Jan. 6th, The Law, and Nancy Pelosi's Dereliction of Duty

That is not a lie. Security is one of the Speaker's duties.
House Republicans have sought to change the narrative on the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol by pro-Trump protesters, claiming that Speaker Nancy Pelosi is “ultimately responsible for the breakdown of security at the Capitol.”

But their arguments overstate the role of the House speaker in overseeing the security of the Capitol and rely on speculation about Pelosi’s involvement and knowledge about intelligence warnings for which they have not provided any proof.

That is not a lie. Security is one of the Speaker's duties.
How does the Speaker's limited involvement in Capital security make her more responsible than Trump?

In a statement provided to FactCheck.org, Jane L. Campbell, president and CEO of the U.S. Capitol Historical Society, said: “The Speaker of the House does not oversee security of the U.S. Capitol, the Capitol Police Board does, and the Speaker does not oversee the Board. The Board consists of three voting members: the Senate Sergeant at Arms, the House Sergeant at Arms, and the Architect of the Capitol; together with one non-voting member, the Chief of the Capitol Police.”

To put names to those titles, on Jan. 6, the Capitol Police chief was Steven Sund; the House sergeant at arms was Paul Irving; the Senate sergeant at arms was Michael Stenger; and the architect of the Capitol was Brett Blanton. Sund, Irving and Stenger all resigned in the wake of the riot.

So how does Pelosi fit into all of this?

“The Speaker is involved in the appointment of the House Sergeant at Arms, who must be confirmed by the House,” Campbell explained. “The Senate Sergeant at Arms is chosen by the Senate. The Speaker also sits on the commission that recommends an Architect of the Capitol to the U.S. President. However, it is the President who appoints the Architect, who must be confirmed by the Senate.”

During the Republican press conference on July 27, Rep. Rodney Davis noted that Irving, the House sergeant at arms, was “appointed by the speaker.” That’s true, but Irving initially came to the position in January 2012 after being nominated by then-House Speaker John Boehner, a Republican. Irving was unanimously approved by the House. He was retained by House votes five more times, including twice when Pelosi was speaker — on Jan. 3, 2019, and Jan. 3, 2021, three days before the riot.

Time for the 997th. amendmunt to settle the question on whether or not the president can have Nancy permanently disposed of.
Personal business, official business, or who cares?

Fuck off.

CLAIM: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi blocked the National Guard from coming to the Capitol during the Jan. 6 insurrection.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. As Speaker of the House, Pelosi does not direct the National Guard. Further, as the Capitol came under attack, she and the Senate Majority leader called for military assistance, including the National Guard.

THE FACTS: On Tuesday, a false claim about the deadly Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol resurfaced suggesting that Pelosi blocked the National Guard from coming to lawmakers’ defense during the insurrection at the Capitol.

“@SpeakerPelosi, why did you block the National Guard from protecting the Capitol?” Indiana Rep. Jim Banks tweeted.

Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy posed a similar question on Fox News saying, “Was there a decision by the Speaker not to have the National Guard at the Capitol that day?”

Pelosi did not block the National Guard from the Capitol on Jan. 6

I accidentally jumped the gun posting this thread. I should of had it deleted until I was better prepared to complete my posting of the relevant laws, precedents, and rules.

The Speaker of the House, authorizes the use of Federal Troops, through emergency procedures. Much is said about the 2 hour gap when the President said nothing. Is that 2 hours the time the president had to wait for The Speaker of the House to declare an emergency? We all know that Pelose literally hates and has extreme contempt for Trump. How did that contempt play into this?

The House of Representatives is governed by many documents to include Precedents. In the Precedents we find much information to include examples to follow. In this precedent, Federal Troops are requested by the Speaker of the House during an emergency.

People can read this for themselves and determine if Nancy Pelose was derelict.
Protection of Capitol by Federal Troops§ 1.2 Federal troops have been called upon to guard the Capitol and its facilities on several extraordinary occasions' Apr. 5, 1968, in response to the widespread civil disorder that arose in the District of Columbia following the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King in Memphis, Tennessee, the preceding day, President Lyndon B. Johnson issued an executive order (3) authorizing the Secretary of Defense to mobilize National Guard Troops and to order regular armed forces into the District of Columbia to restore law and order, protect government property and prevent interference with governmental activities. The Capitol was one of the first areas secured when the troops arrived on Friday, Apr. 5.Troops remained on duty at the Capitol until Friday, Apr. 12,when they were withdrawn on order of the Secretary of Defense. The deployment of troops was in accordance with the Emergency Plan for Protection of the Capitol, which had been previously approved by the Speaker of the House and the Vice President of the United States. Specific authority was neither requested by nor received from the Speaker or other Capitol officials prior to the assignment of troops to guard the Capitol. On Feb. 25, 1943,(4) Speakers Rayburn, of Texas, from thefloor of the House, defended his policy of having the Capitol protected by federal soldiers for a time during World War II

Proof, it is the speaker of the house, that must authorize Federal Troops to protect the Capitol
1714244424614.png

Fuck off.
CLAIM: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi blocked the National Guard from coming to the Capitol during the Jan. 6 insurrection.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. As Speaker of the House, Pelosi does not direct the National Guard. Further, as the Capitol came under attack, she and the Senate Majority leader called for military assistance, including the National Guard.

THE FACTS: On Tuesday, a false claim about the deadly Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol resurfaced suggesting that Pelosi blocked the National Guard from coming to lawmakers’ defense during the insurrection at the Capitol.

The AP built a strawman, nobody ever stated that Nancy Pelose directs or controls the National Guard. Your post is irrelevant and a false premise.

The Speaker of the House, the Legislative Branch of Government must authorize the use of Federal Troops if they are to be ordered by the Executive Branch to protect the jurisdiction of the Legislative Branch.
1714245125137.png

House Republicans have sought to change the narrative on the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol by pro-Trump protesters, claiming that Speaker Nancy Pelosi is “ultimately responsible for the breakdown of security at the Capitol.”

But their arguments overstate the role of the House speaker in overseeing the security of the Capitol and rely on speculation about Pelosi’s involvement and knowledge about intelligence warnings for which they have not provided any proof.

Precedent says that Pelosi is responsible for Security and authorizes the use of Federal Troops in the jurisdiction of the Legislative Branch of government.
Protection of Capitol by Federal Troops§ 1.2 Federal troops have been called upon to guard the Capitol and its facilities on several extraordinary occasions' on Apr. 5, 1968, in response to the widespread civil disorder that arose in the District of Columbia following the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King in Memphis, Tennessee, the preceding day, President Lyndon B. Johnson issued an executive order (3) authorizing the Secretary of Defense to mobilize National Guard Troops and to order regular armed forces into the District of Columbia to restore law and order, protect government property and prevent interference with governmental activities. The Capitol was one of the first areas secured when the troops arrived on Friday, Apr. 5.Troops remained on duty at the Capitol until Friday, Apr. 12,when they were withdrawn onorder of the Secretary of Defense. The deployment of troops was in accordance with the Emergency Plan for Protection of the Capitol, which had been previously approved by the Speaker of the House and the Vice President ofthe United States. Specific authority was neither requested by no rreceived from the Speaker or other Capitol officials prior to the assignment of troops to guard the Capitol.On Feb. 25, 1943,(4) Speaker Sam Rayburn, of Texas, from the floor of the House, defended his policy of having the Capitol protected by federal soldiers for a time during World War II​

Fuck off.

“@SpeakerPelosi, why did you block the National Guard from protecting the Capitol?” Indiana Rep. Jim Banks tweeted.

Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy posed a similar question on Fox News saying, “Was there a decision by the Speaker not to have the National Guard at the Capitol that day?”

Pelosi did not block the National Guard from the Capitol on Jan. 6

Orange man bad, we know…we know.

FUCK OFF.

“The former chief of U.S. Capitol Police says security officials at the House and Senate rebuffed his early requests to call in the National Guard ahead of a demonstration in support of President Trump that turned into a deadly attack on Congress.

Former chief Steven Sund -- who resigned his post last week after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called for him to step down -- made the assertions in an interview with The Washington Post published Sunday.

Sund contradicts claims made by officials after Wednesday's assault on Capitol Hill. Sund's superiors said previously that the National Guard and other additional security support could have been provided, but no one at the Capitol requested it.“

Is NPR a credible source to YOU?

berg80
Mr. Speaker, I am utterly amazed at my colleague from Minnesota, a man usually of splendid judgment and absolute fairness. We have on this hill $180,000,000worth of property. . ... . . It happens to be the business of the Speaker of the House of Representatives to protect the property on this hill, and it cannot be protected by a few Metropolitan Police. . .. someday or some night somebody may come into this building and destroy a million dollars' worth of property. As long as I have the responsibility, I am going to keep somebody here to protect these.

scotus? Constitutionally the Judicial Branch which is the Supreme Court can only rule on laws or rules that exist. The Legislative Branch, Congress enacts new laws, rules, or codes.
Of course! But you don't understand that when the Scotus interprets the question on a president doing 'personal' business, from official business, you will have a 'new' and definitive understanding of the law.

So who then is responsible for making law?

Do you have a guess on what the Scotus will decide?

Face it elektra, the Fanding Fouthers fkd up! And that's what's pissing everybody off. Even my pissant has his mandibles in a knot on what position is best for his species.

Orange man bad, we know…we know.

“The former chief of U.S. Capitol Police says security officials at the House and Senate rebuffed his early requests to call in the National Guard ahead of a demonstration in support of President Trump that turned into a deadly attack on Congress.

Former chief Steven Sund -- who resigned his post last week after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called for him to step down -- made the assertions in an interview with The Washington Post published Sunday.

Sund contradicts claims made by officials after Wednesday's assault on Capitol Hill. Sund's superiors said previously that the National Guard and other additional security support could have been provided, but no one at the Capitol requested it.“
Have you seen this, it is just a start for me, I have more to find.

I mean shit, you only posted the black letter law, and the fucking moonbat chirps DEBOOOOOOOONKED! like a trained parrot.
I am posting more than the law, I am also using the precedents.

The law states the Jurisdiction of the Legislative Branch is just that. The Executive Branch can not, by the Separation of Powers, order Federal Troops that are controlled by the Executive Branch to invaded the Legislative Branch.

I use the word invade, because without authorization from the Legislative Branch to protect the jurisdiction of the Legislative Branch, it is an invasion by the Executive Branch.

I bet Nancy Pelosi was just chomping at the bit, daring Trump to order Federal Troops to invade.

Of course! But you don't understand that when the Scotus interprets the question on a president doing 'personal' business, from official business, you will have a 'new' and definitive understanding of the law.

So who then is responsible for making law?

Do you have a guess on what the Scotus will decide?

Face it elektra, the Fanding Fouthers fkd up! And that's what's pissing everybody off. Even my pissant has his mandibles in a knot on what position is best for his species.
This all makes for a great discussion that requires hours of research. My post on Jan. 6th, I spent hours researching and intentionally am not using Fox news or Political Commentators. It is now 4pm on Saturday.

Did the Founding Fathers fuck up? I don't thinks so. I think that we can have this conversation is proof that the Founding Fathers were brilliant.

One thing I think we can agree on, is that this discussion is far from settled, and may not be settled for decades. Similar to many decisions the Supreme Court makes, such as the Dred Scott decisions.

Forum List

Back