Freedom of speech? Not for our police officers

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
A police officer eventually lost his job because he said "I'm surprised that nobody offed him yet" in reference to Calypso Louie on Facebook. He never said he'd like to.....or that somebody should.......just the he was surprised nobody hasn't.

He was suspended several months ago and now our local Fox affiliate claims he was recently fired for the comment. So that begs the questions: if this officer made a similar comment about a white radical, would he still be on the job today? Does this officer have a case for a First Amendment violation lawsuit?

Akron police officer relieved of duty after Facebook post about Farrakhan

Last edited:
A police officer eventually lost his job because he said "I'm surprised that nobody offed him yet" in reference to Calypso Louie on Facebook. He never said he'd like to.....or that somebody should.......just the he was surprised nobody hasn't.

He was suspended several months ago and now our local Fox affiliate claims he was recently fired for the comment. So that begs the questions: if this officer made a similar comment about a white radical, would he still be on the job today? Does this officer have a case for a Fourth Amendment violation lawsuit?

Nope.

We are all held accountable for what we say on social media under our own names... It's why we all use aliases here.

Isn't a first amendment issue.

Police officers are held to higher standard by their employment contract which have been found to be immune to most 1st amendment challenges.

He was suspended several months ago and now our local Fox affiliate claims he was recently fired for the comment. So that begs the questions: if this officer made a similar comment about a white radical, would he still be on the job today? Does this officer have a case for a Fourth Amendment violation lawsuit?

Nope.

We are all held accountable for what we say on social media under our own names... It's why we all use aliases here.

Isn't a first amendment issue.

Thanks for pointing out I had the wrong amendment. I made the correction.

The people of this country are provided protection from government retaliation when it comes to speech. I don't care if you are a police officer, a lineman, a snow plow driver. We are all protected.

This officer made no threat against anti-semite Louie. He didn't say somebody else should off him. He simply said he's surprised it hasn't happened yet given the fact this anti-American is hate monger.

Police officers are held to higher standard by their employment contract which have been found to be immune to most 1st amendment challenges.

So where does it say in the Constitution that not all citizens have it's protections? The left claims that illegals have constitutional rights even though they don't live here, but a person born in this country doesn't just because he took a job as a police officer?

The people of this country are provided protection from government retaliation when it comes to speech. I don't care if you are a police officer, a lineman, a snow plow driver. We are all protected.

From government retaliation... not employer retaliation.

This officer made no threat against anti-semite Louie. He didn't say somebody else should off him. He simply said he's surprised it hasn't happened yet given the fact this anti-American is hate monger.

In short, he made the PD look like a bunch of racist douche-noodles.

FIRED!

So where does it say in the Constitution that not all citizens have it's protections? The left claims that illegals have constitutional rights even though they don't live here, but a person born in this country doesn't just because he took a job as a police officer?
The first amendment prohibits congress from making laws restricting speech, that's all. Actual questions of speech are mostly left up to the states and is usually balanced against public safety.

The first amendment prohibits congress from making laws restricting speech, that's all. Actual questions of speech are mostly left up to the states and is usually balanced against public safety.

Congress shall make no laws respecting the establishment of any religion, so what does that have to do with a school locally funded from teaching religion? The ACLU takes these cases to court for constitutional violations because they don't restrict it to just Congress. The intent was for any part of government violating your rights.

Years ago there was a little town outside of the city, and actually in another county. People from the city began to move into Medina, Ohio in droves and it grew quite quickly. In their school hung a picture of Jesus Christ. When the city people invaded this community, some leftist called the ACLU to have the picture removed. It hung there for generations. The school was forced to take that picture down. Congress had nothing to do with it.

No matter how you slice it or dice it, this officers rights were violated.

Congress shall make no laws respecting the establishment of any religion, so what does that have to do with a school locally funded from teaching religion? The ACLU takes these cases to court for constitutional violations because they don't restrict it to just Congress. The intent was for any part of government violating your rights.

Years ago there was a little town outside of the city, and actually in another county. People from the city began to move into Medina, Ohio in droves and it grew quite quickly. In their school hung a picture of Jesus Christ. When the city people invaded this community, some leftist called the ACLU to have the picture removed. It hung there for generations. The school was forced to take that picture down. Congress had nothing to do with it.

The separation of church and state is one issue and free speech is another. This is not a first amendment issue. In this case an officer violated his employment contract according to his employer by whatever due process that exists. He has legal standing to sue but the courts usually find for employers.

He worked for government. He got paid by the government. He got fired by the government.

For his conduct as an employee of the government. You get on Facebook or Linked in and make your employer look bad, that's on you, buddy.

Why is that? Unless you're an extremist, terrorist or anti-semite, everybody hates Farrakhan.

Whose' "Everybody". I mean, I know you all hate him in your MAGA Klan chapter, but most folks are indifferent to him.

For his conduct as an employee of the government. You get on Facebook or Linked in and make your employer look bad, that's on you, buddy.

Apparently he didn't mention the police department. Only people that knew him were aware of his employment. But even if it was the case, how does he get excluded from constitutional protection?

Whose' "Everybody". I mean, I know you all hate him in your MAGA Klan chapter, but most folks are indifferent to him.

They are, huh?

Black Voters Like Louis Farrakhan. Everyone Else, Not So Much - Rasmussen Reports®

The separation of church and state is one issue and free speech is another. This is not a first amendment issue. In this case an officer violated his employment contract according to his employer by whatever due process that exists. He has legal standing to sue but the courts usually find for employers.

I see. So what you are saying is that we have constitutional protections of free speech unless it's contracted out?

His rights were not violated. He said his piece and the public said theirs.

Say stupid shit, get stupid results

End of story

He didn't get suspended or fired by the people, he got fired by the government; retaliation of free speech.

Cite the law that was violated.

People are not protected from the results of stupidity unless those results are a violation of the LAW

From government retaliation... not employer retaliation.

In short, he made the PD look like a bunch of racist douche-noodles.

FIRED!

More of the same...right Joe?
Nuggas can talk all they shit they want about Whites, even go as far as fabricate lies and embellish truths....BUT as soon as a White points out simple FACTS such as “Blacks tend to be more criminal minded” or “Blacks tend to suck the .gov tit more than other groups” you White hating, truth defying filthy fucks shit your pants. Weird huh?

I see. So what you are saying is that we have constitutional protections of free speech unless it's contracted out?
Exactly, especially If you deal with the public. It has to be that way because you are acting as a representative of a company. This does not end when you clock out either.

Apparently he didn't mention the police department. Only people that knew him were aware of his employment. But even if it was the case, how does he get excluded from constitutional protection?

Apparently, one of the people who knew him reported him to his employer... so there's that.

They are, huh?

Ratmuffin isn't a credible pol. sorry, wishing ANYONE dead because you don't like them is not what I want from my police.

More of the same...right Joe?
Nuggas can talk all they shit they want about Whites, even go as far as fabricate lies and embellish truths....BUT as soon as a White points out simple FACTS such as “Blacks tend to be more criminal minded” or “Blacks tend to suck the .gov tit more than other groups” you White hating, truth defying filthy fucks shit your pants. Weird huh?

Tell you what, buddy. Why don't you take the above comment and send it out to all your co-workers tomorrow. Make sure you include HR.

Tell me how long you have a job for.

Forum List

Back