Gold Worth $2.5 Million Found Hidden in Tank Bought on eBay

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
tank-soviet-credit-John-Harwood-cc2-wikipedia.jpg

A military enthusiast bought a tank on eBay recently and discovered $2.5 million of gold bars hidden inside in one of the most unexpected and intriguing places where gold has been found.

Nick Mead discovered the five gold bars stashed inside the diesel tank of the ex-Iraqi Army Type 69, a Chinese copy of the Soviet T-55, back in 2017.

It’s believed the bullion was looted by plundering Iraqi soldiers during the 1990 invasion of Kuwait but forgotten about inside the 36.7-ton tank.

Man regrets handing in the gold found in the tank from eBay​

Stunned by the discovery, Mead handed the gold to the authorities. Now, seven years later, he has admitted he wished he had kept the hidden booty.

The 62-year-old, who runs Tanks-a-Lot on his farm in England, told the Daily Mail: “I regret handing it in. I should have at least got a finders’ fee for it but I got absolutely nothing.”

“When we found the gold bars we didn’t know what to do with them. It’s not like you can take five gold bars down to the pawn shop. So we called the police.

“Gold has a fingerprint. They know where it’s been mined. It was definitely stolen from Kuwait. At the time there were all these wonderful conspiracy theories claiming we had kept it. But I haven’t got any money for it, sadly.”

Mead told the Daily Mail he isn’t sure what has happened to the gold and believed the authorities were still trying to track down the bullion’s owners.

The exact history of the tank is unknown but an inspection revealed it is a Chinese copy of the Russian T-55 design and manufactured under the designation Type 69.

It was built in the early 1980s and has just 1,507 miles on the clock. The vehicle was first bought by a self-taught mechanic, who has been restoring military vehicles for seven years, and resold on eBay.

Well at least Spain has not claimed it.....Yet.

Monumentally stupid.

Hand it to "the authorities" for what purpose? So the government can have it?

A military enthusiast bought a tank on eBay recently and discovered $2.5 million of gold bars hidden inside in one of the most unexpected and intriguing places where gold has been found.

Nick Mead discovered the five gold bars stashed inside the diesel tank of the ex-Iraqi Army Type 69, a Chinese copy of the Soviet T-55, back in 2017.

It’s believed the bullion was looted by plundering Iraqi soldiers during the 1990 invasion of Kuwait but forgotten about inside the 36.7-ton tank.

Stunned by the discovery, Mead handed the gold to the authorities. Now, seven years later, he has admitted he wished he had kept the hidden booty.

The 62-year-old, who runs Tanks-a-Lot on his farm in England, told the Daily Mail: “I regret handing it in. I should have at least got a finders’ fee for it but I got absolutely nothing.”

“When we found the gold bars we didn’t know what to do with them. It’s not like you can take five gold bars down to the pawn shop. So we called the police.

“Gold has a fingerprint. They know where it’s been mined. It was definitely stolen from Kuwait. At the time there were all these wonderful conspiracy theories claiming we had kept it. But I haven’t got any money for it, sadly.”

Mead told the Daily Mail he isn’t sure what has happened to the gold and believed the authorities were still trying to track down the bullion’s owners.

The exact history of the tank is unknown but an inspection revealed it is a Chinese copy of the Russian T-55 design and manufactured under the designation Type 69.

It was built in the early 1980s and has just 1,507 miles on the clock. The vehicle was first bought by a self-taught mechanic, who has been restoring military vehicles for seven years, and resold on eBay.

Monumentally stupid.

IMHO, he bought the tank, he bought the gold.

Give it back to him.

IMHO, he bought the tank, he bought the gold.

Give it back to him.
This is your wonderful government we are talking about.

What is theirs is theirs and what is yours is theirs.

Monumentally stupid.

Absolutely -- when you "find" such a thing, you keep your mouth shut!

I heard about a couple who found quite a bit of gold -- old coins -- on their property and they lost it because they told someone about it. Government seizure.

I knew a guy who had a small gold mine in Montana and he actually had to keep it hidden, as well as all the gold he took out of it -- quite a few million bucks worth of it. Kept it buried under his home.

I'm not sure about the story of being able to tell the origin of the gold. I mean, gold is gold. You can melt it and pour it into new ingots or cast jewelry with it, and it's still just gold. Any government low enough to steal a person's property is low enough to make up some bullshit about being able to tell you where it came from, to get you to hand it over. The man was a fool.

It's in the UK

Cool fauxrage though.
How would it be different in the US?

I remember a story where Neil Armstrong gave a girl a moon rock.

When she told the government, they confiscated it.

Monumentally stupid.

This reminds me of the idiots who happened to find gold coins in his back yard, and stupidly told people about them. Al they had to do, when once or twice a year, pawn off the coins and they could of lived lavishly.

This reminds me of the idiots who happened to find gold coins in his back yard, and stupidly told people about them. Al they had to do, when once or twice a year, pawn off the coins and they could of lived lavishly.

Yeah, same as the story I read. They just should have kept their mouths shut.

Absolutely -- when you "find" such a thing, you keep your mouth shut!

I heard about a couple who found quite a bit of gold -- old coins -- on their property and they lost it because they told someone about it. Government seizure.

I knew a guy who had a small gold mine in Montana and he actually had to keep it hidden, as well as all the gold he took out of it -- quite a few million bucks worth of it. Kept it buried under his home.

I'm not sure about the story of being able to tell the origin of the gold. I mean, gold is gold. You can melt it and pour it into new ingots or cast jewelry with it, and it's still just gold. Any government low enough to steal a person's property is low enough to make up some bullshit about being able to tell you where it came from, to get you to hand it over. The man was a fool.

Nice story.

What i find in my yard is mine, no one else. People who found oil in their backyards got royalties for that black gold. I find treasure, it is all mine.
Until it is taken from you.

My story should be one of cautious for you guys who don't want unaccountable Big Brother in your country. It is coming, China will make sure of it.

Monumentally stupid.

The guy was a fucking idiot...

How would it be different in the US?

I remember a story where Neil Armstrong gave a girl a moon rock.

When she told the government, they confiscated it.
The moon rock story is an urban legend. It never really happened.

Nice attempt at cover, though.

Ready to return to reality now?

Forum List

Back