Football Stars Make 2,150 times More Than the Average Worker

Of course I wouldn't turn it down. Did I give the impression that I would. But that doesn't change the fact that the system we've established doesn't put value on HARD work, just work that can make someone else richer. So to look down on the working poor who often work VERY, VERY hard simply because they are poor and to stereotype them as "moochers" or "lazy" isn't fair, because it isn't true.

How "hard" a job is is only a small fraction in determining the worth of the job in terms of compensation.

I never once mentioned how hard a job is as being a factor. I talked about someones effort, but that has nothing to do with the difficulty of the job itself.

Say what? The post I responded to says, "But that doesn't change the fact that the system we've established doesn't put value on HARD work, just work that can make someone else richer. So to look down on the working poor who often work VERY, VERY hard simply because they are poor and to stereotype them as "moochers" or "lazy" isn't fair, because it isn't true." You did indeed talk about how "hard" people work and how it is valued.

How "hard" a job is is only a small fraction in determining the worth of the job in terms of compensation.

I never once mentioned how hard a job is as being a factor. I talked about someones effort, but that has nothing to do with the difficulty of the job itself.

Say what? The post I responded to says, "But that doesn't change the fact that the system we've established doesn't put value on HARD work, just work that can make someone else richer. So to look down on the working poor who often work VERY, VERY hard simply because they are poor and to stereotype them as "moochers" or "lazy" isn't fair, because it isn't true." You did indeed talk about how "hard" people work and how it is valued.

Right and you mentioned "how 'hard' a job is", which is different than how someone works at their job.

Yes Sport Entertainers are paid too much. Next.

Are they though? Or are they paid whatever the employers deem a reasonable amount regarding the value they bring to the organization?

No doubt do I think it's ridiculous a baseball player makes $X, however more or less this is all driven by US - the consumers. If Peyton didn't provide $18 million/year worth of value to the Denver Broncos, he wouldn't be paid $18 million/year.

Are they though? Or are they paid whatever the employers deem a reasonable amount regarding the value they bring to the organization?

No doubt do I think it's ridiculous a baseball player makes $X, however more or less this is all driven by US - the consumers. If Peyton didn't provide $18 million/year worth of value to the Denver Broncos, he wouldn't be paid $18 million/year.

Yup.

Yes and one doesnt exclude the other. They are paid what someone thinks they should and they are over paid

Ahh I get it. They are paid that therefore they deserve that. What an awesome logic that is. I mean, I was over here thinking and shit but why go through that shit.

It is therefore it is

Yes and one doesnt exclude the other. They are paid what someone thinks they should and they are over paid

Ahh I get it. They are paid that therefore they deserve that. What an awesome logic that is. I mean, I was over here thinking and shit but why go through that shit.

It is therefore it is

What people are paid has nothing at all to do with what they 'deserve'. ie it's not a moral evaluation. It's just a reflection of what their labor is worth to those paying for it.

Just to try and throw a monkey wrench into some of the discussion :

Can you really discuss what a player is 'worth' when operating under a salary cap? Manning might be worth $50 million a year to Denver, but they can't pay him that much because of cap issues.

I think MLB would be a better comparison; don't they work without a cap? ;)

The Denver Broncos aren't going to dish out any more money than they think it takes to get Peyton. Why would they? Yes, they might dish out too much, but this isn't intentional.

It is therefore it is

Can you define what you mean by "deserve"? Peyton is born with amazing talent, works his whole life and some team feels like he'll bring the organization $18 million of value annually, so they pay him that. By most definitions I'd say he's deserving of that fee. He didn't force them to pay him that money, nor did he cut corners, etc (ie he's the real deal).

What part of this do you disagree with?

Last edited:

It is therefore it is

What people are paid has nothing at all to do with what they 'deserve'. ie it's not a moral evaluation. It's just a reflection of what their labor is worth to those paying for it.

Did you feel the need to repeat what I was just mocking for some reason?

Can you really discuss what a player is 'worth' when operating under a salary cap? Manning might be worth $50 million a year to Denver, but they can't pay him that much because of cap issues.

It's an interesting point, but not sure if it's relevant really to the conversation.

If anything, Peyton's pay would increase, illustrating the point of the OP to an even greater degree. In other words, the OP would read "Petyon Manning pulls in $60 million annually and that is 3,000 more money than the average worker makes, etc....".

There's a salary cap in place so that one (rich) team doesn't become too powerful, right?

Last edited:

:lol: Wow that is a monkey wrench :lol:

It's an interesting point, but not sure if it's relevant really to the conversation.

If anything, Peyton's pay would increase, illustrating the point of the OP to an even greater degree. In other words, the OP would read "Petyon Manning pulls in $60 million annually and that is 3,000 more, etc....".

There's a salary cap in place so that one (rich) team doesn't become too powerful, right?

It just makes the Manning analogy far from ideal. We don't know what teams might think he is worth because of the salary cap.
It may also say something about the owners/CEOs of the teams. :lol:

If anything, Peyton's pay would increase, illustrating the point of the OP to an even greater degree. In other words, the OP would read "Petyon Manning pulls in $60 million annually and that is 3,000 more, etc....".

It just makes the Manning analogy far from ideal. We don't know what teams might think he is worth because of the salary cap.
It may also say something about the owners/CEOs of the teams. :lol:

Definitely, but I think it would only affect the root point of the OP if the salary cap was causing Peyton's salary to be artificially high (and without it he'd actually be making like $50,000 /yr).

I'm positive that without a cap Peyton's salary would be even more than $18 million. It's a salary "cap" vs a salary "minimum"

The NFL has been for ages wise enough to have a salary cap, and to say they pay too much without noting the excesses in baseball is misguided. The average football player makes more than $1 million less per year than the players in MLB.

Also, there would be no great entertainment without large sums of money to drive athletes to develop the utmost of talent and sacrifice their bodies, which often undergo serious disabilities if they hang around long enough. You get what you pay for.

How Much Money Does an NFL Player Make a Year? | Chron.com

Bloomberg Businessweek says the average salary of an NFL player in 2011 was $1.9 million.

The average major league salary increased 2.7 percent this year to nearly $3.1 million, the largest rise since 2008.

Major League Baseball average salary increases to $3.1 million - ESPN

Athletes salaries are ridiculous and out of hand. It's part of why it's so damn expensive to try and take your family to see a game live.

Like CEOs, athletes are being paid the market rate. As long as people pay the prices to attend the games they will continue to pay them those high salaries. Ultimately it will have to peak.

Oh I get it. Doesn't mean they "deserve it" but if they can get it in a capitalistic society, then they have every right to.

But CEO's don't?

Lets not forget our soldiers, who put their lives on the line for little more than 20 grand a year. How does this not piss you off folks?

I'm not trying to call anyone out here because I think those concerned about CEO pay have nothing but good intentions. However..

Peyton Manning - a guy who throws a leather football around for entertainment, 6 months out of the year - makes about $43 million annually. This is about 2,150 times more than the stadium worker earning $20,000/year, busting his ass up and down the stairs in the heat for minimum wage pay (and dealing with all the drunk idiots in between).

How come I’ve never heard the phrase, does “Peyton work 2,150 times harder than the hot dog guy”? Why are (some) people only upset when it is the CEO of a 900,000 employee company making that $15 million? If anything, I’d be much more ticked about the Peyton situation, given that he – again – only throws a football around for 6 months out of the year in front of a bunch of drunk people.

This thread is just an exploration into the idea of a potential double-standard here...
But Peyton Manning is paid by Broncos CEO Pat Bowlen who also pays the hot dog vendor. Also, hot dog vendors don't appear to have a widespread medical emergency developing in the form of concussions and brain damage like football players who have 260-lb gorillas trying to hit them as hard as possible, so to answer your questions, yes, Peyton Manning works at least 2,000 times harder than a hot dog vendor but that doesn't mean that the hot dog vendor doesn't work hard and shouldn't be paid a hell of a lot more considering that the advertising, marketing, merchandising, hot dog sales, ticket sales, etc., all pay up to team owner and CEO Pat Bowlen, a billionaire.
#937 Patrick Bowlen & family - Forbes.com

Forum List

Back