GM makes a nice $10,000 car but Obama won't let you buy it.

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
I drive a $2000 car and it runs and looks great. It's used. Only morons buy new cars.

GM?s $9,800 Car . . . The One We?re Not Allowed to Buy |

Posted on June 6, 2013
How much is the EPA and DOT costing you?

One way to quantify this is to consider a car GM builds – but which you can’t buy. Well, not unless you move outside the United States – and beyond the diktats and fatwas of the EPA and DOT.

It is called the Sail – and GM makes it in China. It retails for 60,000 yuan – equivalent to about $9,800 in “federal” reserve notes.

Demand for the car is so great that GM plans to increase its exports of the Sail to countries like Chile and Ecuador by nearly 70 percent, according to a recent Reuters article (see here).

It just won’t be exported here.

Those two federal agencies mentioned at the beginning of this story. These unelected and unaccountable bureaucracies have made it illegal – a criminal offense – to sell you a car like the Sail. Which, by the way, is neither primitive nor pathetic. The most recent design is a modern and aesthetically appealing sedan or five-door hatchback wagon with a Corvette-inspired “dual cockpit” dash layout. The car has AC, power windows, power door mirrors and a modern stereo with Bluetooth wireless and music streaming. It even has a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

It would look at home on any road – and in any garage – in the Western world.
/QUOTE]

I bought a brand new Toyota in the year 2000, I'm still driving it. That makes me very smart and not a "moron." Do the math.

I bought a brand new Toyota in the year 2000, I'm still driving it. That makes me very smart and not a "moron." Do the math.

What did it cost you? $50,000?? I bought a used truck in 2000 for $1700 and drove it till late 2012. Only vehicle i had, by the way.

Now that's smart.

I drive a $2000 car and it runs and looks great. It's used. Only morons buy new cars.

Posted on June 6, 2013

One way to quantify this is to consider a car GM builds – but which you can’t buy. Well, not unless you move outside the United States – and beyond the diktats and fatwas of the EPA and DOT.

It is called the Sail – and GM makes it in China. It retails for 60,000 yuan – equivalent to about $9,800 in “federal” reserve notes.

Demand for the car is so great that GM plans to increase its exports of the Sail to countries like Chile and Ecuador by nearly 70 percent, according to a recent Reuters article (see here).

Those two federal agencies mentioned at the beginning of this story. These unelected and unaccountable bureaucracies have made it illegal – a criminal offense – to sell you a car like the Sail. Which, by the way, is neither primitive nor pathetic. The most recent design is a modern and aesthetically appealing sedan or five-door hatchback wagon with a Corvette-inspired “dual cockpit” dash layout. The car has AC, power windows, power door mirrors and a modern stereo with Bluetooth wireless and music streaming. It even has a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

/QUOTE]

thats because you are cheap fucker.....

Posted on June 6, 2013

/QUOTE]

So you are basically bashing Obama for not importing cars from China?
The article never even really went over why it isn't coming here.

What about EPA and safety requirements? Which it does not match.

And the cars made in china are sold to china. It really profits GM here in America.
They don't import vehicles to the US.

Posted on June 6, 2013

/QUOTE]

thats because you are cheap fucker.....

lol

Posted on June 6, 2013

/QUOTE]

So you are basically bashing Obama for not importing cars from China?
The article never even really went over why it isn't coming here.

What about EPA and safety requirements? Which it does not match.

And the cars made in china are sold to china. It really profits GM here in America.
They don't import vehicles to the US.

Are the Government Motors suits smart enough to keep their foreign profits offshore or bring them home to help feed the federal tax beast?

Posted on June 6, 2013

/QUOTE]

Since emission standards are set by Congress and implemented by the EPA to the standards Congress sets, how is Obama responsible for this, exactly?

And, by the way, would you prefer to live in the kind of toxic soup Chinese live in? We once did, back before environmental legislation and government agencies like the EPA, but we got smart. I guess you didn't get the memo that the rest of us don't want to return to the "good ol' days" when Los Angeles smelled like rotten fruit and the sky turned brown before the end of the work day.

Kia sells a great vehicle at a bargain basement price. We purchased a NEW one in April, and it gets great gas mileage, has all the bells and whistles, and rides and drives like a vehicle twice the price. We paid under $17,000 for it.

It's called the KIA SOUL.

Kia sells a great vehicle at a bargain basement price. We purchased a NEW one in April, and it gets great gas mileage, has all the bells and whistles, and rides and drives like a vehicle twice the price. We paid under $17,000 for it.

thats $15,000 more than Speeders would like to spend....

I have...and buying a new car is a loser, every time.

Jaraxle and Shootspeeders, much as I hate to admit it on the latter, are right. You lose a ton of money on "depreciation" -- an artificial bullshit number -- as soon as you drive that new car off the lot.

I bought a used Saturn in 2005 for $1100 on eBay. It's paid for itself many many times over in my business use because of its cheap running cost. Last night it brought me home from a 2000+ mile trip to Canada and back. When I do that math, I laugh all the way to the bank.

But Oldguy and Nitroz are right too; China has no emissions controls to speak of and it suffers as a result; plus, these cars being made in China, they're not going to go to the expense of exporting them here. And that $9800 price is set for the Chinese market, not ours.

But it would be nice if GM got off the SUV mentality (and if moron buyers stopped enabling it) and gave us a version of this car. It's gotta start with us though; if we want practical autos, let's quit buying the inverted bathtubs just because Big Auto tells us to.

I saw a documentary not too long ago about cars made for India and the serious issue of pollution they were causing. They were crazy cheap and everyone was buying one.

Of course they didn't come with things like seat belts or air bags, the windows didn't roll down and I don't think they even had radios....

You get what you pay for.

Anything so you can say "i bought a new car. I'm a big success". HAHAHA

Smart people like me don't care about impressing the insects.

[

But it would be nice if GM got off the SUV mentality (and if moron buyers stopped enabling it) and gave us a version of this car. It's gotta start with us though; if we want practical autos, let's quit buying the inverted bathtubs just because Big Auto tells us to.

GM gives us all sorts of useless features on cars like turn signals in the side mirrors so they can charge more, and distracting features like fancy audio systems and net access to cause crashes and thus sell more cars.

They could make a simple practical car for $10,000 but it's more profitable to sell junk esp since the idiot consumer has been brainwashed into wanting crap.

[

GM gives us all sorts of useless features on cars like turn signals in the side mirrors so they can charge more, and distracting features like fancy audio systems and net access to cause crashes and thus sell more cars.

They could make a simple practical car for $10,000 but it's more profitable to sell junk esp since the idiot consumer has been brainwashed into wanting crap.

Holy crap. I just had to put a "thanks" on a ShootSpeeders post. That's never happened before. But it's gotta be did, because he's right.

Heated side-view mirrors... cameras to back up by (cameras!)... electrically operated fan vent movers... :confused:

One time I did a car rental and ordered the smallest car but because it was Christmas and my birthday they gave me a Lincoln Town Car for ten bucks a day. It was educational to see what kind of inane crap they come up with -- this Town Car actually had a switch that electrically moves the accelerator pedal fore and aft so that the driver doesn't have to move his seat :eek:

Some of these designers need to be locked up.

I saw a documentary not too long ago about cars made for India and the serious issue of pollution they were causing. They were crazy cheap and everyone was buying one.

Of course they didn't come with things like seat belts or air bags, the windows didn't roll down and I don't think they even had radios....

No car should have a radio. Driving a car is super-dangerous for you and the other drivers and the idea of adding distracting devices to make it FUN is insane.

No car should have a radio. Driving a car is super-dangerous for you and the other drivers and the idea of adding distracting devices to make it FUN is insane.

Whew. Back to normal, you're wrong again and the world is as it should be.
There's nothing "distracting" about having a radio. It soothes the savage road rager by giving him something to think about besides whether that clown in the next lane is driving fast enough.

So no, having a radio in the car isn't insane. You are. Not just for this wacko idea but you still haven't explained how O'bama "won't let you buy" a car that GM doesn't sell.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back