George Zimmerman's bloody head

About 30% of Southern families owned slaves.

Wrong.
In today's $$$ a slave costs around $45,000 a piece on average and a young female was around $65,000 and a young strong male was as high as $90,000.

Your quote is from a whacky Yahoo statistic that quotes "families"

A family could have 4 brothers with their families, 8 cousins with their families and 11 grandsons with their families for a total of 117 people all "owning" slaves.

Your stats, which only a fool would believe as most Americans do not know anything about statistics, lump all of them together as ONE family.

5 year olds do not own slaves, 12 year olds also but they were counted in the 1860 census as "potential" slave owners.

Only 2 % of southerners that were adults owned slaves.
I'll warn you, arguing with me about Civil War history is a losing venture for you. Know that upfront.

My statistic is correct, and it's not from some "whacky yahoo" site, it's from reputable historians.

If a family owned slaves, they reaped the financial benefit of those slaves. It was considered a household "asset."

Here's some numbers for you to munch on.

Selected Statistics on Slavery in the United States

(unless otherwise noted, all data is as of the 1860 census)

Total number of slaves in the Lower South : 2,312,352 (47% of total population).

Total number of slaves in the Upper South: 1,208758 (29% of total population).

Total number of slaves in the Border States: 432,586 (13% of total population).

Almost one-third of all Southern families owned slaves. In Mississippi and South Carolina it approached one half. The total number of slave owners was 385,000 (including, in Louisiana, some free Negroes).

As for the number of slaves owned by each master, 88% held fewer than twenty, and nearly 50% held fewer than five. (A complete table on slave-owning percentages is given at the bottom of this page.)

For comparison's sake, let it be noted that in the 1950's, only 2% of American families owned corporation stocks equal in value to the 1860 value of a single slave. Thus, slave ownership was much more widespread in the South than corporate investment was in 1950's America.

On a typical plantation (more than 20 slaves) the capital value of the slaves was greater than the capital value of the land and implements.

Slavery was profitable, although a large part of the profit was in the increased value of the slaves themselves. With only 30% of the nation's (free) population, the South had 60% of the "wealthiest men." The 1860 per capita wealth in the South was $3,978; in the North it was $2,040.

Selected Bibliography

1. Battle Cry of Freedom, by James McPherson
  2. Ordeal by Fire, by James McPherson
  3. The Confederate Nation, by Emory Thomas
  4. Civil War Day by Day, by E.B. Long
  5. Ordeal of the Union (8 vols.) by Allan Nevins
  6. Reader's Companion to American History, by Eric Foner and John Garrity

Selected Statistics

Need pictures?

slaveholdingtable.png

In the eleven states that formed the Confederacy, there were in aggregate just over 1 million free households, which between them represented 316,632 slaveholders—meaning that somewhere between one-quarter and one-third of households in the Confederate States counted among its assets at least one human being.

Interesting how the conversation gravitated to this subject from a discussion about the culpability and guilt of George Zimmerman....but it is satisfying to see yet another Confederate flag waving apologist get his ass handed to him.

Wrong.
In today's $$$ a slave costs around $45,000 a piece on average and a young female was around $65,000 and a young strong male was as high as $90,000.

Your quote is from a whacky Yahoo statistic that quotes "families"

A family could have 4 brothers with their families, 8 cousins with their families and 11 grandsons with their families for a total of 117 people all "owning" slaves.

Your stats, which only a fool would believe as most Americans do not know anything about statistics, lump all of them together as ONE family.

5 year olds do not own slaves, 12 year olds also but they were counted in the 1860 census as "potential" slave owners.

Only 2 % of southerners that were adults owned slaves.
I'll warn you, arguing with me about Civil War history is a losing venture for you. Know that upfront.

My statistic is correct, and it's not from some "whacky yahoo" site, it's from reputable historians.

If a family owned slaves, they reaped the financial benefit of those slaves. It was considered a household "asset."

Selected Statistics

Need pictures?

slaveholdingtable.png

In the eleven states that formed the Confederacy, there were in aggregate just over 1 million free households, which between them represented 316,632 slaveholders—meaning that somewhere between one-quarter and one-third of households in the Confederate States counted among its assets at least one human being.

Interesting how the conversation gravitated to this subject from a discussion about the culpability and guilt of George Zimmerman....but it is satisfying to see yet another Confederate flag waving apologist get his ass handed to him.

I was one of the folks that supported the change in the Georgia Flag dumb ass.
We do not wave Confederate flags here as that insults our black brothers.

The last time I saw something like you I flushed it.

Selected Statistics

Need pictures?

slaveholdingtable.png

Considering that Old Glory flew over slavery a lot longer, and even later, that the confederate flag, I would that would be even more offensive.

Considering that Old Glory flew over slavery a lot longer, and even later, that the confederate flag, I would that would be even more offensive.

Good point.

The meaning behind the flag, has changed with time just like it's citizens for whom look to it, and have changed it's meaning in a personal way, that to represent them just as well, so the point was moot (I guess) in concerns of the flags in general. People must always know the meaning of the flags as they have changed over time to represent them now, and not what they may have stood for so many generations before, especially if the meaning was bad during certain time periods, in which was being represented by certain people who were bad also in these time periods.

The confederate flag for example, also took on a new meaning, where as the old one had gone away, but the flag still remained, just like old Glory has also remained as well.

Now what to do with the confederate flag, that is what the southerners were thinking next in concerns of a flag that had no longer any purpose or extremist people to represent, and also no meaning anylonger after the civil war. Many generations have past, and the people for whom have since traveled so far down the road a ways from this time period, have changed big time as well. So they (the southerners) changed it's meaning to represent their rugged country living styles, and to represent hard working country folk, who work hard and play hard (Nascar) afterwards. Many young people see the "rebel flag" as representing their culture in the south (country folk living), and not in the ways for which it was represented during the civil war.

They (the new generation), had adopted the flag, when it had lost it's home and representation for a cause that was represented by a people many years ago, in which for many it was very bad, and thus we have the new generation that has given it a new meaning, but not to include racism or discrimination as a part of it anylonger in the new meaning.

Ok, now with that said, we all know that their are extremist found in any group, and those extremist love to re-use a flag, a person's name or whatever in order to project their extremist views with these associations and beliefs, and that is unfortunate for those who adopted it, and therefore changed it's meaning sometime back, and have been using it for a better cause than what it was used for during the civil war period since. It is the same with the N-word, where as the rappers began to re-use it, but only to change it's meaning, and this in order for it to begin representing something that they feel is cool and brotherly for them (robbing it's sting and power when abused and used in the wrong ways), so when they (the younger blacks) speak it between each other it is good in their opinions, but there are the extremist amongst their group as well, who are opposed to this usage or change, because they fear that it will become loose lipped amongst other extremist, who would try and use it in a bad way also, but then hide behind the new adopted meaning of it (or) the allowance of it's use there of by others in good context of, thus exposing quickly a perp if caught using it in a bad way once the majority had changed it into someting better.

The N-word is just like the rebel flag, both are left over from a period where they were spoken of, and also looked up at in a very bad way, where as they were represented in a bad light when used most all of the time, but both were adopted later on down the road by a better people who had changed their meanings, but the extremist are always trying to take them back for their hateful reasons found within them.

It is important that what people do in order to make things better in America, should be fought for and kept away from those who would use what the good folks have adopted and made better, in a very bad way again.

Old Glory (yes) is a very good example of the changes that have been made over time, and how she represents not a single period in time, but rather she represents the good people found in any given time period for what they wanted her to represent or say for them, and not for the bad people or the extremist who would highjack her, and then try to use her power to somehow hurt with or enslave with..

Last edited:
What kills me are the folks that call me a Confederarte flag waver.
I was born and raised in the south but my parents are both from upstate New York and my older siblings all were born up there. Dad was hired in 1954 to NC and we moved there and I was born.
My politics are fiscal conservative but on all the social issues such as gay this and that, race relations whatever I am as liberal as it gets.

Selected Statistics

Need pictures?

slaveholdingtable.png

An yet here you are arguing the SOS that the Confederate flag stood for. You have no "black brothers", because we see you for what you are by your words and actions. The FACTS make a fool of you, my little Zimmerman zombie. Blather on.

An yet here you are arguing the SOS that the Confederate flag stood for. You have no "black brothers", because we see you for what you are by your words and actions. The FACTS make a fool of you, my little Zimmerman zombie. Blather on.

What am I arguing about promoting slavery which I oppose?
Last night I had dinner and a few beer with a former team mate who happens to be black. We had 2 beers and a mixed drink at the bar after dinner.

My father in the 1960s worked for the College Entrance Examination Board and we lived in Sewanee, Tennessee. His work included going to rural high schools in Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia to make sure blacks were able to take the SAT at their high school as the administrators were not allowing it. So what did Dad and them do? They would not allow ANYONE at those schools to take it unless blacks could also so all of the high schools caved in. And our family heard it from the racists in the community about that also, me about every day at school. They called us ****** lovers but we did what was right.
You could not carry my jock strap concerning support for civil rights you damn fool.

This is the work Dad and scroll down on this article from The Journal Of Black Higher Education and read about them. JBHE: Latest News for 1/29/09

My family was fighting for equal rights for everyone before you were smashing zits on your forehead.

Last edited:

Maybe you're not pro-slavery. But, in a free market, slavery is all the average Afro is worth -- provided that they're kept in check on the crime front.

(I'm only the messenger.)

Maybe you're not pro-slavery. But, in a free market, slavery is all the average Afro is worth -- provided that they're kept in check on the crime front.

(I'm only the messenger.)

How much did that KKK tatoo on your forehead cost?

Is that anyway to be, personal insults in reply to valid points?

ATTENTION ALL LIBERALS: Are any of you in favor of ending all preferences for Afros, and letting the FREE market decide what they're worth? See, Gadawg, they all agree with me.

Last night I had dinner and a few beer with a former team mate who happens to be black. We had 2 beers and a mixed drink at the bar after dinner.

My father in the 1960s worked for the College Entrance Examination Board and we lived in Sewanee, Tennessee. His work included going to rural high schools in Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia to make sure blacks were able to take the SAT at their high school as the administrators were not allowing it. So what did Dad and them do? They would not allow ANYONE at those schools to take it unless blacks could also so all of the high schools caved in. And our family heard it from the racists in the community about that also, me about every day at school. They called us ****** lovers but we did what was right.
You could not carry my jock strap concerning support for civil rights you damn fool.

This is the work Dad and scroll down on this article from The Journal Of Black Higher Education and read about them. JBHE: Latest News for 1/29/09

My family was fighting for equal rights for everyone before you were smashing zits on your forehead.

This ain't about your daddy, genius....this is about YOU pushing the BS found by all Confederate flag flunkies who try to minimize the importance of slavery to the Old South. You were proven WRONG with the FACTS, yet instead of just acknowledging this, you do the usual BS shuffle by regailing us with (alleged) tales of civil rights chivalry and heroism.

Given your Zimmerman zombie status on this thread and this little detour, I ain't buying it. yeah, we've all dealt with the "some my best friends are black" jokers like you....and so long as nothing treads on your personal mental space or in your backyard, you're all for it. But given the BS you've embraced about and around Zimmerman on this thread, no one is buying your BS. Get stuffed.

What if some of your best friends are black? Does that make you a racist? What if you're dating someone who's black? Do you stop being racist then? If you're not really "dating" her, you just hook up for casual sex, and then ignore her calls for days, do you become a born-again racist? What if you're Hispanic? Does that trump all the other things? If you're a black woman whose having sex with a white Hispanic, are you now tri-racial?

This ain't about your daddy, genius....this is about YOU pushing the BS found by all Confederate flag flunkies who try to minimize the importance of slavery to the Old South. You were proven WRONG with the FACTS, yet instead of just acknowledging this, you do the usual BS shuffle by regailing us with (alleged) tales of civil rights chivalry and heroism.

Given your Zimmerman zombie status on this thread and this little detour, I ain't buying it. yeah, we've all dealt with the "some my best friends are black" jokers like you....and so long as nothing treads on your personal mental space or in your backyard, you're all for it. But given the BS you've embraced about and around Zimmerman on this thread, no one is buying your BS. Get stuffed.

Hmmm does this mean that whites truly never have black friends, but rather they just tolerate them as so called friends, in order to be accepted in certain circles, or to get a point accross in code, otherwise doing so while hiding behind some of their so called black friends ? Can whites according to you even have black friends ? I bet not according to you. Just sayin..:eusa_whistle:

Never said a damn thing to minimize the importance of slavery in the south dumb ass.
I stated MOST southerners did not own slaves.
You are about as dumb as a box of rocks as the "facts" you go by were census data where the northern states wanted less representation in Congress and low balled 2 census figures in a row.
The funny thing is my family IS FROM NEW YORK you dumb fuck. Out of 4 kids I am the only one that was born in the south. All of my relatives fought for the Union Army you fool.
Get your head out of your ass and quit prejudging others.
I grew up during integration and played on some of the first integrated teams.
I read you loud and clear. To you ANYONE that wants a fair trial for Zimmerman is a racist.
You are the one that is prejudiced and ignorant.
I was supporting equal rights for everyone before your punk ass was born.

What if some of your best friends are black? Does that make you a racist? What if you're dating someone who's black? Do you stop being racist then? If you're not really "dating" her, you just hook up for casual sex, and then ignore her calls for days, do you become a born-again racist? What if you're Hispanic? Does that trump all the other things? If you're a black woman whose having sex with a white Hispanic, are you now tri-racial?

Middle, we disagree a lot but that is a good post!
LOL, I read it 8 times and it was funnier the 8th time than the 7th.
:clap2::clap2:
We have gays and mixed families in my large family. The food at holidays IS KILLER!
Just kidding as it has made a stronger family.

FYI: the phrase "some of my best friends are black" became popular in the 1960's during the Civil Rights movement...whites who only interacted with black folk on the most basic level (i.e., the job) and claimed to be "liberals" would suddenly come unglued if black folk moved into their neighborhood, or utilizing public facilities and such in their neighborhoods where narry a black person could be found, or if black folk supported causes that upset the status quo and becoame too "radical" (i.e., the March on Washington in 1968).

Hope this clarifies things for you, and prevents any future grade school attempts at sarcasm and mocking on your part.

Hmmm does this mean that whites truly never have black friends, but rather they just tolerate them as so called friends, in order to be accepted in certain circles, or to get a point accross in code, otherwise doing so while hiding behind some of their so called black friends ? Can whites according to you even have black friends ? I bet not according to you. Just sayin..:eusa_whistle:

You would lose that bet, because I never stated, alluded to, suggested or insinuated what you are putting forth here. I'm pointing out the FACT that Gadawgs initial and slanderous statements about the Martin family on this thread is parallel to the prejudiced notions voiced by the rabid bigots and racists on this thread. Seems that you're just saying nothing Beagle9, yet just whistling dixie! :badgrin:

Never said a damn thing to minimize the importance of slavery in the south dumb ass.
You are about as dumb as a box of rocks as the "facts" you go by were census data where the northern states wanted less representation in Congress and low balled 2 census figures in a row.
The funny thing is my family IS FROM NEW YORK you dumb fuck. Out of 4 kids I am the only one that was born in the south. All of my relatives fought for the Union Army you fool.
I read you loud and clear. To you ANYONE that wants a fair trial for Zimmerman is a racist.

The chronololgy of the posts shows what was said regarding slavery (minimizing the actual numbers of slave owners and such)...you were given information that proved your initial statements wrong, and now you try to BS over the FACT that you were proven WRONG.

The chronlogy of the posts show you making slanderous assertions about the Martin family, that I ponted out were prejudiced in their formation.

I'm dealing with what you post here, toodles...I don't give a rat's ass about your alleged family history or personal friends. The chronology of the post nails yhou for an intellectually dishonest Zimmerman Zombie, with a little racial prejudice on the side. You can deny and lie all you want but the chronology of the post will always be your undoing to the objective, rational reader.

Now, run-a-long and repeat your BS ad nauseum for the cretins that you think you're above. Gaddawg you're delusional! Carry on.

Last edited:

The chronololgy of the posts shows what was said regarding slavery (minimizing the actual numbers of slave owners and such)...you were given information that proved your initial statements wrong, and now you try to BS over the FACT that you were proven WRONG.

The chronlogy of the posts show you making slanderous assertions about the Martin family, that I ponted out were prejudiced in their formation.

I'm dealing with what you post here, toodles...I don't give a rat's ass about your alleged family history or personal friends. The chronology of the post nails yhou for an intellectually dishonest Zimmerman Zombie, with a little racial prejudice on the side. You can deny and lie all you want but the chronology of the post will always be your undoing to the objective, rational reader.

Now, run-a-long and repeat your BS ad nauseum for the cretins that you think you're above. Gaddawg you're delusional! Carry on.

"intellectually dishonest Zimmerman Zombie with a little prejudice on the side"
You are the one prejudging. I was playing with black kids in the 60s and 70s on teams where we all got along fine.
Not a bigoted or prejudiced bone in my body. You will not find anyone on USMB that supports equal rights for everyone MORE than me.
You are the anti Zimmerman Zombie. I want a fair trial and have stated from the start that he IS guilty of involuntary manslaughter, the family WILL win also in the civil caseasTHEY SHOULD WIN that case.
But if THE LAW, which you could care less about, is interpreted he stood his ground then the LAW sets him free.
We are a nation OF LAWS, not people like you with their narrow and ignorant BELIEFS.

Forum List

Back