Forget the AC - Turn off the power!

The #1 killer of people in hurricanes is people getting electrocuted in their own home, by water gushing into the house and flooding the wall outlets (which are usually less than 2 feet from the floor).

I've probably been through more hurricanes than you, heard about the deaths of MANY victims, and NEVER heard of anyone dying because of this. They die because of floods both house and car flooding (mostly) wind (trees falling on houses and cars) and then carbon monoxide poisoning from misuse of generators.

I've NEVER heard of someone dying being electrocuted in their own homes. This is because usually, the electricity goes out long before the house floods.

I've probably been through more hurricanes than you, heard about the deaths of MANY victims, and NEVER heard of anyone dying because of this. They die because of floods both house and car flooding (mostly) wind (trees falling on houses and cars) and then carbon monoxide poisoning from misuse of generators.

I've NEVER heard of someone dying being electrocuted in their own homes. This is because usually, the electricity goes out long before the house floods.
I've been living in the Tampa Bay area for 35 years. I don't know what makes you think you've probably been through more hurricanes than me, but if you have, it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference.

About 20 years ago I heard someone from the National Hurricane Center say most hurricane deaths occur by electrocution of people in their own homes.

So if you think this is not a danger, and that it can't or doesn't happen, than you are free to demonstrate that to all of us here, by filling a room in your house with water above the level of your electrical outlet, with the power still on, and if you manage to live through it, you can post here and tell us of your experience.

Forum List

Back