German speakers alcove!!!

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
0,,4487112_4,00.jpg

As members are noticing, I am fluent in German. During the last two weeks I have encountered many members who indeed speak or understand German and have written some wonderful comments to me in German. That is just totally cool.

At the Tavern -down in the Rubber Room- I threw out the idea to have a thread where German speaking members can hang out.

Here are the simple rules, so that we don't break USMB rules in any way:

Gespräche auf Deutsch, aber eine englische Übersetzung muss auch dabei sein.
Conversations in German, but an English translation must also accompany it.

Fachwörter, Fremdwörter und idiomatische Ausdrücke können hier erklärt werden.
Words related to specific trades, foreign words that have been adjusted to the German language and idomatic phrases can all be explained here.

Was die unterschiedlichste Deutschen Dialekte angeht, können wir sicherlich eine Unmenge Spaß haben.
Differences in German dialects and the fun we can have with them.

Anyone in USMB who has a question about a specific German word or phrase, possibly a double meaning or double entendre, can feel free to ask here. Either I or whomever is on at that moment can surely help. It is sometimes much better than just looking up a word online, for many words can only be really understood in context of their usage in normal High German. Plus, it's just fun!

NO FLAMING!!!

I think it would also be terrific if some native French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, etc. speakers would also start their own alcoves. I think this would really enrich USMB and let people have a lot of fun.

You would not believe how many members have PM'd me with things like (and I am paraphrasing, here), "I served in Germany and remember some of it", or "my Grandma was German and always swore in German when she was mad" or "my wife/husband/S.O. is German and is looking for someone to write in German to". The cool and postive resonance I have gotten from people from simply writing a couple of lines in German just for fun has been just amazing. So, why not capitalize on it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more thing, a very important thing:

This thead is in no way about the dark history of Germany from 1933-1945. You can enjoy a language without always having to connect it to a war. Yes, Germany started that evil, awful war, and they spoke German, but the German language is also the language of Goethe, Bach, Beethoven and Nietsche, just to name a few... enjoying a language is not the equivalent of endorsing a former ideology.

So, have fun. Mods: I hope this thread is in the right place. We need a language sub-forum in USMB!

I will throw out a mention list in the second posting.

-Stat

Last edited:
  • Banned
[MENTION=23424]syrenn[/MENTION]

[MENTION=31362]gallantwarrior[/MENTION]

[MENTION=34247]sfcalifornia[/MENTION]

[MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION]

[MENTION=41102]Bleipriester[/MENTION]

[MENTION=24208]Spoonman[/MENTION]

[MENTION=45717]BlackSand[/MENTION]

This list is by far not complete, but it is at least at start. Hey, guys, can you pass the word to others who might enjoy a word or two in German?

Last edited:
  • Banned
Falls ihr eine Englishtastatur habt und die Umlaute schreiben wollt, hier gibt's ein Trick dabei:

If you are using an English keypad and want to write the so-called "Umlaut"s - here is an easy trick to do it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmaNJ5dLwE]Write umlaut a (ä) and o (ö) with Alt+
Code:
 - YouTube[/ame]

• Banned
Ich werde eins dieser Filmchen pro Tag hier in USMB posten.

I will post one of these small films per day in USMB:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NXDM9XXhQ4&list=PL3936178A38BB5F87&index=42]Easy German Episode 1 - Hallo! - YouTube[/ame]

Schoen guten Tag Statistikhengst! Meine Tastatur ist kaputtgegangen (die Nummer Sechs und Neun funktioniernen nicht richtig LOL), also muß ich manchmal die Buchstabe "e" benutzen. Zwar muß ich eine neue Tastatur kaufen aber...... naja, es liegt noch auf meiner to-do Liste :)

Hast Du den Mods gefragt, ob wir wirklich alles übersetzen mußen, was wir hier schreiben? Wenn ja, dann werde ich das sicher tun. Es wäre schoen, wenn wir alles im Geheimnis schreiben koennen! LOL

I could be getting confused with another forum...but I believe it is against forum rules to post in a foreign language?

• Banned
I could be getting confused with another forum...but I believe it is against forum rules to post in a foreign language?

[MENTION=24610]iamwhatiseem[/MENTION]

Zumal erst, willkommen bei uns im Thread!

First, welcome to the thread!!

Wenn eine sofortige Übersetzung zu dem, was auf Deutsch geschrieben wurde, parat steht, dann sollte es nie ein Problem geben. Von den Mods here in USMB have kein negatives Feedback bekommen, also gehe davon aus, daß das hier total ok ist. Ich habe aber nicht zuerst gefragt, meist weill ich unbedingt nicht willl, daß die Mods langsam denken, daß ich wegen jedes einzelnen Klacks dahin renne. Hier sind wir alle Erwachsene und es sollte für die Mods ersichtlich sein, daß meine Absichten rein sind.

If an immediate translation is provided, then that should never be a problem. I have recieved no negative resonance from any mods over this, so I am assuming that this thread is good to go. I did not ask first, mostly because I don't want mods to think I am running to them for everything. We are adults here and they know that my intentions are good.

Auf den meisten Englischsprachigenforums reagieren die Mods gegen Fremdsprachen ziemlich allergisch, aber nur weill es denen völlig unmöglich ist, sowas zu moderieren, es sei denn, einer der Mods der besagten Fremdsprache mächtig ist. Zudem soll das hier ein Spaß sein.

Most forums are adverse to foreign language threads, simply because that are impossible to moderate, unless of course a mod is fluent in the language in question. Here, if we provide immediate translations, then that problem is removed. And it should be a lot of fun.

---------------------------------------

Let the fun begin!!!

Last edited:
  • Banned
Schoen guten Tag Statistikhengst! Meine Tastatur ist kaputtgegangen (die Nummer Sechs und Neun funktioniernen nicht richtig LOL), also muß ich manchmal die Buchstabe "e" benutzen. Zwar muß ich eine neue Tastatur kaufen aber...... naja, es liegt noch auf meiner to-do Liste :)

Hast Du den Mods gefragt, ob wir wirklich alles übersetzen mußen, was wir hier schreiben? Wenn ja, dann werde ich das sicher tun. Es wäre schoen, wenn wir alles im Geheimnis schreiben koennen! LOL

Jo, grüß Dich, Kumpel!

Yo, greets, bud!

Es ist auch immer erlaubt mit dem "e", ein Umlaut zu ersetzen, ist ja kein großes Ding. Nein, ich habe die Mods nicht gefragt, sondern, ich mache es hier zur Bedingungen, damit die Mods und auch diejenigen, die Deutsch NICHT können, Einblick hier verschaffen können und vielleicht mit der Zeit was dazu lernen können.

It's always allowed to use the "e" to substitute for an "Umlaut" (ä,ö,ü), it's not a big deal. Nope, I didn't ask the mods if it is necessary, I am simply making it prerequiste for the thread so that the mods and anyone else who CANNOT speak or write German gets a good insight to what we are doing and maybe with time, can learn something along that way.

Es tat mir gut, von Dir zu hören!

It was good to hear from you!

-Stat

Continuation from posting no 2, here is little film 2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WdZngBxBk]Easy German 2 - Der Weg zur Beringstraße - YouTube[/ame]

In this film, the guy asks many people the way to an imaginary street in the city of Münster, a street that doesn't even exist.

If you are non-german speaker and just watch the film, you will be amazed at how many small words you can pick up. These small films are excellent for this stuff!

Hallo, zusammen.
Hier eine weitere Möglichkeit, Umlaute zu nutzen.
ladet euch das Übersetzungstool ding der Technischen Universität Chemnitz runter.
Hier: File-Upload.net - ding.zip

Entpackt das Archiv und öffnet die Verknüpfung English-Deutsch. Sodann verweist ihr auf die Datei wish.exe im Ordner bin. Unter Einstellungen/Suchmethoden gebt bitte den Ort an, wo sich die zwei Content-Dateien befinden. Es gibt eine kleine mit etwa 7 und eine große mit etwa 28 MB. Bei mir ist das E:\Install\Programme\Sonstiges\ding. Das müßt ihr konfigurieren. Beachtet dabei, daß ihr die einzelnen Fenster dabei auf eine leere Fläche zieht, sonst werden sie vom Hauptfenster überdeckt. Unter Einstellungen/Allgemein könnt ihr das Programm auf Englisch stellen. Unter Einstellungen/Umlautknöpfe anzeigen zeigt ihr die Buttons mit den Umlauten an, die ihr dann überall nutzen könnt.

Das sieht dann so aus:
znw1.jpg

Last edited:
Hallo, zusammen.
Hier eine weitere Möglichkeit, Umlaute zu nutzen.
ladet euch das Übersetzungstool ding der Technischen Universität Chemnitz runter.
Hier: File-Upload.net - ding.zip

Entpackt das Archiv und öffnet die Verknüpfung English-Deutsch. Sodann verweist ihr auf die Datei wish.exe im Ordner bin. Unter Einstellungen/Suchmethoden gebt bitte den Ort an, wo sich die zwei Content-Dateien befinden. Es gibt eine kleine mit etwa 7 und eine große mit etwa 28 MB. Bei mir ist das E:\Install\Programme\Sonstiges\ding. Das müßt ihr konfigurieren. Beachtet dabei, daß ihr die einzelnen Fenster dabei auf eine leere Fläche zieht, sonst werden sie vom Hauptfenster überdeckt. Unter Einstellungen/Allgemein könnt ihr das Programm auf Englisch stellen. Unter Einstellungen/Umlautknöpfe anzeigen zeigt ihr die Buttons mit den Umlauten an, die ihr dann überall nutzen könnt.

Das sieht dann so aus:
znw1.jpg

Danke.

Alles klar bei Dir dort unten? :) :)

Das es ninen boobies!

[MENTION=30820]Moonglow[/MENTION]

Guter Versuch, junger Mann, guter Versuch!!!
(Good try, young man, good try!).

Boobies - in German: Titten.

Hoffe, daß das Dir hilft.
Hope that that helps you. :)

Mi alemán no es muy bueno.

Oops, wrong language.

Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut.

There, that's better.

Forum List

Back