George W. Bush critics turn wrath on President Obama : Democrats are angry

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Well nice to see bipartisan anger over certain issues. Bravo for not being hypocrites!:clap2:

By DARREN SAMUELSOHN | 6/7/13 5:04 AM EDT

A club of Capitol Hill liberals made life hell for George W. Bush in his second term.

Now the gang is back — and they don’t care that this time the president is their guy.

Read more: George W. Bush critics turn wrath on President Obama - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com

In the last few weeks, some of the loudest anti-Bush voices — including Democratic Reps. Henry Waxman and Ed Markey and Sens. Mark Udall and Ron Wyden – have been demanding answers from the White House on civil liberties, privacy and regulations, some of the same questions that defined Bush’s second term.

Then news broke that the NSA is sweeping up millions of Americans’ phone records and monitoring their Internet activity and the irritation turned to full-blown outrage.

:clap2:

“The president said that I must return to my authentic self. And I think the president needs to go back and read his own speeches,” said Rep. Elijah Cummings, implying Obama could use a refresher course on some of his own 2008 campaign rhetoric — when he spoke openly about not becoming part of the conventional politics of Washington.

Others likened him to Bush, directly.

“I’m very concerned that this is basically a continuation of the policies of the Bush administration and the abuses of the Patriot Act. I’d like to see better out of this administration,” said Rep. Peter DeFazio, an Oregon Democrat who noted he’s long been game to question Obama’s priorities.

House Judiciary Committee ranking member John Conyers also was steamed over the NSA eavesdropping, which he called another thorn in the side of progressive Democrats who fought Bush for nearly eight years on the issue and now must deal with Obama.

“I think the administration has brought it on themselves,” the Michigan Democrat told POLITICO. “These revelations are making it necessary that we speak up.

We still support the administration but if we don’t speak up now they can keep drifting toward the right. So it seems to me it’s good for us and them that these things be put on the table.

More at link. Great read.

George W. Bush critics turn wrath on President Obama - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com

Funny how times have changed. This makes me question why some people have the ability to vote. Seriously it does. They voted on his "hope and change" not on his credentials.

Well nice to see bipartisan anger over certain issues. Bravo for not being hypocrites!:clap2:

By DARREN SAMUELSOHN | 6/7/13 5:04 AM EDT

A club of Capitol Hill liberals made life hell for George W. Bush in his second term.

Now the gang is back — and they don’t care that this time the president is their guy.

Read more: George W. Bush critics turn wrath on President Obama - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com

In the last few weeks, some of the loudest anti-Bush voices — including Democratic Reps. Henry Waxman and Ed Markey and Sens. Mark Udall and Ron Wyden – have been demanding answers from the White House on civil liberties, privacy and regulations, some of the same questions that defined Bush’s second term.

Then news broke that the NSA is sweeping up millions of Americans’ phone records and monitoring their Internet activity and the irritation turned to full-blown outrage.

“The president said that I must return to my authentic self. And I think the president needs to go back and read his own speeches,” said Rep. Elijah Cummings, implying Obama could use a refresher course on some of his own 2008 campaign rhetoric — when he spoke openly about not becoming part of the conventional politics of Washington.

Others likened him to Bush, directly.

“I’m very concerned that this is basically a continuation of the policies of the Bush administration and the abuses of the Patriot Act. I’d like to see better out of this administration,” said Rep. Peter DeFazio, an Oregon Democrat who noted he’s long been game to question Obama’s priorities.

House Judiciary Committee ranking member John Conyers also was steamed over the NSA eavesdropping, which he called another thorn in the side of progressive Democrats who fought Bush for nearly eight years on the issue and now must deal with Obama.

“I think the administration has brought it on themselves,” the Michigan Democrat told POLITICO. “These revelations are making it necessary that we speak up.

We still support the administration but if we don’t speak up now they can keep drifting toward the right. So it seems to me it’s good for us and them that these things be put on the table.

More at link. Great read.

George W. Bush critics turn wrath on President Obama - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com

Give it another week or so and they will forget all about it.

<snip>

They'll be taken to the woodshed and told to STFU.

Count on it.

Woody Hayes an OLD TIME Ohio State football coach once said ""Only 3 things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad"

Well this Administration has 3 characteristics.. and two of them are bad!
Either Obama is:
1) Incompetent... Watching Geraldo tonite with two former Generals that said it was wrong that nothing was done to at least attempt to help
in Benghazi and even more, wrong was NO ONE seemed to be on the alert that something might happen!
2) or has a nefarious agenda and none of the agenda items are GOOD for the USA!

They'd all still vote for him again if they could.

Woody Hayes an OLD TIME Ohio State football coach once said ""Only 3 things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad"

Well this Administration has 3 characteristics.. and two of them are bad!
Either Obama is:
1) Incompetent... Watching Geraldo tonite with two former Generals that said it was wrong that nothing was done to at least attempt to help
in Benghazi and even more, wrong was NO ONE seemed to be on the alert that something might happen!
2) or has a nefarious agenda and none of the agenda items are GOOD for the USA!

I like how you think! Woody was awesome! Yeah liberals have basically said it's not Obama's fault, he's too stupid and incompetent to know whats going on!

Absolutely - if there were a US election next week, Obama would still win and Romney would still lose.

Most of the posters on this thread posted the same crap 4 years ago - they were proven wrong then and are likely wrong now.

Until the GOP can come up with some kind of strategy beyond whining, they may never win another election.

A lot of people feel frustrated with Obama - but know full well the GOP has nothing to offer.

Absolutely - if there were a US election next week, Obama would still win and Romney would still lose.

Most of the posters on this thread posted the same crap 4 years ago - they were proven wrong then and are likely wrong now.

Until the GOP can come up with some kind of strategy beyond whining, they may never win another election.

A lot of people feel frustrated with Obama - but know full well the GOP has nothing to offer.

Not really, uh the economy still sucks, all the spending didnt do shit. Obama's administration is beyond corrupt, using the IRS, NSA, and basically every govt agency against your political enemies, hell Hitler would be proud of this presidency.

I'm having a hard time understanding their outrage. As far as I can tell, Congress is the group that authorized these actions and they knew about them. Also, I'm not seeing anything illegal or even on the level of Bush and the warrantless wiretaps.

But I am getting a good laugh over the hypocrite righties who supported Bush's illegal activities but are now melting down over something they themselves signed on for.

I'm having a hard time understanding their outrage. As far as I can tell, Congress is the group that authorized these actions and they knew about them. Also, I'm not seeing anything illegal or even on the level of Bush and the warrantless wiretaps.

But I am getting a good laugh over the hypocrite righties who supported Bush's illegal activities but are now melting down over something they themselves signed on for.

Absolutely - one either supports this kind of surveillance, or one doesn't.

You can't be for it under Bush and against in under Obama.

Personally, I don't like the idea, but if the authorities can prove that the pros outweigh the obvious cons, then I guess it has to be used.

I think the inmates are missing the message of the OP,

which is that it is saying to all you rightwingers who kept claiming that liberals and Democrats would never criticize this President for something they were happy to criticize Bush for...

...well, you people were full of shit.

lol, I love it when the 'nuts hang themselves.

Huggy, did you miss the part in my OP where I was cheering for these Democrats for standing by their convictions and not being hypocrites?

Oh and btw there were many prominent conservatives who were against the Patriot Act.

It's a fallacy that there was conservative support was across the board.

Conservatives Calling for Repeal or Examination of USA PATRIOT Act

Conservatives, who have traditionally stood for limited government and individual liberty, are as concerned about the USA PATRIOT Act and related legislation as liberals. Prominent conservative groups and individuals against the Act include:

Groups:
The Cato Institute
Free Congress Foundation
Patriots to Restore Checks and Balances

Individuals:
Dick Armey, former Republican member of Congress
Bob Barr, former Republican member of Congress (American Conservative Union, Patriots to Restore Checks and Balances)
David Keene (President of the American Conservative Union)
Peyton Knight (American Policy Center)
Grover Norquist (President of Americans for Tax Reform)
Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)
William Safire (columnist for the New York Times)
Phyllis Schlafly (founder of the Eagle Forum)
Lori Waters (Executive Director of the Eagle Forum)

August 10, 2005, Amy Sowder, Pensacola News Journal, Ex-lawmaker blasts Patriot Act: Republican Barr warns of privacy issues

June 15, 2005, Pastor Chuck Baldwin, NewsWithViews.com, Patriot Act is Dismantling Constitutional Guaranteed Liberties

June 13, 2005, Alan Caruba, Canada Free Press, Can Patriots Survive the Patriot Act?

June 12, 2005, Tom Hamburger, Los Angeles Times, Patriot Act Push Angers Some on Right

May 17, 2005, Bob Barr, The Washington Times, Clearing the air on the Patriot Act

April 10, 2005, Nolan Finley, The Detroit News, Five reasons why conservatives should fight the Patriot Act

March 25, 2005, Abid Aslam, OneWorld US, Left-Right Coalition Rises to Oppose USA Patriot Act Provisions

June 3, 2004, Paul M. Weyrich & David Keene, The American Spectator, Oversee the PATRIOT Act

May 31, 2004, Ron Paul, Texas Straight Talk, Freedom vs. Security: A False Choice

May 18, 2004, Bob Barr, Testimony before the House Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security at a Hearing on H.R. 3179, the "Anti-Terrorism Intelligence Tools Improvement Act of 2003"

February 25, 2004, Bob Barr, Washington Times, Attitude Adjustment at TSA

November 11, 2003, Newt Gingrich, San Francisco Chronicle, The Policies of War Refocus the Mission

"We must ensure that the legal tools provided are not abused, and indeed, that they do not undermine the very foundation our country was built upon. . . I strongly believe the Patriot Act was not created to be used in crimes unrelated to terrorism."

August 21, 2003, Timothy Lynch, National Review Online, Patriotic Questions: Addressing the Patriot Act

"Reasonable people can and will disagree about the proper scope of the government's surveillance powers in the post-9/11 environment, but the stakes need to be clearly understood — and that cannot happen when government officials employ doublespeak, such as by using the terms 'liberty' and 'coercion' as if they were interchangeable."

October 20, 2003, Byron York, National Review Online, Norquist and Keene Join Baldwin and Neas

For an example of how threats to civil liberties bring together people and organizations from across the political spectrum, see this sign-on letter opposing the Domestic Security Enhancement Act (aka "Patriot II).

links galore at this link:

BORDC: Conservatives Calling for Repeal or Examination of Patriot Act

Republicans, the party of adolescent convenience. NOW they don't like the intrusion into our lives but after 9/11 it was no big deal.

ha!

No one with a dime's worth of brain processing power even takes the GOP seriously with this sort of crud. Hello, McFly....!!!!... its been a problem for over a decade!!!! Nice to finally see you awaken to reality.

Last edited:

Huggy, did you miss the part in my OP where I was cheering for these Democrats for standing by their convictions and not being hypocrites?

Oh and btw there were many prominent conservatives who were against the Patriot Act.

Conservatives, who have traditionally stood for limited government and individual liberty, are as concerned about the USA PATRIOT Act and related legislation as liberals. Prominent conservative groups and individuals against the Act include:

Groups:
The Cato Institute
Free Congress Foundation

Individuals:
Bob Barr, former Republican member of Congress (American Conservative Union, Patriots to Restore Checks and Balances)
Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

August 10, 2005, Amy Sowder, Pensacola News Journal, Ex-lawmaker blasts Patriot Act: Republican Barr warns of privacy issues

June 15, 2005, Pastor Chuck Baldwin, NewsWithViews.com, Patriot Act is Dismantling Constitutional Guaranteed Liberties

June 13, 2005, Alan Caruba, Canada Free Press, Can Patriots Survive the Patriot Act?

June 12, 2005, Tom Hamburger, Los Angeles Times, Patriot Act Push Angers Some on Right

May 17, 2005, Bob Barr, The Washington Times, Clearing the air on the Patriot Act

April 10, 2005, Nolan Finley, The Detroit News, Five reasons why conservatives should fight the Patriot Act

March 25, 2005, Abid Aslam, OneWorld US, Left-Right Coalition Rises to Oppose USA Patriot Act Provisions

June 3, 2004, Paul M. Weyrich & David Keene, The American Spectator, Oversee the PATRIOT Act

May 31, 2004, Ron Paul, Texas Straight Talk, Freedom vs. Security: A False Choice

May 18, 2004, Bob Barr, Testimony before the House Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security at a Hearing on H.R. 3179, the "Anti-Terrorism Intelligence Tools Improvement Act of 2003"

November 11, 2003, Newt Gingrich, San Francisco Chronicle, The Policies of War Refocus the Mission

"We must ensure that the legal tools provided are not abused, and indeed, that they do not undermine the very foundation our country was built upon. . . I strongly believe the Patriot Act was not created to be used in crimes unrelated to terrorism."

August 21, 2003, Timothy Lynch, National Review Online, Patriotic Questions: Addressing the Patriot Act

"Reasonable people can and will disagree about the proper scope of the government's surveillance powers in the post-9/11 environment, but the stakes need to be clearly understood — and that cannot happen when government officials employ doublespeak, such as by using the terms 'liberty' and 'coercion' as if they were interchangeable."

October 20, 2003, Byron York, National Review Online, Norquist and Keene Join Baldwin and Neas

For an example of how threats to civil liberties bring together people and organizations from across the political spectrum, see this sign-on letter opposing the Domestic Security Enhancement Act (aka "Patriot II).

If anyone was calling for repeal in earnest back then, it would have happened. Especially loud mouth idiots like Norquist, Barr and Army.

I was around then and wondered why nothing was done about the Patriot act as were many Democrats. It just fell by the wayside, came up for sunset and mysteriously stuck around. Now you all blame Democrats..

Go figure..

Groups:
The Cato Institute
Free Congress Foundation

Individuals:
Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

I'm not Huggy and the next time you criticize the overreach of Republicans will be the first time. As will the next time you admit you were creaming your panties over Bush's warrantless wiretapping, even though we all know it is true.

Forum List

Back