Giffords seeks "bold" action as Congress takes up gun control

Sarah G

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left
Mar 4, 2009
(Reuters) - Former congresswoman Gabby Giffords, grievously wounded in a 2011 mass shooting, made an emotional plea on Wednesday for Congress to take action to curb gun violence, but a National Rifle Association executive said new gun laws "have failed in the past and they'll fail again."

Speaking haltingly, Giffords implored lawmakers to "be bold, be courageous" as she opened testimony at the first congressional hearing on gun violence since the December 14 massacre in which a gunman shot dead 20 children and six adults at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut.

Responding to outrage across the country following that incident, President Barack Obama and other Democrats have asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.

"Speaking is difficult. But I need to say something important," Giffords, who survived a head wound in an assassination attempt in Tucson, Arizona in which six people were killed and 13 others wounded, told the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Gabby Giffords: Too many children are dying | Video | Reuters.com

Sometimes I question, have doubts, wonder about whether there is a God, a higher order, a supreme entity out there somewhere and then I see someone like Gabby.

I believe she was spared that day for a reason. Gabby and Wayne LaPierre, the forces of good and evil, clearly.

Her husband may be thinking about a congressional future or at least more activism.

Yeah she was spared so she could be instrumental in leaving law abiding citizens defenseless in the face of violence.

And btw owning a weapon does not make one evil.

Yeah she was spared so she could be instrumental in leaving law abiding citizens defenseless in the face of violence.

I don't call being denied access to high capacity clips and assault weapons defenseless.

Also, LaPierre isn't merely a gun owner. He's slightly more than someone with an opinion here. He has a vested interest.

The guy is evil and not even smart about it.

Great, another Cindy Sheehan

nothing like pimping yourself to slam the people of this country

don't care what this woman has to say...She is out of politics she can go away like you all want palin to do

Last edited:

I don't call being denied access to high capacity clips and assault weapons defenseless.

Also, LaPierre isn't merely a gun owner. He's slightly more than someone with an opinion here. He has a vested interest.

I have a vested interest in keeping my guns. Me and my wife.

I don't pay much attention to the NRA as I am not a member. The only time I have to deal with the NRA is when I am required to take a safety course.

And how many times do you have to be told that magazine (not clip) size is irrelevant?
Anyone can fire off 3 ten round magazines in about the same time as 1 thirty round magazine.

So what is the difference here? A couple seconds at most.

If you have to resort to calling the guy evil just because he has an opinion different than yours, then I question your ability to defend your position without resorting to demonization.

Its also an insult to those who have suffered the macinations of those truly evil.

Right....so given we know that countries who have safety-based laws have homicide rates around 75% lower than the US, you would feel such a move would leave you endangered.

Interesting.

Um...what?

The only slamming I see going on here is the people endlessly whining about how much they hate the current American government.

Weren't you the poster comparing the US with Nazi Germany this week?

It would be nice to see posters like yourself show a little more respect for the decision the American people made at the ballot box.

Um...what?

The only slamming I see going on here is the people endlessly whining about how much they hate the current American government.

It would be nice to see posters like yourself show a little more respect for the decision the American people made at the ballot box.

worry about your own country and your government..I don't stick my nose in it
now kindly shut up

Last edited:

Right....so given we know that countries who have safety-based laws have homicide rates around 75% lower than the US, you would feel such a move would leave you endangered.

Interesting.

How about the violent crime rate?

Violent crime can be committed without a gun but it is easier to defend yourself with a gun than with any other weapon and certainly easier than hand to hand.

What am I to do against 2 or more people intent on breaking into my house to do me harm? And don't give me the probability of that happening shit because it only has to happen once.

Just ask Dr. Petit from CT whose wife and daughters were raped and burned alive in their own home by a couple of deviants. What was the probability of that happening?

Yes people just need to give Obama anything he wants.

He won.

Great, another Cindy Sheehan

don't care what this woman has to say...She is out of politics she can go away like you all want palin to do

You are a nasty piece of work. Any woman who stands up for something you do not believe in are 'pimping' themselves? These women have both suffered, karma will get you.

Um...what?

worry about your own country and your government..I don't stick my nose in it
now kindly shut up

Everyone in this board has a right to their opinion, even an ignoramus like you.

Violent crime can be committed without a gun but it is easier to defend yourself with a gun than with any other weapon and certainly easier than hand to hand.

What am I to do against 2 or more people intent on breaking into my house to do me harm? And don't give me the probability of that happening shit because it only has to happen once.

Violent crime can be committed without a gun, but the experience of countries like the UK is that it generally isn't.

Sure, gangs are going to carry knives and use them, but at the end of the day a knife is less likely to kill innocent bystanders, and is less likely to kill multiple victims. When was the last time you heard of one person killing 10 or more people with a knife?

No one is suggesting that you can not have a gun at home, and certainly I have no problem with you having a gun at home for self-defense, but what I can say is that I live in a country where, in the event of attack, I basically know the assailant does not have a gun on him.

In which case a call to the cops, the presence of a large dog or a baseball bat are likely to have some deterrent effect.

The proof here is in the stats. People in the UK are less likely to die of gun shot wounds, because are less guns to shoot them. The lower homicide rate proves this works.

He won.

I'm not saying you need to bend over and spread 'em - I'm saying it's worth posters like Stephanie showing a little respect to the American people and their voting choices.

You had an election, and a guy won. Accept that, and know you'll have another vote in another 2 years. Enjoy having that right, and celebrate living in a country where that right is protected.

He won.

I'm not saying you need to bend over and spread 'em - I'm saying it's worth posters like Stephanie showing a little respect to the American people and their voting choices.

You had an election, and a guy won. Accept that, and know you'll have another vote in another 2 years. Enjoy having that right, and celebrate living in a country where that right is protected.

lol, I'll show the same RESPECT they showed Bush...but of course you only joined here last year so what would you know
Stop friggen whining and save the sermons

Last edited:
(Reuters) - Former congresswoman Gabby Giffords, grievously wounded in a 2011 mass shooting, made an emotional plea on Wednesday for Congress to take action to curb gun violence, but a National Rifle Association executive said new gun laws "have failed in the past and they'll fail again."

Speaking haltingly, Giffords implored lawmakers to "be bold, be courageous" as she opened testimony at the first congressional hearing on gun violence since the December 14 massacre in which a gunman shot dead 20 children and six adults at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut.

Responding to outrage across the country following that incident, President Barack Obama and other Democrats have asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.

"Speaking is difficult. But I need to say something important," Giffords, who survived a head wound in an assassination attempt in Tucson, Arizona in which six people were killed and 13 others wounded, told the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Gabby Giffords: Too many children are dying | Video | Reuters.com

Sometimes I question, have doubts, wonder about whether there is a God, a higher order, a supreme entity out there somewhere and then I see someone like Gabby.

I believe she was spared that day for a reason. Gabby and Wayne LaPierre, the forces of good and evil, clearly.

Her husband may be thinking about a congressional future or at least more activism.

Good greef

Forum List

Back