Glitch allows fed workers unemployment

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
Under yet another convoluted federal regulation, government workers laid off in the shutdown can file for state unemployment even though they will receive back pay from the federal government. There is no venue for the state to recover the payment once the federal workers receive their back pay. If we have a glitch like this in the system imagine what might we find in the admittedly poorly written 10,000 word Hussein/care law?

Under yet another convoluted federal regulation, government workers laid off in the shutdown can file for state unemployment even though they will receive back pay from the federal government. There is no venue for the state to recover the payment once the federal workers receive their back pay. If we have a glitch like this in the system imagine what might we find in the admittedly poorly written 10,000 word Hussein/care law?

I believe it's a pretty safe bet that the furloughed employees will receive back pay, which if they have drawn unemployment benefits from the state it will be considered an overpayment and the state can go back for the money. So you statement that there is no venue for the state to recover the money, appears to me to be false. They file the overpayment and send you a bill. When you have outstanding money owed to the state they have a variety of avenues to encourage you to return the money such as bill collection or withholding services (for example not renewing a drivers license, keeping tax refunds that are due, or having pay docked.

Most states pretty much function the same way.

"If federal employees are later paid for time not worked, the payment will be considered back pay and it will result in an overpayment of any unemployment compensation benefits paid," ADOL said in the announcement.

Furloughed federal workers impacted by government shutdown can now file for unemployment online | al.com

NOTE: If Federal employees are later paid for time not worked, the payment will be considered back pay and it will result in an overpayment of any unemployment insurance benefits paid.

Federal Shutdown 2013 - Unemployment Insurance Procedures - Unemployment Insurance Claimants

NOTE: If Congress decides employees who were previously placed on non pay status shall be paid for the time not worked, any benefits paid will be an overpayment and you may be required to repay any overpaid unemployment benefits during the period of your furlough.

Federal Shutdown ? Unemployment Benefits for Furloughed Workers | Unemployment Insurance

Last edited:

I believe that before applying for unemployment benefits you MUST be unemployed. That is not the case with the federal workers, they have not been fired or terminated. They have been furloughed which means that they are still employed.
I noted you did not provide a link for your ignorant post. Please tell me why I should believe anything you post now or in the future.

Last edited:

I believe it's a pretty safe bet that the furloughed employees will receive back pay, which if they have drawn unemployment benefits from the state it will be considered an overpayment and the state can go back for the money. So you statement that there is no venue for the state to recover the money, appears to me to be false. They file the overpayment and send you a bill. When you have outstanding money owed to the state they have a variety of avenues to encourage you to return the money such as bill collection or withholding services (for example not renewing a drivers license, keeping tax refunds that are due, or having pay docked.

Most states pretty much function the same way.

"If federal employees are later paid for time not worked, the payment will be considered back pay and it will result in an overpayment of any unemployment compensation benefits paid," ADOL said in the announcement.

Furloughed federal workers impacted by government shutdown can now file for unemployment online | al.com

NOTE: If Federal employees are later paid for time not worked, the payment will be considered back pay and it will result in an overpayment of any unemployment insurance benefits paid.

Federal Shutdown 2013 - Unemployment Insurance Procedures - Unemployment Insurance Claimants

NOTE: If Congress decides employees who were previously placed on non pay status shall be paid for the time not worked, any benefits paid will be an overpayment and you may be required to repay any overpaid unemployment benefits during the period of your furlough.

Federal Shutdown ? Unemployment Benefits for Furloughed Workers | Unemployment Insurance

Nobody ever said the states don't have ways to collect money. The problem is that the unemployment payments were "legal" despite the back pay. It's hard to say if states even have a way to check if federal workers received back pay.

whitehall posted:
Nobody ever said the states don't have ways to collect money. The problem is that the unemployment payments were "legal" despite the back pay. It's hard to say if states even have a way to check if federal workers received back pay.

Ron sez:
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the federal government keeps records of who they pay and how much they were paid. Those records would be available to the states.

Last edited:
There is no venue for the state to recover the payment once the federal workers receive their back pay. If we have a glitch like this in the system imagine what might we find in the admittedly poorly written 10,000 word Hussein/care law?
Nobody ever said the states don't have ways to collect money.

Ummm...

Yes there was. You in the OP.

The problem is that the unemployment payments were "legal" despite the back pay.

That's not a problem at all, it's the way the system is supposed to work. If EEs are laid off they can apply for and receive unemployment through the cognizant State agency.

If at a later time Congress passes the bill, which appears to have more than enough support, to retro-pay the furloughed EEs, then under unemployment rules they were not eligible for unemployment and so such payments become an "overpayment" which the State can then recoup.

It's hard to say if states even have a way to check if federal workers received back pay.

I can't speak for how it works in every State but I work in Human Resources for an organization in Virginia. When an Ex-EE applies (or a laid off employee) applies to the Virginia Employment Commission for unemployment a claim record is opened. The VEC then has a Case Officer contract the last employer for each and every claim to determine the circumstances surrounding why the EE is out of work. If the EE resigned or was let go for cause, then they are not eligible for unemployment. If they were RIF'd or their position was eliminated, then they are.

We are also required and must provide to the Claim's Officer documentation as required to support our position. In the case of the furlough each employee received (and the government has a copy) of their furlough notification and the Claim's Officer can request that either from the EE or the Employer and this I know as we routinely get documentation requests from the VEC.

>>>>

Last edited:
Obama signed the bill to give them back pay?

IIRC, not yet.

I believe the bill has passed the House and Obama has indicated he would sign it. It is waiting action in the Senate.

Someone feel free to correct me if that is not current.

>>>>

I will tell my son an son in law....they make about 150-200k per year...but what the hell....

Forum List

Back