Gay marriage ruling seen by Polygamists as opening door

In 37 states its illegal to marry someone of the same sex...things are changing and rightfully so...NO ONE should have the right to tell someone of appropriate age who they can or can't marry.

And no one who adheres to or promotes traditional family values and mores should be labeled homophobic.

its so traditional that only 49% of the population take it seriously

In every state in the union there are age requirements for marriage. In every state there is a requirement that you not be married to someone else. In every state the law requires that the marriage is consensual - that means you have to be of sound mind and judgement - and of legal contractual age.

I fail to see why anyone would be worried that polygamists and pedophiles are going to suddenly manage to marry legally.

About 10 years ago in every state in the Union it was a requirement that the parties be different genders.

Today that's not the same. Clearly if you don't see why anyone would be concerned about polygamists managing to marry legally, then you've had your head shoved up your ass for the past decade.

having many wives was more traditional than having one at one point. Stop trying to change the meaning of the word marriage!

In 37 states its illegal to marry someone of the same sex...things are changing and rightfully so...NO ONE should have the right to tell someone of appropriate age who they can or can't marry.

And no one who adheres to or promotes traditional family values and mores should be labeled homophobic.

I suppose if you would bother to provide a source for that figure, it might include a margin of error, allowing for a 50/50 split on opinion and rendering this discussion moot.

In every state in the union there are age requirements for marriage. In every state there is a requirement that you not be married to someone else. In every state the law requires that the marriage is consensual - that means you have to be of sound mind and judgement - and of legal contractual age.

I fail to see why anyone would be worried that polygamists and pedophiles are going to suddenly manage to marry legally.

There is no discrimination against polygamy or those who want to be polygamists. Polygamy is illegal for everyone, so there is no discrimination. Pedophiles marrying or legally having a sexual relationship with a minor is not possible legally because a minor cannot give consent. The arguments some are making that allowing gay marriage will lead to all sorts of horrors are just stupid and being spewed by a bunch of homophobic whiners.

Correct.

The notion that the DOMA ruling will lead to ‘legalizing’ polygamy is demagoguery and ignorant nonsense.

There is no discrimination against polygamy or those who want to be polygamists. Polygamy is illegal for everyone, so there is no discrimination. Pedophiles marrying or legally having a sexual relationship with a minor is not possible legally because a minor cannot give consent. The arguments some are making that allowing gay marriage will lead to all sorts of horrors are just stupid and being spewed by a bunch of homophobic whiners.

Correct.

The notion that the DOMA ruling will lead to ‘legalizing’ polygamy is demagoguery and ignorant nonsense.

Why shouldn't it be legalized? These people are adults!

Correct.

Or.....wishful thinking. Tho there's nothing wrong with that.

I suppose if you would bother to provide a source for that figure, it might include a margin of error, allowing for a 50/50 split on opinion and rendering this discussion moot.

Information on Divorce Rate and Statistics

Articles: Divorce Rates Threaten Marriage More Than a DOMA Repeal

what do you think?

About 10 years ago in every state in the Union it was a requirement that the parties be different genders.

Today that's not the same. Clearly if you don't see why anyone would be concerned about polygamists managing to marry legally, then you've had your head shoved up your ass for the past decade.

having many wives was more traditional than having one at one point. Stop trying to change the meaning of the word marriage!

One day it might be nice for you actually follow the conversation.

Correct.

Legalizing same sex "marriage" will lead to legalizing polygamy. There is no rational justification for it not leading to it. DOMA being overturned is completely irrelevant. It's just a step that certain groups are taking to try to force the redefinition of marriage over the entire nation.

If you are going to call it marriage, which it's not. but if you are going to call it marriage there is no reason not to extend benefits.

Why we allow the government to extend benefits to people and interfer in their lives is beyond me. Why you guys want the government regulating same sex marriage is beyond me as well. If anything we should be getting government less involved in all marriages.

i am....Not my fault you are too retarded to understand.

Following me around the board calling me names isn't really participating in any dicussion.

No one talked about traditional marriage in our discussion. It's just complete irrational to argue that changing the definiition to include same sex relationships isn't going to lead polygamy. Especially when the polygamists are using the same arguments.

what do you think?

Thanks for that, Pb. :thup:

I think that marriage is just that... marriage. And same-sex marriages will soon join the statistical ranks of traditional marriages with all the inherent legal and societal ramifications of divorce, child custody, separate maintenance, single-parent households, "fatherless" and "motherless" children, etc. etc.

The DOMA repeal isn't necessarily a "threat", but a dilution of long-held traditional mores that are more attune to the natural order of things. Homosexuality is hardly a new phenomenon. It's legal blending into the whole of society is.

Following me around the board calling me names isn't really participating in any dicussion.

No one talked about traditional marriage in our discussion. It's just complete irrational to argue that changing the definiition to include same sex relationships isn't going to lead polygamy. Especially when the polygamists are using the same arguments.
if thats the excuse you need to run with. " you didnt use a word"
This is why you are a joke.

what do you think?

Thanks for that, Pb. :thup:

I think that marriage is just that... marriage. And same-sex marriages will soon join the statistical ranks of traditional marriages with all the inherent legal and societal ramifications of divorce, child custody, separate maintenance, single-parent households, "fatherless" and "motherless" children, etc. etc.

The DOMA repeal isn't necessarily a "threat", but a dilution of long-held traditional mores that are more attune to the natural order of things. Homosexuality is hardly a new phenomenon. It's legal blending into the whole of society is.

Well what do you think the % is?

Correct.

Why shouldn't it be legalized? These people are adults!

You ask the wrong question.

The correct question is how do laws prohibiting plural marriage violate the 14th Amendment.

The answer is, they don’t.

Such laws are rationally based, seek a legitimate legislative end, and are applied to everyone equally, no particular class of persons is singled out for exclusion.

And no, again, polygamists do not constitute a ‘class of persons.’

if thats the excuse you need to run with. " you didnt use a word"
This is why you are a joke.

Your inability to read isn't an excuse. It's just a fact.

I know you seem to think im somehow hurt by your insults, but Im not. It's absolutely childish to think I would be.

Delude yourself all you want PB. You wouldnt be going after me as much as you are if you didn't feel threatened by what I write. But there is no need for that. There is always hope for you.

Forum List

Back