Football Stars Make 2,150 times More Than the Average Worker

Most of the $$$ a player makes comes via the league that distributes the massive TV contract to all teams.
Beer is the largest revenue source for NFL media.
I gave up my seats at the Dome years ago as I was a season ticket holder for 27 years for Falcons back to when they played at Atlanta Fulton county stadium.
Pro football live sucks now. Rap music, no band, TV timeouts by the dozens. Domed stadiums with artificial shit to play on.
If cows can not eat it football has no business being played on it.
I go Saturdays to heaven on earth, Sanford Stadium. 'tween the hedges is where the real football is being played.

I'm not trying to call anyone out here because I think those concerned about CEO pay have nothing but good intentions. However..

Peyton Manning - a guy who throws a leather football around for entertainment, 6 months out of the year - makes about $43 million annually. This is about 2,150 times more than the stadium worker earning $20,000/year, busting his ass up and down the stairs in the heat for minimum wage pay (and dealing with all the drunk idiots in between).

How come I’ve never heard the phrase, does “Peyton work 2,150 times harder than the hot dog guy”? Why are (some) people only upset when it is the CEO of a 900,000 employee company making that $15 million? If anything, I’d be much more ticked about the Peyton situation, given that he – again – only throws a football around for 6 months out of the year in front of a bunch of drunk people.

This thread is just an exploration into the idea of a potential double-standard here...

There are a couple of points you are missing in your rant.

First, while we only watch Manning throw a football for 6 months of the year, he is working much of the rest of the year honing his skills.

Second, his skill set at that level is exceedingly rare. So, much like the fact that gold is far more rare than sand, his skills demand a higher price.

Third, Manning has been working on perfecting his skills for most of his life. He dedicated a huge portion of his youth and his day in college to learning and perfecting a valuable skill. I doubt the guy selling hotdogs or cleaning toilets did anything remotely close to this.

And lastly, the organization Manning works for makes huge amounts of money off of his skills.

"The Broncos have among the most loyal fans in the NFL, having sold out every home, non-strike regular season game since 1970. The team has a waiting list for season tickets of 32,000 people and a 96% renewal rate on season tickets, despite going 4-12 in 2010 and posting 8-8 records the two previous years."

The question you should be asking is not why Manning makes so much. But why the NFL itself pays no taxes.

Most of the $$$ a player makes comes via the league that distributes the massive TV contract to all teams.
I gave up my seats at the Dome years ago as I was a season ticket holder for 27 years for Falcons back to when they played at Atlanta Fulton county stadium.
Pro football live sucks now. Rap music, no band, TV timeouts by the dozens. Domed stadiums with artificial shit to play on.
I go Saturdays to heaven on earth, Sanford Stadium. 'tween the hedges is where the real football is being played.

I agree!!!!!

They can keep their pro teams and tickets. But give me a fall afternoon at Bryant-Denny Stadium, some excellent tailgating, and an exciting Bama game and I am as close to heaven as I am likely to get.

And the back pedaling has begun.

You felt the need to reply directly to me with the following statement:

This is what I am talking about, This is what you said, and This is what you were wrong about.

I just proved that both you and your heros do in fact share this line of thinking. All the other bullshit you tried to throw in there to cloud the issue doesn't change the fact that people such as yourself and your leaders look at the poor as inherently lazy. And you in fact proved that very point for me....multiple times.

Does it physically hurt to be as stoopid as you are?

When you have no intelligent response, call the other person stupid (sorry, stoopid) and run away.

I'd say that I just handed you your ass in this debate, but you did all the work for me with your own statements and links.

Good job!

You received intelligent responses and didn't know what to do with them......so this is all you get now. Don't play in traffic and do try to have a pleasant day. Remember to breathe in and out.

Oh, and I have no doubt that you handle ass, but it wasn't mine.

I agree!!!!!

They can keep their pro teams and tickets. But give me a fall afternoon at Bryant-Denny Stadium, some excellent tailgating, and an exciting Bama game and I am as close to heaven as I am likely to get.

OH NO, another one of you.
In laws from Mobile are big time Bama fans as all 3 of their kids are alum.

There is no double standard...Manning generates enough revenue to support his income.

Should the hotdog seller generate the same revenue he could get paid the same as Manning.

The NFL gets over a $Billion of tax payer money every year. That could not happen if they earned their pay.

Define earn

To Earn is to obtain (money) in return for labor or services. Not steal it from others earnings through taxes.

I agree!!!!!

OH NO, another one of you.
In laws from Mobile are big time Bama fans as all 3 of their kids are alum.

My g/f is a GA alum (not interested in football). She called us a cult because of the way random people will say "Roll Tide" to me if I have an Alabama shirt on when we are out in public. But when she went to Los Angeles last summer she saw a woman at LAX with a Crimson Tide shirt on. My darling girl walked by her and said, "Roll Tide".

BTW, the best game I have seen in years was the 2012 SEC Championship. The Dawgs and the Tide both played one helluva game.

Does it physically hurt to be as stoopid as you are?

When you have no intelligent response, call the other person stupid (sorry, stoopid) and run away.

I'd say that I just handed you your ass in this debate, but you did all the work for me with your own statements and links.

Good job!

You received intelligent responses and didn't know what to do with them......so this is all you get now. Don't play in traffic and do try to have a pleasant day. Remember to breathe in and out.

Oh, and I have no doubt that you handle ass, but it wasn't mine.

You probably shouldn't have even bothered responding if this is the best you could do. I'm not sure which part of what I said you think you defeated but it's funny to watch you pretend like you didn't just embarrass yourself thoroughly.

This notion that "the harder you work the more you should make" is so simplistic and naive that it's difficult to address with a straight face.

A person is paid their value to the company. A person who busted their ass and sacrificed to get an advanced degree or certification and landed a top job at a Fortune 100 company is worth a lot more to the company than a janitor at that company, whose skill set can be replaced within an hour. And that amount is up to the company.

It's not only stunning that so many here don't understand this glaring fact, it's disturbing.

This notion that "the harder you work the more you should make" is so simplistic and naive that it's difficult to address with a straight face.

A person is paid their value to the company. A person who busted their ass and sacrificed to get an advanced degree or certification and landed a top job at a Fortune 100 company is worth a lot more to the company than a janitor at that company, whose skill set can be replaced within an hour. And that amount is up to the company.

It's not only stunning that so many here don't understand this glaring fact, it's disturbing.

Your point?

Who said "the harder you work the more you should make" ?

Your point?

Who said "the harder you work the more you should make" ?

I made my point. You didn't understand that either?

Oh, and: http://www.usmessageboard.com/clean...-hardest-worker-get-s-the-best-pay-right.html

:rolleyes:

First, while we only watch Manning throw a football for 6 months of the year, he is working much of the rest of the year honing his skills.

Second, his skill set at that level is exceedingly rare. So, much like the fact that gold is far more rare than sand, his skills demand a higher price.

Third, Manning has been working on perfecting his skills for most of his life. He dedicated a huge portion of his youth and his day in college to learning and perfecting a valuable skill. I doubt the guy selling hotdogs or cleaning toilets did anything remotely close to this.

And lastly, the organization Manning works for makes huge amounts of money off of his skills.

"The Broncos have among the most loyal fans in the NFL, having sold out every home, non-strike regular season game since 1970. The team has a waiting list for season tickets of 32,000 people and a 96% renewal rate on season tickets, despite going 4-12 in 2010 and posting 8-8 records the two previous years."

The question you should be asking is not why Manning makes so much. But why the NFL itself pays no taxes.

Winterborn, I think you missed the point of my “rant”.

I was not arguing that Peyton makes too much. He makes exactly what the Broncos and sponsors think he’s worth. That’s a valid valuation.

The OP was in response to people getting upset over CEOs making $15 million or whatever; I was saying CEOs – just like Peyton Manning – are paid according to the perceived value they bring to the organization. I was calling out the double standard; if you’re going to complain about CEO pay, why don’t you also complain about the pay of NFL players?

I was not arguing that Peyton makes too much. He makes exactly what the Broncos and sponsors think he’s worth. That’s a valid valuation.

The OP was in response to people getting upset over CEOs making $15 million or whatever; I was saying CEOs – just like Peyton Manning – are paid according to the perceived value they bring to the organization. I was calling out the double standard; if you’re going to complain about CEO pay, why don’t you also complain about the pay of NFL players?

And it's really not comparable because Peyton is another employee, while the ceo is the boss.

Some rich guy is paying Peyton so his team does well and feeds his ego. Some ceo is collecting millions while paying his employes so little they are collecting welfare. Not comparable.

And it's really not comparable because Peyton is another employee, while the ceo is the boss.

Some rich guy is paying Peyton so his team does well and feeds his ego. Some ceo is collecting millions while paying his employes so little they are collecting welfare. Not comparable.

Are CEOs generally the "owners" of the company? I don't think so. Certainly not how it is on the Fortune 500 list. Most CEOs are hired, negotiate salary (just like Peyton) and can be let go at any point if their performance falters (just like Peyton).

And again, people seem to only think that football players could be possibly worth $15mm/year and "definitely not CEOs". Why can't a CEO be considered to have a set of highly lucrative and valuable skills (like Peyton) and are paid high because very few people in the world have the talent/skill to be successful at those jobs?

Are CEOs generally the "owners" of the company? I don't think so. Certainly not how it is on the Fortune 500 list. Most CEOs are hired, negotiate salary (just like Peyton) and can be let go at any point if their performance falters (just like Peyton).

And again, people seem to only think that football players could be possibly worth $15mm/year and "definitely not CEOs". Why can't a CEO be considered to have a set of highly lucrative and valuable skills (like Peyton) and are paid high because very few people in the world have the talent/skill to be successful at those jobs?

Peyton does not have employees. The ceo is deciding to hose the workers, Peyton makes no pay decisions. Why get made at Peyton for hosing some rich guy?

Ceo is a rigged game. Look at how much that guy got to run jc penny further into the ground.

Peyton does not have employees. The ceo is deciding to hose the workers, Peyton makes no pay decisions. Why get made at Peyton for hosing some rich guy?

Ceo is a rigged game. Look at how much that guy got to run jc penny further into the ground.

But you go after the category of CEO like they're ALL overpaid, ALL ineffective, and ALL overly enthusiastic to lay off employees. That's not the right way of going at things. Sure, you've got your bad apples who do a poor job but seem to still get paid well year after year, but Brain, there are many, many CEOs who do a fantastic job, care about their employees, and are paid in accordance with the talents and experience they bring to the table.

That irks me - the vast generalizing that "all CEOs are this" or "all CEOs are that".

If you're going to gripe, get more specific, and go after particular cases. There's no need to group the good guys with the bad guys.

Forum List

Back