Get your Armor of God pajamas

hell those jammies are a lot better for kids than the "Now I lay me down to sleep" prayer that has convinced thousands of children that they would not be waking up in the morning.

"And if I die before I wake" (And we wonder why kids have nightmares)

Now THAT"S creepy

Just as creepy as the Noah's Ark story. People decorate their kid's bedrooms with warm fuzzy pictures of animals walking onto the Ark but it was actually the earth's first holocaust (that is if you believe the story) where innocent men women and children were drowned by an allegedly benevolent god.
heh, it'd be cool if someone decorated their kid's room with people and animals drowning in a swirl of flood water. Babies floating dead, screaming people climbing up trees to try to escape, bloated animal corpses...I wonder if I can sell this idea to Christian households?

Well the flood story also implies that every single person except Noah and his small family was wicked, evil and debased. i think we can surmise that that assumption would have been as untrue then as it is today.

I think a mistake a lot of people make is to take the stories literally. I don't believe they were ever intended that way, they were a way to express ideas and concepts.

But we see this all the time, don't we? Who ever screams the loudest is the one heard, and it's always the nutcases. So if you're not a Christian and you're looking in from the outside all you're likely to hear is the nonsense. Biblical scholars haven't taken the ark story literally for over 100 years, but here we are in the 21st century and non-believers still think that Christians must be crazy to believe it.

Let's take homosexuality as an example. I don't like it, it sickens me. I find it as detestable as pedophilia. But if I use the words "homosexual" and "pedophile" closely together there will be a rush of people telling me that I have an incorrect assumption about gays being pedophiles. They will know in their heart that I simply don't understand what it is to be gay. If that's you, then you know the feeling I'm talking about. Well, that's the same feeling I get when I hear the uninformed talk about religion. The assumptions I see made by non-believers are simply ridiculous and make any sort of discussion very difficult.

It’s true that some Christians believe that the Bible is just a collection of parables, stories, fables and fairy tales designed to serve as an optional guide for living. But, even among biblical scholars there is still a lively debate about whether or not the Bible is inerrant. So the question is hardly settled.

Apparently, you count yourself in the “guidebook” camp. While I am firmly in the “inerrancy” camp. Unfortunately, we'll probably never come to any sort of agreement. Heck, even the Biblical scholars are at impasse.

Nevertheless, the way I see it, this subtle cultural shift from the inerrancy position is responsible for the notion that homosexuality is OK because the commands of the Bible aren’t really serious. Its now OK for an elementary school teacher to embark on a course of indoctrination on the homosexual "lifestyle" with 4th graders under the guise of anti-discrimination education. Homosexuality is depicted as something fun and positive to the children!

The current debate about the application of hate crimes legislation to preachers who espouse the Biblical prohibition against homosexuality is a symptom of the relaxation of Biblical principals among Christians. Once they arrive at the “guidebook” position, it then becomes much easier to excuse their own misbehavior, sin, and the misbehavior of others, in the mistaken notion that they won’t really have to pay for it on the other side anyways. Gnosticism, which has been enjoying revival of late, being an even deeper perversion of this trend, in which so-called Christians take the position that there no such thing as sin. The next step is inevitable...to accept without dispute the idea that such preachers can or should be silenced or worse punished for thier preaching.

At the risk of sounding trite, the unfortunate truth is that the Christians who have compromised their principles and those that never really got it to start with are all in for a terrible awakening come Judgment Day. The Bible clearly says that those who never receive the Word won’t be judged nearly as harshly as those who were given it and ignored or minimized it.

Last edited:
I think a mistake a lot of people make is to take the stories literally. I don't believe they were ever intended that way, they were a way to express ideas and concepts.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, what exactly do you believe that God intended to express through the Flood story?

Biblical scholars haven't taken the ark story literally for over 100 years, but here we are in the 21st century and non-believers still think that Christians must be crazy to believe it

Fundamentalist scholars and pastor still promote the idea of a literal worldwide flood and attempt to use science to promote this idea.

They will know in their heart that I simply don't understand what it is to be gay. If that's you, then you know the feeling I'm talking about. Well, that's the same feeling I get when I hear the uninformed talk about religion. The assumptions I see made by non-believers are simply ridiculous and make any sort of discussion very difficult.

I grew up fundamentalist Southern Baptist, attended William Jewell, met a nice boy, married him, and converted to the LDS faith for him. Deconverted, went back to being S. Baptist. Taught Sunday School for 10 years, total, before realizing that Christianity simply did not make sense for me. The more I studied, the less sense it made.

I'm pretty sure that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to religion. I understand what it means to be a true believer. Do YOU understand what it means to be a non-believer? Do you have any concept of what it's like to leave fundamentalism? Have you ever lived ANYWHERE but in a place surrounded by a Christian majority?

My children are both in thier thirties and we don't yet have grandchildren. But, I think I'm going to order a pair or two of these kid's PJ's anyway and give them to a deserving family...

:eusa_angel:

Last edited:
Just as creepy as the Noah's Ark story. People decorate their kid's bedrooms with warm fuzzy pictures of animals walking onto the Ark but it was actually the earth's first holocaust (that is if you believe the story) where innocent men women and children were drowned by an allegedly benevolent god.

You'd think if you didn't like something as much as you seem to dislike religion you'd at least bother to get to know it so you could dislike it from an informed position.

God is supposed to have destroyed his creation because of the wickedness of the people you referred to as innocent.

I don't know what your experience with religion is, maybe you've had some bad ones and that has turned you against it. But reading your posts it's obvious that you really don't understand the concept of God and aren't familiar with the stories.

Can God be benevolent AND destroy creation? of course. Can a parent be benevolent AND discipline a child? Of course. Your views, at least the way you present them here, are simplistic and serve your perception, but they aren't accurate. You can disagree with the teachings all you want and I wouldn't have a problem with respecting your opinion, but first you really should get a handle on what it is you're disagreeing with.

You swallow that claptrap hook line and sinker and say my views are simplistic? What did ALL of the flood victims do to deserve drowning to death?
Your comparison of god killing people in a flood is hardly the same as a parent disciplining a child (unless you're talking about parents that murder their children for making simple errors). It also contradicts the idea that god is in control of everything. What kind of scumbag deity would design and create a being that he knows will make errors and then kill them for making those errors?

We haven't even touched on the dozens of inconsistencies in the Noah story.

Well the flood story also implies that every single person except Noah and his small family was wicked, evil and debased. i think we can surmise that that assumption would have been as untrue then as it is today.

But we see this all the time, don't we? Who ever screams the loudest is the one heard, and it's always the nutcases. So if you're not a Christian and you're looking in from the outside all you're likely to hear is the nonsense. Biblical scholars haven't taken the ark story literally for over 100 years, but here we are in the 21st century and non-believers still think that Christians must be crazy to believe it.

Let's take homosexuality as an example. I don't like it, it sickens me. I find it as detestable as pedophilia. But if I use the words "homosexual" and "pedophile" closely together there will be a rush of people telling me that I have an incorrect assumption about gays being pedophiles. They will know in their heart that I simply don't understand what it is to be gay. If that's you, then you know the feeling I'm talking about. Well, that's the same feeling I get when I hear the uninformed talk about religion. The assumptions I see made by non-believers are simply ridiculous and make any sort of discussion very difficult.

FYI, I know the bible stories are just that - stories, but there are quite a number of christians who take the bible literally. The entire creationism movement does. If you acknowledge that they are just stories, then why did you object to my post and defend god for killing people?

That's true, it's not Christians you have anything against per se, it's people that have faith in general that you find ridiculous.

No, it is people who push their faith (any faith) to ridiculous extremes who I find amusing. A large part of my circle of friends and coworkers are christian and I respect their beliefs because they don't make a spectacle of it and they respect the beliefs or non-beliefs of others.

So you spend what is apparently a considerable chunk of your time here

What is "apparently a considerable chunk of time" in your opinion? How did you arrive that this conclusion?

in a discussion of religion ridiculing the beliefs of folks about whom you know absolutely nothing, and about which you obviously know little!

Can you point to a post I've made where I attacked someone without their first posting something about themselves and their religion that I responded to?? If your claim is accurate, then you should be able to. Good luck.

Sounds to me as if you have a far deeper problem than you’re willing to reveal or admit.

I'll take that ad hominem attack as your white flag.

No, it is people who push their faith (any faith) to ridiculous extremes who I find amusing. A large part of my circle of friends and coworkers are christian and I respect their beliefs because they don't make a spectacle of it and they respect the beliefs or non-beliefs of others.

So you spend what is apparently a considerable chunk of your time here

What is "apparently a considerable chunk of time" in your opinion? How did you arrive that this conclusion?

in a discussion of religion ridiculing the beliefs of folks about whom you know absolutely nothing, and about which you obviously know little!

Can you point to a post I've made where I attacked someone without their first posting something about themselves and their religion that I responded to?? If your claim is accurate, then you should be able to. Good luck.

Sounds to me as if you have a far deeper problem than you’re willing to reveal or admit.

White flag??? If you interpreted my observation about your problem as an attack, I apologize. It wasn’t meant to be one.

Perhaps you’re a little oversensitive about your problem and this is your way of compensating. I don’t know. But, I truly pray that you’re able to resolve it eventually, especially before you pass away.

This discussion is interesting to me. So I have been following it and taking my part in it. But, I hardly consider it a battle to be won or from which to surrender. And, because I’ve found it so engrossing, I’ve probably ignored other responsibilities wrongly. Although I know I should strive toward that goal, I know I’m not perfect.

Just the same, I admit that I’ve spent a considerable chunk of my time here, and you’ve been posting pretty much as often as I have or maybe more, I haven’t actually taken an accounting…

God Bless You! ;)

Last edited:

White flag??? If you interpreted my observation about your problem as an attack, I apologize. It wasn’t meant to be one.

Perhaps you’re a little oversensitive about your problem and this is your way of compensating. I don’t know. But, I truly pray that you’re able to resolve it eventually, especially before you pass away.

You say your comment wasn't meant to be an attack and then you make another attack. Interesting.
I guess you're ignoring the rest of my post means that you won't be providing me with evidence that I attack people who I "know absolutely nothing about"?

If you interpreted my observation about your problem as an attack, I apologize. It wasn’t meant to be one.

Perhaps you’re a little oversensitive about your problem and this is your way of compensating. I don’t know. But, I truly pray that you’re able to resolve it eventually, especially before you pass away. ;)

I'm sorry that you lack the mental capacity and emotional strength to get through life without an invisible friend.

I'm sorry if you interpret this as a personal attack. It wasn't meant to be one. Please don't be oversensitive. I hope you are able to overcome your unhealthy dependence on imaginary beings before you pass away. ;)

If you interpreted my observation about your problem as an attack, I apologize. It wasn’t meant to be one.

Perhaps you’re a little oversensitive about your problem and this is your way of compensating. I don’t know. But, I truly pray that you’re able to resolve it eventually, especially before you pass away. ;)

I'm sorry that you lack the mental capacity and emotional strength to get through life without an invisible friend.

I'm sorry if you interpret this as a personal attack. It wasn't meant to be one. Please don't be oversensitive. I hope you are able to overcome your unhealthy dependence on imaginary beings before you pass away. ;)

You must have thought I was talking to you. I wasn't!

You must have thought I was talking to you. I wasn't!

You're posting on a public message board. Hence, you're talking to all of us. I simply turned your tactics around on you so you could (perhaps) understand why YWN considered your words a personal attack (justifiably so).

hell those jammies are a lot better for kids than the "Now I lay me down to sleep" prayer that has convinced thousands of children that they would not be waking up in the morning.

Now THAT"S creepy

ACtually, it's a very comforting prayer, particularly for children who have night terrors or fear death. And many children do. My children are comforted by the thought that although everyone dies, and they will die eventually, we will live forever with our Lord and each other in heaven.

Children grapple with death at a very young age, and I've never heard one tell me that that prayer terrifies them.

-edit-

you started this thread mocking the fundies.
easy.jpg

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, what exactly do you believe that God intended to express through the Flood story?

I'm not interested in having my personal beliefs debated, picked apart or analyzed. In a different kind of forum I would be more than happy to share, but not here. I don't think that's the purpose and it's not something I want to pursue.

Fundamentalist scholars and pastor still promote the idea of a literal worldwide flood and attempt to use science to promote this idea.
And like I said, it's the ones that yell the loudest and say the most outrageous things that get heard. Science is hardly on the side of fundamentalists.

I grew up fundamentalist Southern Baptist, attended William Jewell, met a nice boy, married him, and converted to the LDS faith for him. Deconverted, went back to being S. Baptist. Taught Sunday School for 10 years, total, before realizing that Christianity simply did not make sense for me. The more I studied, the less sense it made.

I visited WJ but I'll probably end up at Park or UMKC. But back to the point...

I agree with you that Christianity (as it's typically presented) doesn't make a lot of sense. I think that one reason that the literalists get so testy is they are deeply invested in something that when shown to be wrong makes them look foolish. So they fight very hard to keep that faith. And it isn't hard to make points that literalists have difficulty answering.

I'm pretty sure that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to religion. I understand what it means to be a true believer. Do YOU understand what it means to be a non-believer? Do you have any concept of what it's like to leave fundamentalism? Have you ever lived ANYWHERE but in a place surrounded by a Christian majority?

I don't understand what you're looking for... if I answer wrong do you get to go "Aha!"? I'm not sure why knowing what it's like to leave fundamentalism would make any difference, but uh... yeah, I do kinda know. I was raised Baptist and although I still attend a Baptist church my personal beliefs have drifted pretty far from the Baptist ideal.

I've only lived in the midwest, but I've visited other places. We have extended family all over the country. But I wonder if there's anyplace in the US where you could live and not be surrounded by a Christian majority. I would like to visit other countries and learn more about their religions. Here in KC I've visited the Hindu temple in Shawnee when they got a new Ganesha statue. I've stayed at an ashram in Colorado for a week. I haven't found a mosque to visit because I don't know any Muslims. I stop by the metaphysical bookstore on Broadway (can't think of the name...) from time to time.

I'm not sure why any of this was important but if it establishes my credibility for not being a fundie wack job I guess it was a good thing.

Science is on the side of fundamentalists, and many of our top scientists believed in God:

The #1 pediatric brain surgeon at Johns Hopkins, for example.
#2 Nicholas Copernicus (1473-1543)
#3Albert Einstein (1879-1955) A famous saying of his was "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
#4Isaac Newton (1642-1727)
#5Robert Boyle (1791-1867)
#6Michael Faraday (1791-1867)
#7Gregor Mendel (1822-1884)
Mendel was the first to lay the mathematical foundations of genetics, in what came to be called "Mendelianism"
#8William Thomson Kelvin (1824-1907)
Kelvin was foremost among the small group of British scientists who helped to lay the foundations of modern physics.
#9Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
#10 William Phillips (co-recipient of the Nobel prize for physics in 1997)
#11 Francis Collins, the director of the Human Genome Project
#12 Henry Fritz Schaefer, one of the foremost theoretical chemists of today
#13 Rustum Roy, one of the world's foremost materials scientists, who holds three chairs at Penn State.

I'm sure they're all retarded wackjobs, since that seems to be the consensus.

Now THAT"S creepy

ACtually, it's a very comforting prayer, particularly for children who have night terrors or fear death. And many children do. My children are comforted by the thought that although everyone dies, and they will die eventually, we will live forever with our Lord and each other in heaven.

Children grapple with death at a very young age, and I've never heard one tell me that that prayer terrifies them.

well speaking for myself, that prayer scared the shit out of me.

I certainly didn't want to die nor did i want anyone to take my soul. So many nights i fought sleep and stayed up as long as I could. I figured of I fell asleep during the day, someone would see that god was taking my soul and would wake me up before i was dead.

Now you know one of the reasons why I was kicked out of catechism when I was 8. the priest just couldn't handle an young skeptic such as myself.

Science is on the side of fundamentalists, and many of our top scientists believed in God:

The #1 pediatric brain surgeon at Johns Hopkins, for example.
#2 Nicholas Copernicus (1473-1543)
#3Albert Einstein (1879-1955) A famous saying of his was "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
#4Isaac Newton (1642-1727)
#5Robert Boyle (1791-1867)
#6Michael Faraday (1791-1867)
#7Gregor Mendel (1822-1884)
Mendel was the first to lay the mathematical foundations of genetics, in what came to be called "Mendelianism"
#8William Thomson Kelvin (1824-1907)
Kelvin was foremost among the small group of British scientists who helped to lay the foundations of modern physics.
#9Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
#10 William Phillips (co-recipient of the Nobel prize for physics in 1997)
#11 Francis Collins, the director of the Human Genome Project
#12 Henry Fritz Schaefer, one of the foremost theoretical chemists of today
#13 Rustum Roy, one of the world's foremost materials scientists, who holds three chairs at Penn State.

I'm sure they're all retarded wackjobs, since that seems to be the consensus.

I didn't make my comment to offend, but if you take the creation sequence given in the Bible it doesn't work according to science, the events happen in the wrong order. I'm not saying that scientists can't or don't believe in God, I'm sure many do. I'm saying I don't think you'll find very many scientists that are also fundamentalists.

Not to seem off topic now, but as far as PJ's go...they are just PJ's. I am 35 years old and I love my SpongeBob PJ's, and as it has happened, my kids had friends stay over, and I wore my PJ's :tongue:

I do understand the irritant behind seeing kids in clothes or night clothes that seem to display what a adult thinks (Like the kid has no idea what they are wearing or represent...ex. I've seen demonstrators at Abortion Clinics with kids beside them with tape on their mouth, and signs that only a adult could of wrote, and bewildered faces on the kids..like "I wish I was out playing with my friends right now!'..lol) The same irritant, I suppose, would be with very religious people seeing kids with 'Pokemon' PJ's, being I seen already three neighbor's of mine get outraged at the mention of this cartoon my kids happened to like...I just brush that crap off...lol it's a CARTOON!!

Forum List

Back