GM makes a nice $10,000 car but Obama won't let you buy it.

I drive a $2000 car and it runs and looks great. It's used. Only morons buy new cars.

I bought a brand new Saturn for $14k in 1998 and I had it until 2010. Sounds pretty smart to me, dumb ass.

A Saturn, and you only kept it 12 years?

Whoever you sold it to is the one who got the deal, methinks. I bought my Saturn 12 years old with over 200,000 miles on it, which I took to be a record of reliable performance. And I was right, because I've put another 200,000 of my own on.

I paid $1100 -- somebody else paid for the depreciation.

I drive a $2000 car and it runs and looks great. It's used. Only morons buy new cars.

I bought a brand new Saturn for $14k in 1998 and I had it until 2010. Sounds pretty smart to me, dumb ass.

Whoever you sold it to is the one who got the deal, methinks. I bought my Saturn 12 years old with over 200,000 miles on it, which I took to be a record of reliable performance. And I was right, because I've put another 200,000 of my own on.

Well it was supposed to be the car company of the future. what happpened? my brother had a Saturn but I thought it was a joint venture with Mitsubishi.

After 12 years I was ready for something else and I make considerably more money now so I went out and bought a convertible Mustang. Sold the Saturn to a guy for $850. It had 180k on it.

Well it was supposed to be the car company of the future. what happpened? my brother had a Saturn but I thought it was a joint venture with Mitsubishi.

You might be thinking of the Dodge Colt? That was Mistubishi.

Saturn billed itself as a separate company (and to some degree acted like it within GM) but it was a GM brand. My GF who has a Vue with the infamous V-tech transmission that commits suicide, has a theory that that transmission and the lawsuits it engendered brought the downfall of the company. But they were made in Spring Hill, Tennessee.

My SW2 is easily the most reliable car I've ever had. And I've had a lot.

Is GM trying to sell the car here?
GM and many other companies make cars marketed for other countries with no plans to ever sell them in the US.

They can't. That car is nowhere near safe or clean enough to import here. Perfect for smog central though.

I bought a brand new Toyota in the year 2000, I'm still driving it. That makes me very smart and not a "moron." Do the math.
I bought a new Toyota in 1998 and am still driving it. Since I was planning on having it for at least a decade it was nice peace of mind knowing exactly how it has been driven, that the oil was always changed, etc. the entire history of the car is me. Maybe I could have saved a bit on annual car ownership costs by buying it used but over a 15 year span it isn't really significant.

New car not only depreciate by half on signing, but the owner is forever a slave to the dealership or mechanic for even the most routine repair.
I'm fine with people buying used cars and agree it can make good financial sense, but you went completely off the rails here.

A new car depreciates by half on signing? What on earth are you talking about? If I go buy a new car for $30k I can probably sell it at a private sale within a week for about $28k. Sure it has depreciated by driving off the lot but it doesn't magically become a $15k car because it has 40 miles on the odometer.

GM?s $9,800 Car . . . The One We?re Not Allowed to Buy |

Posted on June 6, 2013
How much is the EPA and DOT costing you?

One way to quantify this is to consider a car GM builds – but which you can’t buy. Well, not unless you move outside the United States – and beyond the diktats and fatwas of the EPA and DOT.

It is called the Sail – and GM makes it in China. It retails for 60,000 yuan – equivalent to about $9,800 in “federal” reserve notes.

Demand for the car is so great that GM plans to increase its exports of the Sail to countries like Chile and Ecuador by nearly 70 percent, according to a recent Reuters article (see here).

It just won’t be exported here.

Those two federal agencies mentioned at the beginning of this story. These unelected and unaccountable bureaucracies have made it illegal – a criminal offense – to sell you a car like the Sail. Which, by the way, is neither primitive nor pathetic. The most recent design is a modern and aesthetically appealing sedan or five-door hatchback wagon with a Corvette-inspired “dual cockpit” dash layout. The car has AC, power windows, power door mirrors and a modern stereo with Bluetooth wireless and music streaming. It even has a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

It would look at home on any road – and in any garage – in the Western world.
/QUOTE]

got a 2010 Chevy cobalt

it does over 40 mpg

in the summer

on 87 octane

little less if i use the corn squeezing additives

GM gives us all sorts of useless features on cars like turn signals in the side mirrors so they can charge more, and distracting features like fancy audio systems and net access to cause crashes and thus sell more cars.

They could make a simple practical car for $10,000 but it's more profitable to sell junk esp since the idiot consumer has been brainwashed into wanting crap.

Umm. from your own post about the Sail:
sedan or five-door hatchback wagon with a Corvette-inspired “dual cockpit” dash layout. The car has AC, power windows, power door mirrors and a modern stereo with Bluetooth wireless and music streaming. It even has a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

1. The vehicle you envy has the things like net access and audio systems that you believe can't come in a simple 10k car.

2. This is a car designed by GM to be manufactured and sold overseas, it was first produced in 2001. Most car manufacturers do this, if you go to Japan you see Hondas and Toyotas going by that you've never heard of.

3. You're an idiot.

If anyone here is interested in the truth, the car could meet US EPA standards AND minimum legal standards and be sold in the USA for about the same price.

This has nothing to do with partisans per se.

This is what happens when corporations run the country. The US is the world's sucker. We pay for medicines sold in Africa and Asia, and automobile manufacturers are not about to allow a basic easy to maintain $10,000 car to compete against the $15,000 - $50,000 pieces of shit they trot out for the stupidest voters on earth.

That is not going to happen and it is ENTIRELY the fault of people who vote for corporatists.

Kia sells a great vehicle at a bargain basement price. We purchased a NEW one in April, and it gets great gas mileage, has all the bells and whistles, and rides and drives like a vehicle twice the price. We paid under $17,000 for it.

It's called the KIA SOUL.

For $17K, forget that thing, I'll take a nice used Hemi Charger or Mustang GT!

[

But it would be nice if GM got off the SUV mentality (and if moron buyers stopped enabling it) and gave us a version of this car. It's gotta start with us though; if we want practical autos, let's quit buying the inverted bathtubs just because Big Auto tells us to.

GM gives us all sorts of useless features on cars like turn signals in the side mirrors so they can charge more, and distracting features like fancy audio systems and net access to cause crashes and thus sell more cars.

They could make a simple practical car for $10,000 but it's more profitable to sell junk esp since the idiot consumer has been brainwashed into wanting crap.

Holy crap. I just had to put a "thanks" on a ShootSpeeders post. That's never happened before. But it's gotta be did, because he's right.

Heated side-view mirrors... cameras to back up by (cameras!)... electrically operated fan vent movers... :confused:

Heated mirrors are a safety feature. I have owned three cars with them (2 Caprices & my Magnum) and REALLY miss them on my Jeep. Note: the truck I drive at work is a Ryder rental, built as cheap as possible. (It has crank windows, manual everything, not even a tilt column.) It has heated mirrors. Honestly, I could make a pretty good case for REQUIRING them, at least on trucks!

One time I did a car rental and ordered the smallest car but because it was Christmas and my birthday they gave me a Lincoln Town Car for ten bucks a day. It was educational to see what kind of inane crap they come up with -- this Town Car actually had a switch that electrically moves the accelerator pedal fore and aft so that the driver doesn't have to move his seat :eek:

That is, again, a nice feature. Without it, my mother COULD NOT DRIVE her Sable. She is very short (4'11"), and without adjustable pedals, she would be too close to the airbag. There are some vehicles she CANNOT drive (including my brother's Silverado pickup) because of this. Note: my Magnum had that as well as a telescoping column, though I find having both to be a bit of overkill.

Got to go with SS on this one.

I bought my 89 f-150 in 2003 for $700...and I've but 100,000 miles on it on top of the 100K it had in it when I bought it...maybe $2000 in non-regular maintenance repair doing it myself...and it still does what a brand new truck does.

Now I'm looking at going the other way...back into the 70's to find another Highboy or F-100.

My wife drives a pristine '93 Park Avenue that we paid $3000 for...but the engine has no distributor, no carburetor, no valve adjustment...even changing the spark plugs is challenging.

My wife's car has no distributor, no carb...it's a 1986. (It's a Buick Grand National, which got EFI & distributorless ignition in 1984.)

New car not only depreciate by half on signing, but the owner is forever a slave to the dealership or mechanic for even the most routine repair.

Hardly.

I have a 68 VW Beetle that is going to replace that Buick as soon as I get around to sprucin' her up a bit. I paid $600 for her and will likely put $3000 or more into getting her up to wifely standards...but you can fix a VW 1600cc engine by accident. :D

The VW Beetle is the worst car sold in the Unites States in the last 50 years.

Posted on June 6, 2013

One way to quantify this is to consider a car GM builds – but which you can’t buy. Well, not unless you move outside the United States – and beyond the diktats and fatwas of the EPA and DOT.

It is called the Sail – and GM makes it in China. It retails for 60,000 yuan – equivalent to about $9,800 in “federal” reserve notes.

Demand for the car is so great that GM plans to increase its exports of the Sail to countries like Chile and Ecuador by nearly 70 percent, according to a recent Reuters article (see here).

Those two federal agencies mentioned at the beginning of this story. These unelected and unaccountable bureaucracies have made it illegal – a criminal offense – to sell you a car like the Sail. Which, by the way, is neither primitive nor pathetic. The most recent design is a modern and aesthetically appealing sedan or five-door hatchback wagon with a Corvette-inspired “dual cockpit” dash layout. The car has AC, power windows, power door mirrors and a modern stereo with Bluetooth wireless and music streaming. It even has a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

/QUOTE]

Since emission standards are set by Congress and implemented by the EPA to the standards Congress sets, how is Obama responsible for this, exactly?

And, by the way, would you prefer to live in the kind of toxic soup Chinese live in? We once did, back before environmental legislation and government agencies like the EPA, but we got smart. I guess you didn't get the memo that the rest of us don't want to return to the "good ol' days" when Los Angeles smelled like rotten fruit and the sky turned brown before the end of the work day.

Double thanks.

I bought a brand new Toyota in the year 2000, I'm still driving it. That makes me very smart and not a "moron." Do the math.

If you buy a brand new car, take good care of it, avoid getting in any bad wrecks, and keep it until it no longer runs, you will get your money's worth out of it. Hopefully, you paid cash for the car and didn't pay additional financing costs for the car.

All that being said, I still buy used cars and I never finance them.
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer that I bought 6 years ago for $5000, I used it as my daily driver for 4 years, To date, that means it has cost me less than $850 a year base price (yes, I have had some maintenance costs, but nothing major). Additionally, KBB says it is still worth about $3400.
I also have a 2004 Saturn L300 (I use that as my daily driver right now) that I bought for $6200. It only has 77K miles on it right now, so it will be good for a number of years. In all likelihood it will also cost me less than a $850 a year to own it before it goes to the car graveyard.

Buying new or used can be a wise decision. I don't see buying a car as an investment that is going to make me richer, but more like a ROI that is going to reduce my future expenses, and what value I am going to get out of it.

Holy crap. I just had to put a "thanks" on a ShootSpeeders post. That's never happened before. But it's gotta be did, because he's right.

Heated side-view mirrors... cameras to back up by (cameras!)... electrically operated fan vent movers... :confused:

Heated mirrors are a safety feature. I have owned three cars with them (2 Caprices & my Magnum) and REALLY miss them on my Jeep. Note: the truck I drive at work is a Ryder rental, built as cheap as possible. (It has crank windows, manual everything, not even a tilt column.) It has heated mirrors. Honestly, I could make a pretty good case for REQUIRING them, at least on trucks!

You're actually too lazy to simply scrape the damn mirror? Really?

I can't stand that useless power-assisted mentality. I'm reminded of that every time I switch the ventilation control on my MINI and hear a motor running. A motor-- to change a vent. That's just insane.

Posted on June 6, 2013

/QUOTE]

got a 2010 Chevy cobalt

it does over 40 mpg

in the summer

on 87 octane

little less if i use the corn squeezing additives

I liked the Cobalt. I used to ask for them when I had to rent cars after mine was drowned in Katrina and before I got the Saturn.

Here's a resource to avoid the ethanol...
I used this last week to do a 2000 mile trip from here though New England and Canada and back, not easy areas to find unadulterated gas. I didn't use a drop of corn the whole way :D

Forum List

Back