Forget The Talk Of Seccession...

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
It’s a recurring topic, and each new crisis brings people from all sides lobbying for, and against it’s legality...
But I have a rather different question. Can the United States expel a state from the union. Is there a mechanism, or procedure written in law for doing so?

No. We are indivisible. There is no mechanism to remove anyone from equal protection under the law.

No. We are indivisible. There is no mechanism to remove anyone from equal protection under the law.
Even when a state takes it upon themselves to negate “equal protection”?

Refusal to abide by the binding strictures of our mutual “Constitution” surely must have consequences other than death..?

Insurrection or rebellion by a state government would result in a fairly swift response by the Federal government in the form of martial law and the arrest of the leaders. Sorry, we are all stuck together.

Insurrection or rebellion by a state government would result in a fairly swift response by the Federal government in the form of martial law and the arrest of the leaders. Sorry, we are all stuck together.
But that’s not true. Multiple states violate the equal protections under the law spirit of the constitution. For what you say, to be valid... Would mean that U.S.A Inc is illegitimate. Thus legally, not to be heeded.

Last edited:
There is no way for a state to be expelled from the union. The South tried it and Dishonest Abe made sure to kill them and destroy their property.

To idiots of the Lincoln Cult, the Union lives forever. Yet, nothing lives forever.

I long for the day when it dissolves...peacefully.

But that’s not true. Multiple states violate the equal protections under the law spirit of the constitution. For what you say, to be valid... Would mean that U.S.A Inc is illegitimate. Thus legally, not to heeded.
There are certainly states that are not in perfect compliance with everything but anyone with proper standing may file suit in federal court, no state may prevent it and they must abide by the rulings.

There is no way for a state to be expelled from the union. The South tried it and Dishonest Abe made sure to kill them and destroy their property.

To idiots of the Lincoln Cult, the Union lives forever. Yet, nothing lives forever.

Incorrect.

The South attempted to leave...

The South was not expelled...

Having the Union expel a member would be quite a different affair...

I suspect that it could be handled by an Amendment to the Constitution...

If the rest of the States are pissed-off enough at a sister-state to eject her, chances are good that the Amendment would be ratified.

Quickly... darned-near at light-speed.

Yes. We should start by expelling all the useless states. What's South Dakota done for us recently?

Incorrect.

If the rest of the States are pissed-off enough at a sister-state to eject her, chances are good that the Amendment would be ratified.

Symantecs

The Op starts a thread saying to "forget secession"...in order to promote that idea.

Oh...

I'm not too sure about kicking an entire state out of the union, but if we could kick New England out before Sunday, I wouldn't mind.

Incorrect.

Symantecs
You respond with Norton Antivirus? :21:

We

Incorrect.

Symantecs
You respond with Norton Antivirus? :21:
Well you know what I meant. No?

Forum List

Back