Getting Ready to Mow the Back Yard

CarlinAnnArbor

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2016
I've been chased out of my own backyard twice now trying to mow. I get swarmed by yellow jackets. So, I decided I need to dress for this battle. 😂

Screenshot_20230825-165604_20230825165851165.jpg

Last edited:
They have an underground nest but I haven't been able to find it yet. They just "appear."

They have an underground nest but I haven't been able to find it yet. They just "appear."

Go out in the early morning on a sunny day with a pair of low power binoculars near your house and just lay down low. You'll eventually see a place where one comes out of or returns to every once in a while at the entrance to their nest.

Gee, if you are mowing over them, no wonder they are pissed off!

When you find the opening, really piss them off my taking a sledge and pound the opening shut. Then keep pounding on the ground giving them seismic shocks.

Then stick a deep rooter / deep feeder into the ground about two feet down as far as you can get it and pour in straight about a pint of pure insecticide. It'll hit the nest and travel through the tunnels.

Don't do that too close to a tree or you might make it sick too.

I just found out their stingers are 1.5 mm long! They MAY be able to penetrate a bee keeper suit! I'll be wearing a sweatshirt under that suit and duct tape over my socks.

Forum List

Back