GM encouraging text-driving in hopes of more car crashes.

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
This is as sick as it gets but that's GM for you. Car crashes are good for business and that's all they care about.

Scan license plates so you can text other drivers with GM?s new app | Digital Trends

June 21, 2014

There are plenty of smartphone apps that make it easier to flirt and set up dates with strangers, but GM has an ace up its sleeve that may trump all of them. No, the car manufacturer isn’t muscling its way into the dating game – at least not directly. But its China R&D team has developed an Android app that lets a driver scan a license plate in order to start texting the owner of that car.

The romantic implications of DiDi Plate, a prototype app debuted earlier this month at the Telematics Detroit 2014 conference, are obvious enough, even to GM. A video demo at the conference run by John Du, director of GM’s China R&D Division, even highlighted a scenario where a male driver scans the license plate in front of him in order to see that female driver’s profile. He smoothly proceeds to tell her that he’s going to a mountain and would like someone to go with, to which she responds, “OK, let’s go together.”

You could scan my plate all day long and I guarantee you won't be able to text me.

You could scan my plate all day long and I guarantee you won't be able to text me.

What if the scanning continues into the night? :dunno:

I'm certain you can opt out if you do not wish to be bothered by other drivers.

The implication that this will cause texting while driving, is somewhat laughable, as you need to scan the licence from outside the car ... presumably.

Why do they need an app to help people? I see idiots texting while driving all the time now without it.

And in a perfect world texters would only run into fellow texters while not paying attention to driving.

I'd enjoy it to let the other driver know what an asshole they are when they're driving like one.

Asshole?? Text-drivers are psychopaths with no concern for the safety of others. Govt should put up billboards along highways saying that.

A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

This is as sick as it gets but that's GM for you. Car crashes are good for business and that's all they care about.

Scan license plates so you can text other drivers with GM?s new app | Digital Trends

June 21, 2014

There are plenty of smartphone apps that make it easier to flirt and set up dates with strangers, but GM has an ace up its sleeve that may trump all of them. No, the car manufacturer isn’t muscling its way into the dating game – at least not directly. But its China R&D team has developed an Android app that lets a driver scan a license plate in order to start texting the owner of that car.

The romantic implications of DiDi Plate, a prototype app debuted earlier this month at the Telematics Detroit 2014 conference, are obvious enough, even to GM. A video demo at the conference run by John Du, director of GM’s China R&D Division, even highlighted a scenario where a male driver scans the license plate in front of him in order to see that female driver’s profile. He smoothly proceeds to tell her that he’s going to a mountain and would like someone to go with, to which she responds, “OK, let’s go together.”

By that logic McDonald's and every other fast food outlet with a drive through has been enouraging car crashes for decades.

The irony of privacy in this latest generation of 20 somethings is they say they are very concerned with their privacy but then proceed to put their entire lives online - and now, potentially, even allowing anyone who sees their license plate to get their name.

Last edited:
GM killed Oldsmobile and Pontiac.

Then they needed taxpayers money to save their undeserving miserable hide.

Then they produced unsafe junk with the taxpayers money.

Piss on them forever.

Hudson died. Studebaker died. Packard died.

It is time for the biggest corporate leach, GM, to follow suit.

Last edited:
Hell, women have been applying makeup while driving to work and it never became a large issue...

It should be but the auto industry pays the news media to not talk about things like that. Every highway fatality is just an "accident" according to the press. 100 americans killed every DAY(!!!) on the highways and the press says no big deal.

Hell, women have been applying makeup while driving to work and it never became a large issue...

It should be but the auto industry pays the news media to not talk about things like that. Every highway fatality is just an "accident" according to the press. 100 americans killed every DAY(!!!) on the highways and the press says no big deal.

Yeah, it's a dead subject...people have heart attacks everyday and yet the news media never reports them....

Yeah, it's a dead subject...people have heart attacks everyday and yet the news media never reports them....

12146_720202661370215_7286157221561383962_n_zps9a17e18c.jpg

Forum List

Back