make less than the effort they put in.

I think its a matter of reframing the way we view our workforce. We can't be of the mindset that $ = the amount of effort you give. It happens on both sides of the equation.

I disagree.

The greater an effort you give, the more likely your differential will stand out and therefore you are more likely to get a promotion as business owners prefer those with a good work ethic in higher positions.

A CEO that is hired at enormous salaries, has earned such respect by his/her past experiences and achievements....and such are always due, in part, to their work ethic.

Effort DOES convert to dollars.....sometimes it takes time....but the two very much go together.

But I think the goal of any organization, though, is to pay its workers a salary based on the value they contribute vs "how hard they work". Right?

A guy with no computer coding education could genuinely and diligently work 70 hours a week trying to make the background of a webpage blue, but that wouldn't do anyone any good. Why not just hire the guy who can do it in 10 minutes?

I disagree.

The greater an effort you give, the more likely your differential will stand out and therefore you are more likely to get a promotion as business owners prefer those with a good work ethic in higher positions.

A CEO that is hired at enormous salaries, has earned such respect by his/her past experiences and achievements....and such are always due, in part, to their work ethic.

Effort DOES convert to dollars.....sometimes it takes time....but the two very much go together.

Yes effort does convert to dollars, but does a CEO work 2000x times harder than the average employee. I'm talking about effort, not value.

k

I disagree.

Yes effort does convert to dollars, but does a CEO work 2000x times harder than the average employee. I'm talking about effort, not value.
Exactly. Effort is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Totally makes sense. Don't disagree at all. I don't like sweeping generalizations and feel like they are used way too often. They are plenty of CEO's who earn every dime they make. Just like there are plenty of poor and middle class who make less than the effort they put in.

I think sweeping generalizations are a gigantic problem. It's a lot easier to convince someone to be on "your side" with a quick blippet about the rich, or even when it comes to some statement said by Obama that was taken out of context.

However, it's not the right way, and it creates a gigantic army of people who are misinformed and think that they know everything there is about the given subject (because they have this one blanket fact).

I say that we must strive to be consistent, which is one of the reasons that I started this thread. If you can at least understand that there's a reason Peyton makes $43 million/year and the hot dog guy makes $20,000, then I think that you can at least begin to understand that there are some good reasons why some CEOs make $15 million/year and the average employee $37,500.

Last edited:
The OP analogy is only valid if you compare Peyton Manning's salary to that of the average NFL player.

Don't agree. The OP was all about recognizing that Peyton is paid for his talents (something most can understand), just like a CEO.

Peyton is a football star just like a CEO of a fortune 500 company is a business star. Most CEOs (especially when you're talking small companies with less than 50 employees) don't make 400x the amount of the average employees. This number is skewed by a few gigantic, monstrous organizations at the top.

Noone said it was based soley on hard work. People have to find something they love and do well, then work hard and they will be successful. Some people dont have ambition, they would take an easy job like ditch digging and just stay there.

Lets look,at rappers. Not my thing, but they take chances, many fail, but ifmyou are good at it, bam yore rich. But you have to,try.

and if not try something else, but if you dont leave your comfort zone you still be diggj g ditches making mi wage.

The point is you have to do more than work hard. That is a major factor,but you havve tomhave ambition and take a risk.

Forum List

Back