Frankenstein …. book or film?

i have seen or read …

• Total voters
Yes!

I thought I was the only one who cought onto that. It indeed a novel of a man relating an extended delusion with hallucinations.

It was the movie, in which the monster was very real that throws modern audiences off.

I do have one twist at the end with which you may disagree.

As you know, the story is told by a ship's captain in a letter to a female, his wife or his sister, I can't recall. But the tale is told in Doctor Frankenstein's narration with the Captain's tale a wraparound.

My take is that the reader is supposed to understand, almost from the start, that the tale is of a mentally ill man's hallucinations, and murders while in the personality of his own creation. There are clues in almost every chapter that this is the case.

But at the end, Dr. Frankenstein dies, and then the ship's captain sees the monster, the only one besides Doctor F. who has seen him and lived to tell the tale. So it is supposed to be a surprise ending: Surprise! It was not a delusion, after all.

But, then again, maybe that is supposed to mean that the Captain has become caught up in Frankenstein's delusions.

I'm open to your ideas on that.
This is certainly the plot of Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde.

Mary Shelley was a mediocre writer who happened on an interesting "science fiction" idea that offered greater potential than she was able to bring to it in her novel. I would rate the Boris Karloff film as the best telling of the story, followed by Young Frankenstein, which was the most edifying.
I agree with that.
Her idea of this story is what propelled it, not the book itself.
It was a fantastic, imaginative idea for a story. Just wasn't told super well.
So it gained such massive success because it was so different than anything ever written.

But if someone such as Dickens or Ainsworth would have written it.... just wow.

Forum List

Back