Getting to be that time of year

What was one of your "most memorable" moments of teaching this school year?
Maybe this is a bit of recency bias, but I took a class of non-native English speakers to the school library and at one point me and the librarian looked around and sure enough they looked like a bunch of college kids doing research. Then one of the kids actually said to me “hey Mr. I feel like I’m in college.” That made me very pleased. And I hope that in a couple of years he will find himself there.

Maybe this is a bit of recency bias, but I took a class of non-native English speakers to the school library and at one point me and the librarian looked around and sure enough they looked like a bunch of college kids doing research. Then one of the kids actually said to me “hey Mr. I feel like I’m in college.” That made me very pleased. And I hope that in a couple of years he will find himself there.
I don't think most teachers realize how much of a positive influence they make on students. There will always be those (students and teachers) that are the exception, but for the majority, it really does make a lasting impact. Thank you for teaching and making a difference in "your" kids' lives.

I don't think most teachers realize how much of a positive influence they make on students. There will always be those (students and teachers) that are the exception, but for the majority, it really does make a lasting impact. Thank you for teaching and making a difference in "your" kids' lives.
Yes I second that. Thank you Uno for doing what you do.

It's great to see some students who you weren't sure would make it, preparing for graduation.
These days ... anyone graduates regardless of academic prowess. Our newest hire and recent high school graduate has to ask Siri how to spell very basic and simple, 3rd grade level words. In other words ... many graduates are dumb asses.

These days ... anyone graduates regardless of academic prowess. Our newest hire and recent high school graduate has to ask Siri how to spell very basic and simple, 3rd grade level words. In other words ... many graduates are dumb asses.
So why did you hire that person when the labor pool is overflowing with great workers.

So why did you hire that person when the labor pool is overflowing with great workers.
I didn't hire him. He's a relative to the person who did. Plus, under Bidenomics, starting wages aren't enough to pay the bills of good, qualified workers so we likely wouldn't have been able to hire a good worker to begin with.

Well, we are officially in "slow time." Grades are in, seniors have graduated, just a few more days to go before the official end of the academic year. To say the kids are less than fully motivated would be an understatement.

Well, we are officially in "slow time." Grades are in, seniors have graduated, just a few more days to go before the official end of the academic year. To say the kids are less than fully motivated would be an understatement.

School times vary so widely by state and regions. I'm always astounded when some districts in the SW start in late JULY, but get out mid-May (!?). We're one of the later areas--our last day was last Friday, and we start back the week before Labor Day.

East Coasters like you sometimes go through the end of June, but don't return until the Wed after Labor Day. Kinda wild to me. Seems it used to be pretty uniformly Memorial Day-Labor Day.

School times vary so widely by state and regions. I'm always astounded when some districts in the SW start in late JULY, but get out mid-May (!?). We're one of the later areas--our last day was last Friday, and we start back the week before Labor Day.

East Coasters like you sometimes go through the end of June, but don't return until the Wed after Labor Day. Kinda wild to me. Seems it used to be pretty uniformly Memorial Day-Labor Day.
Depends on how many snow days there were in the winter.

And now, a class of 35 is down to 7. Mighty quiet.

With the heat kicking in as of tomorrow, there may be no one here but us teachers.

The rest of the week called off due to...heat...

Whatever

The rest of the week called off due to...heat...

Whatever
Baltimore County and City schools close from time to time due to heat as well. One would think air conditioning would be normalized in public schools across the country by now, but it isn't. When I lived in FL, it was normal to hear of schools closing for the same reason.

Forum List

Back