Garrison Keillor Speaks on Being 81

Procrustes Stretched

Dante's Manifesto
Dec 1, 2008
snippet:
Octogenarians have less need to search for themselves; they can pay more attention to what’s around them. You stand at a lectern listening to a man of 78 at another lectern claim to be greater than Washington, Jefferson, or Lincoln, claiming that he won an election by a landslide though he got fewer votes — this is truly amazing. If you were 21, you might think, “Well, this is what politicians do.” When you’re 81, you know this is an absurdity and politicians mostly stay away from the absurd. They don’t campaign by yodeling while riding unicycles and carrying ferrets on their shoulders and wearing a cap with a revolving red light. They try to make sense.

Longevity is getting longer thanks to medical progress, more people hitting their nineties, which means that you can do dumb things well into your seventies and still have time to recover. Donald Trump could still become a decent modest human being and learn to tell a joke. I truly believe this

I truly love what this man has to say. I love how he says it. He's no genius, stable of otherwise, but he never claimed to be one. He's not lacking in self-awareness. He seems loaded with that. Just look at his past history on radio and stage.

snippet:
Octogenarians have less need to search for themselves; they can pay more attention to what’s around them. You stand at a lectern listening to a man of 78 at another lectern claim to be greater than Washington, Jefferson, or Lincoln, claiming that he won an election by a landslide though he got fewer votes — this is truly amazing. If you were 21, you might think, “Well, this is what politicians do.” When you’re 81, you know this is an absurdity and politicians mostly stay away from the absurd. They don’t campaign by yodeling while riding unicycles and carrying ferrets on their shoulders and wearing a cap with a revolving red light. They try to make sense.

Longevity is getting longer thanks to medical progress, more people hitting their nineties, which means that you can do dumb things well into your seventies and still have time to recover. Donald Trump could still become a decent modest human being and learn to tell a joke. I truly believe this

I truly love what this man has to say. I love how he says it. He's no genius, stable of otherwise, but he never claimed to be one. He's not lacking in self-awareness. He seems loaded with that. Just look at his past history on radio and stage.
I can only assume, if this is what you likewise believe, you have not actually LISTENED to any of RFKjr.'s campaign speeches, but only listened to what the mass media has said about him.

:rolleyes:

I'm an octogenarian and I say that Joe has lost his marbles. He should step down and complete his sunset journey of life.
Some of us age gracefully, and some begin to fall apart sooner than later.
Unfortunately Dementia has caught up to Joe sooner than he would have expected.
Funny in my late seventies to my early eighties I was still able to to work,hunt and handle myself. I'm Nearly 90 now and those things are not longer possible.
My mind is still sharp but physically I can't stand for 90 minutes, but I can banter ccogently with people like you.

I'm an octogenarian and I say that Joe has lost his marbles. He should step down and complete his sunset journey of life.
Some of us age gracefully, and some begin to fall apart sooner than later.
Unfortunately Dementia has caught up to Joe sooner than he would have expected.
Funny in my late seventies to my early eighties I was still able to to work,hunt and handle myself. I'm Nearly 90 now and those things are not longer possible.
My mind is still sharp but physically I can't stand for 90 minutes, but I can banter ccogently with people like you.
Yup.

. . . and it is well known, that Mr. Keillor is more than a little on the left. I don't begrudge him at all, by being offended by Trump's exaggerations, or being lose with the facts.

What we can all agree on, is our love for the nation, and this last part;

". . . But what is most memorable to me is the kindness of my teacher Estelle Shaver when I was six, the kindness of my mother, my aunts, and the two men, Marvin Granger and Bill Kling, who hired me for jobs in radio despite poor grades and vast inexperience. Human kindness, overflowing. This is what I think about as I walk those ten blocks on Sunday morning: The Lord is good and His mercy endureth forever."

And that is why I always tuned in. And what we need more of in the nation today.

Forum List

Back