Getting my Fudd on......1967 Browning BAR in .30-06

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked this one up Tuesday and just got around to shooting it today.....I gave $650.00 for it.

First year production Belgian made Browning BAR Grade I in .30-06. w/a like vintage 3 X 9 X 40 Redfield scope on it. It came with 97 rounds of 180 gr Federal fodder.

bar 001 (2).JPG

For it's time the scope is still clear/bright with the plain medium crosshairs I like but it lacks the coating of more modern scopes...That said it serves.

It was pretty much already sighted-in with the 180gr fodder and all I had to do was adjust the focus ring to my eyes. i pretty much set all variables on 5X and leave them be.

It shoots light's out with 100 yard groups coming in under .50".....I've always heard they were very accurate for a semi-auto but it surprised me. Recoil is mild for a .30-06.

Excellent trigger (3.25#) and the action is as smooth as butter.....22" barrel. It uses plain French Walnut wood, it's a excellent gunstock wood but it's gets a yellowish hue to it as it ages. 22-line cut checkering.

It's no lightweight at near 9# as pictured but you don't feel it much in-hand due to the excellent balance.

That said 9# is 9# when you are carrying it. ;)

While the Belgian-made examples can bring a bit more they are not really a collectable rife (except for the higher grades). It's more of a user's rifle where a hunter wants a really nice semi-auto with bolt action accuracy.

I picked this one up Tuesday and just got around to shooting it today.....I gave $650.00 for it.

First year production Belgian made Browning BAR Grade I in .30-06. w/a like vintage 3 X 9 X 40 Redfield scope on it. It came with 97 rounds of 180 gr Federal fodder.

View attachment 782572
For it's time the scope is still clear/bright with the plain medium crosshairs I like but it lacks the coating of more modern scopes...That said it serves.

It was pretty much already sighted-in with the 180gr fodder and all I had to do was adjust the focus ring to my eyes. i pretty much set all variables on 5X and leave them be.

It shoots light's out with 100 yard groups coming in under .50".....I've always heard they were very accurate for a semi-auto but it surprised me. Recoil is mild for a .30-06.

Excellent trigger (3.25#) and the action is as smooth as butter.....22" barrel. It uses plain French Walnut wood, it's a excellent gunstock wood but it's gets a yellowish hue to it as it ages. 22-line cut checkering.

It's no lightweight at near 9# as pictured but you don't feel it much in-hand due to the excellent balance.

While the Belgian-made examples can bring a bit more they are not really a collectable rife (except for the higher grades). It's more of a user's rifle where a hunter wants a really nice semi-auto with bolt action accuracy.
Shhhhh. Are you going to go wabbit hunting?

View attachment 782572

You got a good deal....

View attachment 782572

That's an AR-15!

Right pretty rifle. But they had a lot of nerve calling it a "BAR." :laughing0301:

I guess BS-AR did not have the same ring to it....Meh, their company, their rules. ;)

That said it's no different than S&W renaming plastic/MIM wonders after classics like the M&P and Victory Model revolvers....Same with the new Colt snake guns.

Blah, I don't even know what to call a Ruger "Marlin" other than too expensive.

View attachment 782572

It's no lightweight at near 9# as pictured but you don't feebl it much in-hand due to the excellent balance.

There was one of those in my aunt&uncle's gun cabinet. But hubby got her the best one with the fancy gold engraving.

Beautiful. She always got one. Always. Years later I'm talking to her son and I'm like "You know, your mama's chili was the best I ever

had, and no matter what I do, I can't quite replicate it."

He goes : "You didn't know? That was deer meat chili, or half n half."

She took a deer every year and I ate a lot of it. She'd cook it special for me, even. I loved it!

She had a BAR 30-.06 with the gold deer engraving and it was glossy and checkered and fancy.

Her hubby had a nice Marlin 30-30. Gold colored bolt. (probably brass)

IDGAF what the internet says. The part that moved to chamber the rounds was gold colored on the husband's rifle.

I know what I saw in that gun cabinet for years and years..some days I'd watch the Mickey Mouse club in the afternoon in that room.

Usually that's where I slept, too..In a La-Z-Boy.

It was better than the spare bedroom bed. :dunno:

Last edited:
There was one of those in my aunt&uncle's gun cabinet. But hubby got her the best one with the fancy gold engraving.

Beautiful. She always got one. Always. Years later I'm talking to her son and I'm like "You know, your mama's chili was the best I ever

had, and no matter what I do, I can't quite replicate it."

He goes : "You didn't know? That was deer meat chili, or half n half."

She took a deer every year and I ate a lot of it. She'd cook it special for me, even. I loved it!

She had a BAR 30-.06 with the gold deer engraving and it was glossy and checkered and fancy.

Her hubby had a nice Marlin 30-30. Gold colored bolt. (probably brass)
I never cared for the Grade 2 guns, I thought the engraving was butt ugly.

1968-Vintage-Belgian-Browning-Grade-II-BAR-Magnum-Rifle-in-7mm-Remington-Magnum-w-Redfield-Base-Gorg_101337909_70986_2A2822944F996B28.JPG

Grades 3-5 were fine.

III
13132078_08_browning_bar_grade_ii_sku_3_12_640.jpg

This is one never went into production .Too bad I would have bought one. The video said it had an accuracy problem. But can that be fixed? It is a real nice looking rifle.

This is one never went into production .Too bad I would have bought one. The video said it had an accuracy problem. But can that be fixed? It is a real nice looking rifle.

The receivers were made at Pine Tree Castings where most of the Ruger investment cast stuff is made.

They also made a run of M1 Garand receivers that were mated with like new Danish M1 Garand parts kits. I can't remember who sold them (not Ruger) but I found one at a yard sale years ago. It shot very well but I traded it off for a M1 Carbine.

Looks like the Ruger Mini 14 ranch rifle. It is .223/5.56 and it is a great, very popular rifle. I would not mind having it in .308/7.62. That would be a great competitor for the Springfield M-14.

Forum List

Back