George Washington would have refused the Presidency under modern conditions

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
So would anyone else decent.

Because really, all people do to the President nowadays is hurl shit at him all day long.

I'm thinking that's the reason the Democrats don't have one decent candidate. All the good people don't want to put up with the shit of being President.

Of course he wouldn’t

Politics in Washington’s time were much worse than today. Remember Aaron Burr shooting Alexander Hamilton? John Adams was harassed so badly that he passed sedition laws.

Of course he wouldn’t

Politics in Washington’s time were much worse than today. Remember Aaron Burr shooting Alexander Hamilton? John Adams was harassed so badly that he passed sedition laws.

If I remember correctly a couple presidents were shot in the back of the head. :dunno:

Washington would have gone on a murder spree...

Because really, all people do to the President nowadays is hurl shit at him all day long.

I'm thinking that's the reason the Democrats don't have one decent candidate. All the good people don't want to put up with the shit of being President.

At least you finally admit that Trump is not a descent person.

Washington might well have chosen not to run if he had to be tied to a particular political party. But your OP is absurd opining that politics are less civil now than in the 19th century, and to whine that Donny is so put upon after he spewed his lies about Obama's citizenship is beyond hypocrisy.

The Origins of Today's Bitter Partisanship: The Founding Fathers

The fevered competition broke relationships among the Founders. Adams and Jefferson, who had been strong friends during the revolution and later as diplomats in Europe, split bitterly (only to be reconciled years later in their old age). Hamilton and Madison, co-authors of The Federalist Papers, became mortal enemies. And, in the service of their partisan passions, each took actions judged harshly by history. Jefferson was disloyal and duplicitous to Washington (when Secretary of State) and to Adams (when Vice-President). He and Madison supported the violent newspapers of the time. And Hamilton was not only grossly disloyal to Adams (who was not sufficiently anti-Republican) but was a driving force beyond The Alien and Sedition Acts (attempting to suppress Republican speech) and a hare-brained scheme to raise a standing army to protect against a non-existent French invasion.

You clearly know nothing about American history.

So you are admitting that fat donnie isn't decent. Well we all knew that. Anyone who makes fun of the physically handicapped, denigrates former POWs and Gold Star parents, brags about sexually assaulting women and has a known pedophile as a BFF.......but, then. You voted for him.

The election of 1800 was brutal and bitter and nasty.

However, the all time nastiest electoral period in American history were the elections of 1824 and 1828. I guess that it is fitting this followed "The Era of Good Feelings". :)

The election of 1828 was so dirty and low, it killed Andrew Jackson's wife.

The ink wasn't even dry on the Constitution when the country split in two. Federalists and anti-Federalists. And the schism over the slavery issue was baked into that document, and was not settled until 1865.

Of course, after he dies, Washington was treated as a god.
george-washington-ascent-to-heaven.jpg

I say 1824 and 1828 were the worst. That excludes the 1860 election, of course, which led to the Civil War.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Forum List

Back