Free Voter ID Cards

Free BushBama IDs for everyone!

Well, at least till we find someone forging them, at which point we can require everyone to have a free Obamney RFID chip implant!

Charging anything - even $8.50 - for a voter ID is essentially a poll tax.
You aren't being charged a fee/excised a tax by the state to register to vote or to cast a ballot at the poll, so its -not- a poll tax.

You'll note that none of the court arguments regarding voter IDs have in any way revolved around the idea of a poll tax; they all center around discrimination against minorities.

In this, you are demonstrably wrong.

answering absentee ?

LMAO

You aren't being charged a fee/excised a tax by the state to register to vote or to cast a ballot at the poll, so its -not- a poll tax.

You'll note that none of the court arguments regarding voter IDs have in any way revolved around the idea of a poll tax; they all center around discrimination against minorities.

The fact that you disagree with something or that you are unaware of any previous legal argument on the same lines doesn't make me "demonstrably wrong." That's just wishful thinking.

$8.50 or so may not seem like much to the vast majority of us. But charging anything to exercise your right to vote does discriminate against extremely low income folks. (Has nothing to do with race imho).

The fact that you disagree with something or that you are unaware of any previous legal argument on the same lines doesn't make me "demonstrably wrong." That's just wishful thinking.
Nothing here changes the fact that you're wrong.

But charging anything to exercise your right to vote does discriminate against extremely low income folk
However true this may or may not be -- it's not a poll tax.

Anything else?

In sum, voter IDs are expensive, often prohibitively so.
How much does it cost to get a state ID in your state?
In OH? $8.50

Without a state-issued ID, how does the state verify that the person at the poll is who he says he is?
In all the States I have lived and voted in, a gvt issued photo ID was not required, and no instances of anyone trying to fake it and vote in some other person's spot.... it is silly to even think the normal crook would even try to do such....

to actually take the chance and show up at the polling place and give the name of someone else, and know the address of someone else and know the party affiliation of someone else, and then SIGN the voter list, which would be a felony if they are caught...let alone if they showed up and tried to use the name of someone else that has already voted or that the polling person knew the person whose name you have chosen to steal...

Sorry, this scenario is the LEAST LIKELY way that a person would vote illegally....

They would go the absentee ballot route, before ever trying this in person, if they had any brains at all.....

it's a big to do ABOUT NOTHING.... gvt issue photo voter id IS ONLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF DISENFRANCHISING American citizens who do not drive and have a driver's license...

there is no other REASON....

You've been fooled by the man behind the curtain if you even think voter gvt issued photo id's is for anything else.

It is essentially the same thing - a fee, tax whatever you want to call it - to vote.

If silly semantics is all you have - you really don't have much do you?

answering absentee ?
LMAO
Oh look... another example of your willful avoidance of the truth.

In OH? $8.50

Without a state-issued ID, how does the state verify that the person at the poll is who he says he is?
In all the States I have lived and voted in, a gvt issued photo ID was not required....
Sorry -- I didn't see your answer:

It is essentially the same thing - a fee, tax whatever you want to call it - to vote.
If silly semantics is all you have - you really don't have much do you?
"Poll tax" has a specific meaning; requiring a photo ID doesn't meet the definition.

Does anyone pay a fee at the poll? No.
Is anyone issued a receipt for that fee? No.

And so, YOU have nothing.

You're wrong. Get over it.

maybe not ..

(Harvard Law)

In sum, voter IDs are expensive, often prohibitively so.7 And their costs can produce the

constitutionally impermissible effect of abridging or denying individual citizens their right
to vote. The total costs to citizens in all voter ID states for “free” IDs, plus state government
expenses for producing those “free” IDs, can reach into the multiple $100s of millions.

typical Republicans ... bitch about spending money, then step on their dress trying to find their purse.

http://today.law.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/FullReportVoterIDJune20141.pdf

The courts disagree with you. If you think this is a poll tax, don't you think the courts would have seen that? For more corroboration of why we need voter ID , see Texas for more information.

In OH? $8.50

In all the States I have lived and voted in, a gvt issued photo ID was not required....

sorry I STILL haven' seen your answer

Moreover, a "tax" implicates the use of money. Nobody is paying to vote at the polls. All I had to do was show my state issued ID. People on welfare, SSI, or SSDI can get one too. All I hear from Siete is excuses. Don't worry, though, the court ruling allowing Texas to implement it's voter ID law has set precedent for other states to employ similar laws.

In OH? $8.50
sorry I STILL haven' seen your answer
Still laughing at you.

There is a number of exceptions for voters in nursing homes and care facilities, as well as those at home who are indefinitely confined due to age, physical illness or infirmity, or who are disabled for an indefinite period. Instead of providing a copy of their photo ID, they may have their absentee witness verify their identity.
Military and legally defined overseas elector absentee voters are exempt from the photo ID law.

LMAO

next contestants !

There is a number of exceptions for voters in nursing homes and care facilities, as well as those at home who are indefinitely confined due to age, physical illness or infirmity, or who are disabled for an indefinite period. Instead of providing a copy of their photo ID, they may have their absentee witness verify their identity.
Military and legally defined overseas elector absentee voters are exempt from the photo ID law.

LMAO

next contestants !

Like I said, tell that to the 30 states who employ voter ID laws.

maybe not ..

(Harvard Law)

In sum, voter IDs are expensive, often prohibitively so.7 And their costs can produce the

constitutionally impermissible effect of abridging or denying individual citizens their right
to vote. The total costs to citizens in all voter ID states for “free” IDs, plus state government
expenses for producing those “free” IDs, can reach into the multiple $100s of millions.

typical Republicans ... bitch about spending money, then step on their dress trying to find their purse.

http://today.law.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/FullReportVoterIDJune20141.pdf

This is an absolute bunch of nonsense. Most states have low cost IDs available. California, which is definitely a high cost state, provides State Photo IDs for $8 for low income people; senior 62 and over can get them for free. Even the full fee card is only $28.

California ID Card Fees
It will cost you $28 for a:

• Original California ID.
    • CA ID card renewal.
    • Replacement CA ID card (for a lost or stolen card or a name change).
This ID Card valid for 6 years.

There is no cost:

• For a senior citizen card if you’re 62 years old or older. This card is valid for 10 years.
    • To change your address.
    • To exchange your driver’s license for a CA ID card if you’re no longer able to drive due to a physical or mental condition. Contact your local CA DMV office for more information.
Reduced Fee CA ID Card
If you meet income requirements from a government or public assistance program, you may be eligible to receive a CA ID for a reduced fee of $8.

You will need to obtain a Verification for Reduced Fee Identification Card form (Form DL 937) from the government or from a non-profit agency giving you assistance, and bring the completed form with you to the CA DMV when you apply for your CA ID card....

Applying for a New California DMV Identification Card at DMV.org The DMV Made Simple

Last edited:

Forum List

Back