Ford pursuing patent on tech for cars to report other cars for speeding

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

A patent application from the automaker titled “Systems and Methods for Detecting Speeding Violations” was published by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Jul. 18 2024, and was originally filed by Ford Jan. 12, 2023.

In the application, Ford discusses using cars to monitor each other’s speeds. If one car detects that a nearby vehicle is being driven above the posted limit, it could use onboard cameras to photograph that vehicle. A report containing both speed data and images of the targeted vehicle could then be sent directly to a police car or roadside monitoring units via an Internet connection, according to Ford.

What do you call it when private enterprise and government get together to create public policy?

“One Nation, under surveillance…”

I wonder what Ford's cut of the revenue stream will be?

So all the extra police on the streets are going to come in with lights blazing because some computer said someone was speeding somewhere?......Yeah right.......Other cars already have these devices that do that. They are called Karens. ;)

Last edited:
I imagine that the police would get a constant supply of pics of other cops speeding.

If one car detects that a nearby vehicle is being driven above the posted limit, it could use onboard cameras to photograph that vehicle. A report containing both speed data and images of the targeted vehicle could then be sent directly to a police car or roadside monitoring units via an Internet connection, according to Ford.

And why should I pay an extra thousand for my car so that it can report on other cars?

I've predicted this for years. I have said all along the the true reason for the computerization of cars was to snitch on drivers. Just look at the little gizmos under your dash where they plug in to get engine data on cars made after 2000--- your insurance company sends you a doodad and every hard brake you do (even for legit reasons like to avoid running a yellow light too quickly changing red) is recorded then used to justify higher insurance.

Except, the way I think it will work in the EV world is that transponders are mounted along the highway, this way, your car always knows the posted speed limit and your car will literally not let you accelerate above that speed!

The corollary to this is that the other way the government will use this against you is if you have an outstanding debt: late child support, unpaid taxes, traffic violation, too many posts supporting Trump on Gab, etc., whatever the reason, like your electric meter, they will just send out a command to disable your car so you can't drive! Perhaps even lock you in your own car and have the car drive you to the police station.

Welcome to the New Progressive America. It is all about control of how you think, act, and live. A well-controlled, compliant worker is a good little tax payer.

Might as well go all the way and install a breathalyzer as part of the ignition.

Over the limit? Car no start. Someone else blowing in the tube gets the DUI as it is all captured by the dashboard camera. ;)

And why should I pay an extra thousand for my car so that it can report on other cars?

I've predicted this for years. I have said all along the the true reason for the computerization of cars was to snitch on drivers. Just look at the little gizmos under your dash where they plug in to get engine data on cars made after 2000--- your insurance company sends you a doodad and every hard brake you do (even for legit reasons like to avoid running a yellow light too quickly changing red) is recorded then used to justify higher insurance.

Except, the way I think it will work in the EV world is that transponders are mounted along the highway, this way, your car always knows the posted speed limit and your car will literally not let you accelerate above that speed!

Volvo already has that in their ICE cars. They have two key fobs. You can give your kid the monitored one and it won't exceed the speed limit.

The corollary to this is that the other way the government will use this against you is if you have an outstanding debt: late child support, unpaid taxes, traffic violation, too many posts supporting Trump on Gab, etc., whatever the reason, like your electric meter, they will just send out a command to disable your car so you can't drive! Perhaps even lock you in your own car and have the car drive you to the police station.

Welcome to the New Progressive America. It is all about control of how you think, act, and live. A well-controlled, compliant worker is a good little tax payer.

What do you think about tracking pregnant women?

I would love this. Unfortunately about 85% of my driving is on the highway, and the drivers blowing by me at 15-20 mph over the speed limit, weaving through traffic causing serious dangers.

Forum List

Back