Free wifi for all?

free wifi is a great idea.

It helps level the playing field

Are you aware that WiFi is available almost everywhere?

Free WiFi is not currently available in most places. What is available usually sucks...unless you are a hipster in a small world?

Free WiFi is available in a lot more places than you think. The major exceptions to the availbility of free WiFi are places where the government tried to set up networks.

The federal government wants to create super WiFi networks across the nation, so powerful and broad in reach that consumers could use them to make calls or surf the Internet without paying a cellphone bill every month.

The proposal from the Federal Communications Commission has rattled the $178 billion wireless industry, which has launched a fierce lobbying effort to persuade policymakers to reconsider the idea, analysts say. That has been countered by an equally intense campaign from Google, Microsoft and other tech giants who say a free-for-all WiFi service would spark an explosion of innovations and devices that would benefit most Americans, especially the poor.

Tech, telecom giants take sides as FCC proposes large public WiFi networks - The Washington Post

think of the jobs created .. by the government.. to build this?

Then we can all tell the private industry scumbags that have been ripping US citizens off while the rest of the world has better access to broadband..."we built it!"

:clap2:

Not only would the government not create the jobs, mostly because the government is 3 generations behind on teck, they wouldn't build it in the first place, it would be built by everyday users of the network.

they pay for it, they built it...isn't that right wing dogma?

the government labs (research/schools/funds) are the 'tech' labs of America

get over the ideological bs

People did not understand how to protect their data from the network back then. Also why don't you turn on your computer's hot spot connection sharing so you are sharing with others any internet connection you may have? Are you just a user & not a provider?
So it wouldn't be a problem now. Thanks.

It may come closer to working if every smart-phone, router, repeater, bridge, access point, tablet, laptop & computer sold had the hot-spot internet sharing feature turned on at the factory. People just don't naturally share their network or understand how they could benefit from sharing. They also don't know how to share it.

Are you sharing???

:thanks:

i am.... are you?

Are you aware that WiFi is available almost everywhere?

Free WiFi is not currently available in most places. What is available usually sucks...unless you are a hipster in a small world?

Free WiFi is available in a lot more places than you think. The major exceptions to the availbility of free WiFi are places where the government tried to set up networks.

just like the industry likes to say 'America has broadband' they like to say we have free wifi...

look at what other nations have and then hide your head in shame. American consumers and citizens get screwed every time in ways other nations do not allow...it's called regulation

Why would that be a problem now? I can go to starbucks and use their free wifi and protect my computer.

I can go to that same Starbucks and get all your passwords.

no you can't

Yes, I can. The only real question is how hard it would be. If it was you I could use an Addon for Firefox, if the person is more sophisticated I would need to use more complicated means to do it.

Ain't nothing free. Just wait...

And why should it be free?

that's an interesting question.

but the simple answer is because you can't function without it anymore. your kids can't do school work without the internet anymore. and not having it is a distinct societal disadvantage now.
Somewhat like broadcast tv and radio used to be.

think of the jobs created .. by the government.. to build this?

Then we can all tell the private industry scumbags that have been ripping US citizens off while the rest of the world has better access to broadband..."we built it!"

:clap2:

Not only would the government not create the jobs, mostly because the government is 3 generations behind on teck, they wouldn't build it in the first place, it would be built by everyday users of the network.

No, it is just a simple fact. SuperWiFi uses the devices that are in the hands of users to create a network that is self sustaining. There is no infrastructure involved, so no one has to build it.

Not my fault you don't know what you are talking about.

People like to say the government is a bumbling moron and an entity...then in the same breath, the government is all knowing, all seeing, and capable of seriously sophisticated monitoring of each and every snippet of data...

Private Industry, with profit motive as number one, is acquiring and monitoring people in more ways and in volume, than the government ever could or would...and all with our complicit consent

just like the industry likes to say 'America has broadband' they like to say we have free wifi...

look at what other nations have and then hide your head in shame. American consumers and citizens get screwed every time in ways other nations do not allow...it's called regulation

I am not the industry, I happen to be a guy that has learned how to find free WiFi in various places. Did you know there are actual apps that tell you where to find hotspots?

I can go to that same Starbucks and get all your passwords.

no you can't

Yes, I can. The only real question is how hard it would be. If it was you I could use an Addon for Firefox, if the person is more sophisticated I would need to use more complicated means to do it.

that's assuming people accept add ons

stop acting like you actually know what you are talking about because if you did you wouldn't be spending so much time on anonymous internet forums arguing in circles with Ravi

things that are theoretically possible are usually just that....theoretically possible...but I choose to live in the real world.

at a cafe here somebody tried viewing my computer when I was uploading files...I suspect the person who 'fixes' their routers and stuff. I complained. they stopped offering an open connection for a while. don't know what they are doing now.

When people do things, they are usually playing at a game they are testing out...on unsuspecting innocents. It's child's play.

I am not the industry, I happen to be a guy that has learned how to find free WiFi in various places. Did you know there are actual apps that tell you where to find hotspots?

jesus christ, you use apps to find wifi?

Look at store and business windows...they usually advertise in HUGE lettering FREE WiFi

free wifi from businesses is a security frisk because most who run them are amateurs or worse...like you game players.. I've done banking and web site uploads at public places. No one has ever compromised my device or what I was doing.

Viewing my computer files is what somebody tried doing and I caught them. Hackers are usually fools

No, it is just a simple fact. SuperWiFi uses the devices that are in the hands of users to create a network that is self sustaining. There is no infrastructure involved, so no one has to build it.

Not my fault you don't know what you are talking about.

there you go again...

Tech, telecom giants take sides as FCC proposes large public WiFi networks - The Washington Post

The airwaves that FCC officials want to hand over to the public would be much more powerful than existing WiFi networks that have become common in households. They could penetrate thick concrete walls and travel over hills and around trees. If all goes as planned, free access to the Web would be available in just about every metropolitan area and in many rural areas.

The new WiFi networks would also have much farther reach, allowing for a driverless car to communicate with another vehicle a mile away or a patient’s heart monitor to connect to a hospital on the other side of town.

If approved by the FCC, the free networks would still take several years to set up. And, with no one actively managing them, con*nections could easily become jammed in major cities. But public WiFi could allow many consumers to make free calls from their mobile phones via the Internet. The frugal-minded could even use the service in their homes, allowing them to cut off expensive Internet bills.

no you can't

that's assuming people accept add ons

stop acting like you actually know what you are talking about because if you did you wouldn't be spending so much time on anonymous internet forums arguing in circles with Ravi

things that are theoretically possible are usually just that....theoretically possible...but I choose to live in the real world.

at a cafe here somebody tried viewing my computer when I was uploading files...I suspect the person who 'fixes' their routers and stuff. I complained. they stopped offering an open connection for a while. don't know what they are doing now.

When people do things, they are usually playing at a game they are testing out...on unsuspecting innocents. It's child's play.

No it isn't, that is an addon I can use to get your password out of the air. You can be using Internet Explorer on your computer and I would be able to pull your passwords.

Seriously dude, stop pontificating about stuff you now nothing about.

Look at store and business windows...they usually advertise in HUGE lettering FREE WiFi

free wifi from businesses is a security frisk because most who run them are amateurs or worse...like you game players.. I've done banking and web site uploads at public places. No one has ever compromised my device or what I was doing.

Viewing my computer files is what somebody tried doing and I caught them. Hackers are usually fools

I thought you said there wasn't any, yet you know where to stumble across it.

I thought you said there wasn't any, yet you know where to stumble across it.

wasn't any?

there you go again...:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back